NYC Double decker bus tours

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking to do one of the double decker bus tours. Can anyone recommend certain companies to use or which ones to stay away from? Also any tours that are more interesting?

Thanks!
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 05:43 AM

I've never done these tours b4 but have been looking into them bcuz my mom is coming to visit and we want to take her around the city. Anyway, I found this Party Shuttle tour that sounds like a good idea, it's more expensive but I have read good reviews about it. Type bus tours in the Fodor search and you will come up with several posts on the subject.

http://www.affiliate.viator.com/broc...C6HR&AUID=2511
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 05:55 AM

Last summer I took one of those red double decker bus tours. It's operated by Gray Lines. They have several routes available, the one I took originated in Times Square. You can get off at different points and reboard another bus later if you want. The ticker was $37 if I remember correctly and was good for the day. the folks selling the tickets can describe the different routes.

Nice relaxing ride and we had a great guide.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 07:13 AM

Yes, Gray Line is the one that is most popular I believe. We have done it a couple of times and find it to be informative and enjoyable. I think there are two routes and the one that travels south takes you past the Empire State Bldg., site of the WTC, and gives a glimpse of Statue of Liberty. The guides vary in their level of expertise and some are better than others. They do collect tips when you get off but of course, it isn't mandatory.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 07:15 AM

Grayline is the main co. There are 1 or 2 newer cos. We haven't heard much about the smaller cos. I see the buses and they are a bit smaller and have more upstairs outside seating (where the best views are). There are also 2 cos. that do smaller bus tours where they stay with you, Nypartyshuttle.com and kingofnyc.com There are pros and cons to both. Hop on/off gives you more flexibility, but it's not ideal in bad weather since you really have to sit upstairs to see.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank You! Grayline was the company I had found and wanted to be sure about. I think the idea of being able to hop on and off is appealing!
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 11:13 AM

I would recommend Gray Line....we have used it twice in the last 5 years with friends. If you buy the right ticket, it allows you to use the busses for 48 hours which may be a plus for some people - it was for us. Beware of sitting on the upper open level if it has rained the nite before - we both got our pants soaking wet from the seats within seconds and we were quite uncomfortable. We used both busses - you can tour upper and lower Manhatten.Also, if you plan to visit the SOL and Ellis Island, you can buy your tickets combined with the tour and it helps you to cut the line at Battery Park
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 11:42 AM

I too would recommend GrayLine. With our ticket (48 hour) we got the downtown and uptown loops as well as a night tour and a Brooklyn loop. The night tour isn't "hop on-hop off" but was fabulous as the views of the skyline from Brooklyn were superb.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 07:40 AM

Ok, stupid question. According to Gray Line's website, the Tour Time is from 9am to 5pm. So does that mean if you've hopped off and haven't hopped back on by 5, you're stuck where you are and have to find your own way back?
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Yes, it does. It's a tour bus, not a shuttle. They use those same buses for the evening tours. Fortunately, you won't be more than a $10 cab ride from your hotel. Just plan your day so at 5 PM you're in whatever area you planned for your evening activities.