NYC Best Restaurants for Seafood/Steak

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can fodorites please recommend which restaurants are good for seafood or steak in Manhattan. Thanks in advancd.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 03:11 PM
GoTravel

For steaks either Sparks Steakhouse or Peter Lugers.

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 03:28 PM

Midtown try Ben Bensens 52nd and 6th ave.
John
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 04:30 PM

Peter Luger is the best steakhouse, but it's in Brooklyn, not Manhattan. I'd recommend Spark's.
For seafood, Oceanna is excellent.....but expensive.
You didn't give a price range.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 04:54 PM

For seafood there is no question of the best in New York -- Le Bernardin.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 05:48 PM

Manhattan Ocean Club - wonderful seafood, gorgeous room, meticulous service and real Picassos on the wall. A perfect evening.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 05:50 PM

Seafood=- HANDS DOWN to Le Bernardin!!!
We go every time we are in NYC..

We did do Oceana and felt Le Bernardin was way better- both in ambience,service and DEFINITELY food. JMHJO,though!
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 05:54 PM
GoTravel

I missed the reference to Manhattan in the post. I just saw NYC in the header which is why I included Peter Luger.

If you make the trek to Peter Luger, take cash. They don't take plastic.

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 06:07 PM
BAK

For steaks, I'm a big fan of Smith & Wollensky's. Of the restaurants listed above, I've only been to Ben Benson's, and it's much more conventional and quiet than the livliness and general fun of S&W.

I'd love to do a Luger/Sparks/Palm/S&W test.

BAK
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 08:00 PM

Le Bernardin? Very old-school/tourist, and definitely not the best value nor the best seafood.

For great seafood, try FRESH in Tribeca (amazing!), PEARL OYSTER BAR on Cornelia Street (Citysearch #1), RM on E. 60th (#2), or the ever-popular MARY'S FISH CAMP on W. 4th.

Steak -- Spark's, Peter Luger, Gallagher's, Smith & Wollensky, Ben Benson's.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 08:07 PM

"Message: Le Bernardin? Very old-school/tourist, and definitely not the best value nor the best seafood."

Wow. What an assessment. It has Zagat's highest rating. If you go to Chowhounds, you find nothing but raves from the New York foodie locals including the regular critics there, including a recent thread about how it remains the best.
Old school in that most dishes are classic preparations or with a minimum of "trendy experimentation", yes. But touristy? You've got to be kidding!! And please name the place in New York with classic rosemary and rock salt encased whole red snapper cracked then fileted at your table that is "better value"?

The places Gekko mentions are all great, but in a totally different class from Le Bernardin.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 08:20 PM

I guess it's a matter of perception. I live in Manhattan (you may too, I don't know) and definitely consider Le Bernardin to be overpriced & old-school, a place to take Mom & Dad or visitors from out of town. (Or perhaps for an expense account meal, but probably not actually.)

Citysearch, where locals rate restaurants, has Le Bernardin at #5 for seafood, no surprise in my book.

I guess it depends on what germanblonde is looking for in a dining experience.

(Because of how it rates restaurants, you're proably aware that Zagat's is always a year or so behind.)
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 08:22 PM

I should have said "a place to take OLDER visitors from out of town." I would never take friends my age (early 30's) to Le Bernardin.

Old Mar 9th, 2004, 04:11 AM
mp

There's some terrific restaurants suggested so far, but two more I would add are: for seafood, Aquagrill in Soho - a bit pricy (but less so than Le Bernadin) but impeccably fresh and inventive food; and Strip House - on East 13th St., which to my mind beats Peter Luger hands down - beefier steaks, better prepared and the side dishes are fantastic (goose fat potatoes!). A great, fun room, although the waits can be long, even with reservations . . .
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 04:51 AM

OK, Gekko, now I understand. Yea, a LOT (but not all) of my friends in their 30's would hate that kind of place,too. They'd have to dress up in a more traditional way, which they hate, and it isn't loud, trendy, and boisterous -- the only kind of restaurant they enjoy. It isn't the place to see and be seen, so they wouldn't appreciate spending the required money there. And most do not enjoy the formality of classic food. Although you should realize that not all 30 somethings are like that. There are some who "get" what a truly classic and beautifully prepared and served meal is and ARE willing to pay for it. When we were there for lunch last it was a surprisingly younger crowd than I expected. Lots of 30 something businesstypes doing lunch there.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 06:08 AM

more for steak: Old Homestead in the meat packing district (it's been around forever and still excellent). I also like Palm.

For seafood (both good value); Mary's Fish Camp in the west village and Mermaid Inn in the E. Village (I've never eaten here but would like to).
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 06:33 AM

Well said Patrick.
The idea of dining with civility cannot be overstated. There is a reason why certain restaurants become classics. Those with discerning tastes keep them that way.
The title was "Best restaurant for Seafood/Steak." The answer to NYC best seafood is certainly Le Bernardin.
Best restaurant encompasses a lot of different parameters, all of which (IMHO) are addressed by Le Bernardin.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 06:48 AM

Hilarious! Thanks for the laugh, Patrick!

I'm one of the "younger crowd" who has frequent lunches at LB, and it is wonderful & classic. But that's typical midtown lunch.

I think the generation gap falls in the "youngsters'" desire to try and support new restaurants in "new" areas of town. My crowd certainly isn't interested in the "scene," but a fresh offering from a named chef will attract attention (WD-50 being an example). If it's not in midtown, all the better.

Atmosphere is also important. Some people, particularly those who no longer hear so well, like to dine in mausoleums. Other people do not. To each his own, and the Manhattan dining experience is so diverse, everyone can be happy!

Good luck, germanblonde, and Enjoy NYC!
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:13 AM

Sidestepping this tiff, let me mention that if you want ONE restaurant for both good seafood and steak, most of the steak places also usually have lobster, shrimp & at least one fish dish, but it doesn't work in reverse. Don't go to the fish places & expect a good steak

If you're female, I like the Post House for steak (& some seafood). It has a bit less machismo than the other steak places mentioned.

Also, for an out of towner, the Sea Grill at Rockefeller Center is the best place I can think of for fish. Check their website restaurantassociates.com for promos, menus etc. It may be touristy but it's very good & wonderful setting.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:20 AM

You've gotten some good info already. Can't go wrong with any of the top steakhouses--Lugers, Sparks, Smith & Wolensky, Palm. Ben Benson's also is good. I'd also recommend Keen's, on West 36th Street, it's one of my favorites. Another great one, if you're going to be downtown, is Mark Joseph, in Manhattan between the South Street Seaport and the Brooklyn Bridge--it's fantastic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -