Reload this Page >

NYC Bookstores - Late night?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 02:42 PM
Ted

I often find myself wandering the streets of Manhattan, my home, after a late movie or whatnot. Unfortunately, the bookstores that I pass generally close at midnight (or earlier). Does anyone know of any that stay open late, particularly on weekends?

Thanks

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 03:23 PM
Ann

Hi Ted,
Another poster "rfq" left some good information regarding this topic. I copied this from his post: "There is a huge Barnes and Noble, open late at 82nd and it has a small cafe."

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 06:47 PM
x

There is also a large Barnes and Noble on Columbus across from Tower Records and right down from Lincoln Center!

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 06:50 PM
x

Mayor Guiliani closed all the "bookstores" that were open late. Something about quality of life and they were bad for the neighborhood.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 07:34 PM
Ray M.

The large Barnes & Noble on Union Square closes at 10PM. Seems too early. How late do the B&Ns on 82nd (and ??) and Columbus Circle stay open?

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 07:20 AM
Eve

What about the Strand or some of the stores in the NYU area? Anyone?

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 02:32 PM
JD

B& N at 82nd & Bdwy closes at 11pm, the one near Lincoln Center (not columbus circle) closes at midnight to accomodate after theater/concert goers. The Tower records store across from Lincoln center is also open til midnight, I think. Sorry Ted, I think you're 'stuck' with bars, restaurants, or going home (though Time Out NY mag had a feature on stores--mostly in the village and soho, that stay open late, usually till midnight or so is the limit there too)

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 08:41 PM
patty

Bookstores seem to close by midnight. How about record stores? Virgin in Times Square stays open to 2 am on Friday & Saturday and they have a sort of large book section. There's also a Virgin in Union Square. Or there's Gem Spa, a magazine store in the East Village on Second Ave open 24 hours.

Old Feb 25th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Vivienne

Gem Spa is an excellent suggestion. More like it?

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 02:02 PM
TopMan

Top it