NYC- Broadway - The apple tree

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking about going to see The Apple Tree. what age kids is this for?
They enjoy musicals
They are 11 and 14
thanks
Melissa
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 08:26 AM

I saw the original (in my youth )

The website says for 11+
http://www.telecharge.com/tickets_Ap...io_54_all.aspx
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

thanks
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 09:41 AM

Melissa, unless you're a big fan of Kristen Chenoweth, you might not enjoy it. The reviews were raves for her but diminished enthusiasm for the show.
If you decide to see it, there are discount tickets available.
Have you thought about Hairspray?
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 10:26 AM

I'm making a special trip to New York the end of January for the SOLE purpose of seeing this production. The Apple Tree has long been a favorite of mine. It is three one act musicals, and the middle one is certainly the least effective. But the first one, based on the Diary of Adam and Eve by Mark Twain is simply delightful. And the last one, a sort of over the top parable of Ella, a female chimney sweep who becomes a Jayne Mansfield lookalike movie star is great fun. According to one friend, you'd swear the three roles were written for Kristen Chenowith.
While Howard might be right that the show itself isn't cutting edge, maybe dated, or not exciting on its own, nearly every review I read claims that Kristen Chenowith's three performances are MEMORABLE. What more do you need?
And regarding the ages -- sure. There is some sexual innuendo, but nothing the least bit graphic.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:13 AM

Well, Patrick, I agree that a Chenoweth performance is certainly worth experiencing....but it would be much more enjoyable with a better show!!!
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 12:33 PM

Howard, why not see it first and then judge? If I avoided the shows that the critics slam, I'd have missed a lot of really great shows. I didn't see any real "slams" against this show -- mainly vague comments about it being somewhat dated or not as exciting dialogue as it could be. Two critics actually compared it to an old Carol Burnett show -- that's bad? --frankly I'd take an old Carol Burnett show over much of the drivel on Broadway. As I said, The Apple Tree has been one of my favorites since the 1960's when it first came out. So it's dated? Some of us still like Gone with the Wind (and old Carol Burnett reruns)!
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 12:54 PM

Relax, Patrick and enjoy the holiday season! Hey, no one likes everything!
And, we may not agree on this point: I agree with the critics a lot more often than I disagree with them! And, with the price of theater tickets today, even at discount, I'm becoming very selective!
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 01:12 PM

Well I will agree with both of you. I know this show well as I was in it in college. Since we were trying to have more parts for the students, they gave the woman's role in each act to a different person. I was Eve in the first act. (Oh, if I could only sing like Kristin Chenoweth!!).

I will agree with Howard that the show might seem a little dated especially for kids/teenagers. But I will agree with Patrick that it's better than a lot of shows on Broadway now and I would definitely go to see Kristin Chenoweth. Hope you enjoy the show, Patrick. I will look forward to your review.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 01:32 PM

I think it's also worth pointing out, that this is not a huge musical with a giant cast. In fact it is about as close to a one-woman musical as you can get. Most of the entire score is ALL her. So if her performance is fantastic, that seems like the main thing to me.
By the way, here's the final paragraph of Ben Brantley's New York Times Review. This alone was enough to make me book the flights. I thought this greatly overshadowed his vaguely negative comments about the show in general:

"In her first moment on stage, as Eve wakens into being, Ms. Chenoweth sleepily grabs the air, as if hugging a phantom lover. What Eve is really trying to embrace, it develops, is the whole world. For the duration of “The Apple Tree,” the whole world — or at least the entire audience at Studio 54, which is all the world that counts for two hours — is delighted to return the embrace."
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 02:15 PM

Hey, Patrick, I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I was just pointing that if someone is not a fan of Kristin Chenoweth, then he/she might not like the show. That's all!
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 02:20 PM

Who's not a fan of Kristen Chenowith?

Oh, never mind, Howard, I know. The same person who didn't like Wicked?

LOL
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 04:09 PM

Oh, no, Patrick. The fact that I didn't like Wicked has not diminished my admiration of her talents! I like her!!
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 04:11 PM

Old Dec 20th, 2006, 04:12 PM

I saw KC perform on The View this week. She was "Gorgeous"!
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 04:13 PM

Thank goodness, Howard! I was privileged to see her twice within one week -- in her perfomance in Wicked, and the same week when she left the show for a few nights to do Candide at Lincoln Center. I don't know which was the more brilliant performance. And how I'd love to see her solo concert at the Metropolitan Opera in January.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 05:19 PM

I, too, saw her in Candide and loved it and her!
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 10:40 PM

NeoP: Told you I would report in...
saw it yesterday aft...it is worth your
airfare to come on up.
I was surprised at poor attendance
Cheap seats got to move down!