Reload this Page >

NYC dining -- 71st and 3rd

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 11:19 AM
Patrick

Have my favorite restaurants, mainly midtown and downtown, but have always had brief stays in New York with every evening at the theatre. But at last we are spending a full month -- May 1 to June 1 -- renting an apartment at the corner of 71st and 3rd. Any suggestions for neighborhood restaurants -- all types of food and any price range? I have walked that area, but totally unfamiliar with specifics. What's really good or unusual? "Don't miss" type places and just good value places to make up for some of our big splurge nights?

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 12:41 PM
Caitlin

Patrick, I really can't help you at all with that neighborhood, but...if you aren't satisfied with the responses you get (or don't get) here, I urge you to try www.chowhound.com again. Typing upper east side or east 70s into the search box in the upper right corner of the main page (and/or looking at the advice/info on searching there) is a way to start. And I'm sure that if you post your question on the Manhattan message board, you'll get good responses. The regulars on the site are preoccupied with food and are generally very discerning.

Now, if you're interested in ideas for other areas as well, I'd be happy to share some newish (and quite moderate) gems I'm liking right now!

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 12:49 PM
Patrick

Thanks, Caitlin, I always respect your suggestions and was actually hoping you did have some knowledge of that area. I await word from Howard also, but suspect he is much more downtown oriented as well. One of the two of you put me on to Chowhound before and I have been reviewing that site as well. And yes, of course, always looking for ideas in other areas, and will still be spending many evenings at the theatre, just not ALL of them this time. Red Eye Grill is at the top of a list, which is mainly made up of your suggestions I believe.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 12:49 PM
grace

Is that where Grace's deli is located? We stayed in that same area a few years ago. I'll have to check my notes to see the names of the places where we ate. We loved our apartment there. How did you get so lucky as to spend a whole month there? This really brings back great memories. It was our first trip to NYC.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 01:00 PM
jason

try:
bistro le steak: (french bistro)77th and 3rd great service and food (our favorite on the UES)
Maison (77 and 2nd)-also french bistro-beautiful restaurant--theres also an italian restaurant attached
Madrid (77th and 2nd)-great spanish (tapas)
Doc Watsons (77th and 2nd)Great pub food and great people)
Rafina 78th and york--good greek restaurant

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 01:13 PM
guy

If ya want to walk just a bit further..ya might want to check out Rosa Mexicano at 59th and 1st Ave...but you will need a reservation....

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Patrick

Yes, Grace, we are actually in the same building above "your" deli on the corner. It's a small group of apartments called Allen House. We are both retired and travel all summer, usually in Europe, but staying in the states (and across Canada) this year. New York is our stop driving from Florida to Alaska -- a little out of the way, but a long awaited dream to spend a full month there.
Thanks also, Jason. Is 77th some sort of restaurant mecca?

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Howard

Patrick, I wouldn't let you down. Actually, I know the area just north of where you staying, as my daughter and son-in-law used to live on 3rd and 94th. I'll do some checking/research and let you know.
Meanwhile, I can recommend one brunch place: The Barking Dog--two locations (1453 York Ave. at 77th St. and 1678 Third Ave. at 94th St.). We went to the latter all the time when my daughter lived in the building. Caution: Cash only, no credit cards. Decent downhome food.
Sarabeth's has a branch at the Whitney Museum (75th & Madison).
If you feel like walking north 13 blocks, I can recommend a wonderful little restaurant called Paola's (245 East 84th, between 2nd & 3rd). It wouldn't be one of your inexpensive meals, but it's worth the walk! (No, it's not as expensive at La Metarie, not even close!)
I don't know how well you know the area, but it's loaded with little neighborhood-type restaurants, no matter which direction you walk.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 02:03 PM
Caitlin

Patrick, unfortunately (for you anyway!), I spend virtually no time on the UES; hence, I can't help you there. It was me who recommended Chowhound; you'll probably see my name all over it, because it is, hands down, my favorite web site, period. Great fund of knowledge, and great community of people. Don't hesitate to post your UES question there. Very active SF and LA boards, too.

There's a terrific Greek place on Barrow in th West Village called Ithaka; the owners recently opened a new theater district place called Kyma, on 8th at 46th (maybe 45th). Haven't been there yet, but it looks nice (walked by). Grand Sichuan International Midtown, 9th ave at 50th, can be very good--stick to the Sichuan dishes that are their specialty. They have a great descriptive menu that explains the food. Lots of posts about this place on Chowhund, mentioning specific dishes.

Once again I'll crow mention Eleven Madison Park (Madison at 24th), though it's more a big-ticket place. It's an easier reservation than the other Danny Meyer places because it's bigger. I had three terrific dinners there last year (in January, July, and December). IMO a place (because of the setting) for dinner, not lunch.

If you by chance are seeing Fully Committed, there are three good choices right on the same block of Bedford. Grange Hall, updated but classic (is that oxymoronic?) American, good cocktails. Mustache, good Middle Eastern. Chez Michallet, charming little (emphasis on little) French bistro.

