Search

NYC Favorites!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Favorites!

We just got back from NYC and had the most amazing time!
We stayed at the Waldorf Astoria, and it was divine.
Our favorite places for food were:
Patsy's for Italian

Dos Caminos (the best Mexican food ever)

Blue Fin for Brunch (Lobster Benedict was delicious and couldn't even finish it, I was so full. They also include one free alcohol drink per person) The prices were surprisingly affordable.

Amy's Bread in Chelsea Market (Meatpacking District)

Bowery in Chelsea Market had the very best gelato!

Chelsea market also included my new favorite store "Buon Italia"...everything Italian!

Chinatown was a really neat place. However, very crowded. Couldn't stay there long, but I loved it.

I think I would have loved Little Italy if there were more people out. We went at a slow time, so there wasn't much to see.

The subways were easy to take, and I never felt afraid to be by myself. I did however, plan my routes before I got down there.

Just walking the streets was probably my favorite thing. So much to see. I was almost plowed down by a taxi one day, as I was so mesmorized by the sites and wasn't watching where I was going.

We took a carriage ride through Central Park for around $35. That was a wise choice. The guide gave us so much information, and we were able to see much more than if we had walked it.

Hope this helps someone, but I researched for months before our trip...had every detail mapped out (when we would eat, where we would eat)... I wasted time and paper. NY was nothing like I expected, it was much better!
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 02:11 PM

Mommy106

Interesting..
Throw away the plans?
I’ve done the same thing. I’ve planned this trip for three months. I have my itinerary down. I should !!!I’ve redone it 4 or 5 times, and I just got a wrench tossed in. Today I received a letter that my daughters & I got tickets to Regis & Kelly. It was so long ago that a sent for tickets. I hadn’t gotten a confirmation so I didn’t think we got them. And our days are (over) full.
I don’t have our meals planned out, (well not all of them) even though I do have a list of recommended restaurants.

How was NYC nothing like you expected but better?

D Day is Sunday… can’t wait.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

I had never been to NY, but had an image in my mind of it being dirty and unfriendly. Every single person I encountered was super friendly (I am from TN, so I know friendly!)

The subways were dirty, but who would expect a subway to be clean? I did think it would be quite dangerous, but took the adventure on anyway. I never once felt uncomfortable being by myself on the subway (daytime only).

When I say throw out the plans... I had every minute planned out. The first day I just walked and looked. It was so overwhelming. Since I had no idea where I was going our how to get there, I just asked a few locals where to find the best NY pizza. When I got more than one suggestion for the same place, that is where we headed. We probably only went to 2 restaurants that were on my original list.

Also, I re-did a list of "must dos" and "want to dos"...took it to the hotel conceirge (very helpful) and he crossed out and added to my list with honesty. Two of the things he crossed out were the Statue of Liberty - you can no longer go inside since 9/11, so we would have spent our entire saturday on the ferry just looking at it. Also, Ground Zero...nothing to see. We still would have liked to go, but put it to the bottom of our "want to" list.

I didn't have churches on my planned list, but suddenly became obsessed with them. St. Barts was incredible, and then St. Patrick's was breathtaking. We just sat there and took about 30 minutes to unwind and enjoy the surroundings. It is the most beautiful sight.

I hope this helps, and I hope I did not ramble to much... it was one of the best trips I have ever taken. Many great memories, and I have changed my plan of "would like to see NY one day" to "Must go back several times".

I hope you have as wonderful a time!
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

sorry, one more suggestion:

take an empty suitcase!

and don't forget, like I did, that you cannot take anything liquid on your carry on (olive oil, lighter - even if it is a gift)
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 10:37 AM

I'm a native New Yorker - and I'm so glad you came here and enjoyed yourself so much.

Just to let you and others know, as far as crime is concerned, when compared with either Nashville or Memphis, NYC has much lower crime rate! Examples: Murder rate for Memphis is 20 per 100,000, NY 6.6 per 100,000; rape: Memphis 58/100,000 to NY 17/100,000! Robbery - Nashville - 434/100,000 and NY is 304/100,000.
(And yet I wouldn't say no to going and visiting either of these citites in TN. As a matter of fact, I really hope to some day!)
With TV and movies perpetuating scary stuff, old concepts of New York can be hard to put to rest!
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 10:45 AM

And don't forget that those rates encompass all five boroughs. You're perfectly safe in almost any tourist area in Manhattan, unless you happened to be walking around the Village last night.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:45 PM

take an empty suitcase! ???

My 18 yr old wants to take an extra suitcase. What did you find,she would like to know? You can email me at [email protected] if you do not want to post it.

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

We found so many things to bring home! NY was like taking a trip around the world. I have always wanted to go to Italy, so I stocked up on Italian things from Buon Italia in Chelsea Market. Also, China Town! China Town was so crowded, but they had scarves for $4, knock of purses for really cheap, jewlery... My father-in-law travels to china often and brought me a necklace with magnetic beads...you can wrap it around your wrist, wear it as a choker, long necklace. I have gotten more compliments on that piece of jewlery. I found several in china town for $5! I brought one home for everyone.

I think your daughter might like the store called Myxyplyzk. It is at 125 Greenwich Ave. I know this address so well because it was the first time I got to hail a cab by myself. It apparently doesn't take much to thrill my soul! Anyway, this store had really neat stuff. I got a wall aquarium and some knick knacks. Rachel Ray gets some of her crazy dishes that she uses on 30 minute meals here.

I did not get to go here, but everyone was talking about Century 21...I guess it is like an outlet store of all of the high end stuff...I heard 80% off of the designer brands. Can anyone confirm this?

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:22 PM

Chelsea Market & China Town are on our list of "musts".We plan on doing a lot of walking all over the city. Hope the weather is friendly.I've read mixed opinions of Century 21.I guess its one of those places you either love or hate. I don't think we're going to have time to find out for ourselves.
Glad you liked your trip. Thanks for the info.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 03:53 PM

thanks for the great trip report, mommy106!
My husband and I will be visiting NYC for the first time in May.

I'm curious about the carriage ride in Central Park. My husband proposed to me on a carriage ride in Chicago and we'll be arriving in NYC on our 16th anniversary. I would love to surprise HIM with a carriage ride this time.

Also, we had planned on visiting the Statue of Liberty, but I see that you opted not to do this. For anyone who HAS taken the ferry to the island, are you glad that you didn't miss out?

thanks,
shoppegirl
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 04:30 PM

Century 21 is a good place to find a bargain, but it can be very hit-or-miss. I used to work for Todd Oldham and there were women I worked with who had Century 21 salespeople on their payroll. These co-workers would pay salespeople to call them whenever anything good came in (I need a magenta backless cocktail dress with a designer label by next Friday). This is how competetive New Yorkers can be. There are women (and drag queens) who work on Wall Street who go to Century 21 every day on their lunch hour looking for a great find--like a Comme des Garcon poncho. Watch out for Louise Doktor, she is there all the time.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 05:04 PM

Mommacl,
How long before the show did you receive your Regis and Kelly tickets? I sent away for them a long time ago for the last week in March but haven't received anything so I'm thinking I'm not getting them. The website had said that they'd be sent three weeks before, but now the date I requested is less than two weeks away.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 06:08 PM

smithva,
I just got them on the 13th. I was surprised I thought I wasn't going to get them.
I sent away for those & GMA, hoping I'd get something. We have GMA for Wed. & Regis & Kelly for Thurs.

Good Luck,Hope your tickets come in.