Reload this Page >

NYC - brief trip report

Search

NYC - brief trip report

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 10:11 AM
Beth

NYC - brief trip report

I just spent one night in New York this past weekend, but I did want to share a few bits of info.

I stayed on the Upper West Side at "On The Ave" at 77th and Broadway. I got a good rate of $110/night from the Hotel Reservation Network. The hotel was recommended by another poster, and I agree it was a good value for the money. Location was excellent, it was easy to get to by car (which was good, as driving in Manhatten makes me nervous!). They had parking available for $20/day. The room was small, but clean, comfy, and new plumbing in the bathroom. And the room was quiet. Nothing special about it really, but I'm not sure you could beat it for the price.

I visited the Museum of Natural History which was just a couple blocks away. I've always loved the dinosaurs! And Sunday I visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art. As another poster advised, it was easy to get there via the crosstown bus on 79th street. The Met has a special display right now on "Rock Style" which has various famous outfits of rock stars. I got a kick out of seeing the satin uniforms the Beatles wore on the cover of Sgt Pepper, and Elvis' rhinestone encrusted jumpsuits. Also, there are parts of the Met that I just love to visit, and never cease to amaze me. Number one is the Temple of Dendur. It feels like you are actually getting to visit a tiny part of Egypt. Also, I don't know if its relatively recent, cause I don't remember seeing it before, but the European Sculpture garden is really lovely. They have a little cafe where you can have a cappuccino, admire the statues, or look out the window's at Cleopatra's needle, and Central Park. A great spot to take a break from the museum.

All-in-all it was a very brief, but very satisfying visit. My thanks to the Fodorites who helped me out.

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 05:42 AM
Michelle

Hey, Beth,

I'd just like to let you know that I had also heard about "On the Ave" hotel from this forum of Fodor. I'll be staying there this Thursday night 'til Monday (Val. Day) for a brief vacation. I'm treating my boyfriend (airline, hotel) to this trip as well (provided that he takes me out to eat). So, I'm limited on the money expenses. I thought I'd have to pay a whole bunch of $$$$ to stay at a very nice hotel (Paramount Hotel, Roger Williams, etc.). Yet, I was surprised to hear about this place (got a low rate as well) and a few others. Plus, I'm more into the trendy hotels (no classics). I wanted to let you know about a few secrets on hotel finding I was told by a friend who travels a lot. I got On the Ave from this free service for $99/night (and every night). They also had other grand hotels for similar rates. Please check out www.quikbook. They handle hotels, plane fares, etc., all for disocunt rates. A friend of mine works for Sears and has a high position. She uses this for all of her business travelling. She also told me that the "W" hotels are always good.

I'm glad to hear that you stayed at On the Ave Hotel and enjoyed your stay. I'm getting more excited by the minute. I just want to have a wonderful time.

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 08:02 AM
jennifer

I just wanted to thank both of you for your informative posts. My husband and I are going to NYC this October and I will look into the sites you recommended and appreciate the info you share about your trip. Keep it up, it really helps a lot of us out here..
-- j

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 12:29 PM
Beth

Jennifer, the website I used to book the hotel was www.180096hotel.com. They are a hotel discounter, so you have to pay in advance and will pay a fee if you change/cancel the reservation. But like non-refundable plane tickets, it can be worth it if your plans are firm.

Michelle, thanks for the tip on quikbook, I will definitely check them out the next time I am hotel shopping. Enjoy your trip, and let us know how it was when you get back.

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 01:11 PM
TC

The nice thing about Quikbook and (another NY discounter) Express Reservations is that you don't have to pay in advance and there is no penalty for cancellations (within the usual one day notice period). Their rates are almost always the same as other discounters, sometimes better and they all book the same hotels.

Michelle: If you're looking for a romantic dinner in NY, take a look at The River Cafe at: www.therivercafe.com The view from this restaurant in Brooklyn is spectacular - the Manhattan skyline. And the prix fix dinner at $70 is a bargain by NY standards. We had Sunday brunch here and the food is outstanding. If you go, tell my favorite head waiter, Alberto, that Tonna said "hello".