Currently exciting me, and if you want to head straight south: Torabya. a little Turkish place on 3d between 21st and 22d. Good food, good prices, really pleasant people and cozy atmosphere. Live Turkish music on weekends. La Palapa, St. Mark's just west of 1st Ave. This is the place I keep wanting to go back to right now. Authentic Mexican--not Tex-Mex, not combo-plate Mex-American. Emphasis on meats and seafood with great and varied moles. Good margaritas and sangria. Nice room, casual, moderate prices (entrees under $20, and entrees are the strong point). Small and getting quite popular, so dinner reservations recommended for busier nights. (Also discussed recently on Chowhound.)

I'm sure I'll think og more before May ...

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 02:09 PM
lisa

Papaya King!

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 03:27 PM
Howard

A little of the subject, Patrick, but I assume you've already gotten your tickets for "The Producers" and "Follies." If not, I suggest you do it now!

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 04:17 PM
anne

Patrick - hope you have a great stay. IMHO, Red Eye Grill wouldn't be near the top of a list - much more in the middle of a list. Beacon, Michael's or Christer's in the same general vicinity have much better food for the same or lower prices. If you decide to go anyway, avoid the dancing shrimp appetizer. It's really expensive and dumb.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 05:04 PM
Patrick

Yes, Howard, those were the first two I booked when I knew we were going so have my favorite musical seats -- front row mezzanine for both. Also Bells are Ringing, One Flew Over. . .,and Design for Living. The rest I'll probably wing when we get there.
Thanks for the suggestions all, but still hoping for some more insider info about some of those great little neighborhood places in our area.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 06:15 PM
Howard

I'll have to disagree with Anne. I like Redeye Grill. It's hard to find a decent reasonably price seafood restaurant in NY. If you go, Patrick, ask for a table in the back. It's much less noisy.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 03:11 AM
Owen O'Neill

The only restaurants I've tried in the neighborhood are:
Totonno's - pizza restaurant on 2nd Ave between 80th & 81st. Sit down only and upscale atmosphere for a pizza place. Fantatstic [ies - the best I've tried in NYC (IMHO, better than either John's Pizzeria location).
Mon Petit Cafe - country French at corner of Lexington and 59th. Basic menu, reasonable prices, friendly but unobtrusive staff, Very good and very much a neighborhood place.

A bit further away but fun is El Pollo - a Peruvian place for grilled chicken. It's on 1st Avenue in the 90's - about a mile or so from where you'll be. Fantastic grilled chicken and excellent Peruvian side dishes. The green hot sauce is fiery but very tasty. Not upscale in any sense but very clean and service is efficient.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 04:32 AM
penny

One of our favorite restaurants is the upscale Cello. Wonderful seafood, on par with Le Bernadin. It is located on 77th St. between Madison and Park. No sign, just a doorway. Very very nice.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 04:39 AM
Lizzie

Jason was spot on with all of his suggestions - Maison is one of my favorite restaurants in the city; Doc Watson's is far and away my favorite bar on the Upper East Side. The tapas place is Tapareia Madrid, I think, and it's very good - I think they have flamenco dancers on Monday nights.

You might also try Caffe Bianco - the food is good and very inexpensive, and they have a beautiful little garden in the back, with a fountain - you'll feel like you're in Italy. There's a terrific BYOW Italian place on 77th between 2nd and 1st, closer to 2nd - forgetting the name right now but that's a favorite stand-by of mine. Also, Sushihana on 78th and 2nd is a good sushi place but the lines can go out the door. Canyon Road on 76th (I think) and 1st is good for Mexican.

I'd have to disagree with the Barking Dog suggestion - have had four friends who've gotten food poisoning there on four different occasions.

Annie's on 3rd between 78th and 79th is a great little brunch spot. Also, if you ever feel like getting bread/muffins/cookies, coffee, having brunch in or at the park, go to Ecce Panis, on 65th (? or near) on 3rd. Or pick something up at Eli's - super expensive, but their goat cheese and roasted vegetable sandwich is delicious.

For a nice dinner, Butterfield 81 just off 3rd (between 3rd and Lex) on 81st is wonderful.

I used to live in the neighborhood, and I love to eat!

However, for some of the cheapest and best dinners, I would recommend heading down to the East Village and the Lower East Side. That's my current fave for great new young chefs, and delicious dinners. If you want suggestions there... just let me know!

Liz

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 05:21 AM
Howard

Whoops! If what Lizzie says is so, then, the Barking Dog has certainly diminished in quality in the last couple years. But tell me, if your friends kept getting food poisoning, why did they keep going back? Hm?
I forgot about Eli's. Yes, it's relatively expensive but very good for brunch or lunch.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 05:29 AM
Lizzie

Barking Dog - sad but true. And, they don't keep going back - four different friends, four different occasions. Oh, I get you. They're actually friends who don't know each other very well - the topic of food poisoning didn't come up in their conversations, I guess.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 05:43 AM
Howard

Oh, four different friends. Now, I understands. It's sad to read that, as we used to go there all the time for brunch, lunch and dinner!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -