NYC Beach

Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

NYC Beach

Will be going to NYC with my 19 year old daughter in late June and we were thinking of spending a day at a beach that we could get to via public transportation. Read a little about Brighton Beach or we were thinking about a beach on Long Island. Any suggestions would be appreciated since I've never left Manhattan when we've been to NYC before. Thanks a lot.
Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:51 PM
Rob

One of the better beaches is Jones Beach on Long Island. It is a trek from Manhattan. You can get there using public transpotation.
Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:57 PM

Hi Lezah,
The best one day beach trip for you to do is take the Long Island Railroad from Penn Station to Long Beach. You can buy a round trip ticket that includes a day pass for the beach. The Long Beach Station is a couple of blocks from the beach (no changes for buses etc.). The beach is quite nice and there are stores and restaurants all around the area. The travel time from Penn Station is 50 minutes. You'll really enjoy your day there!
Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:21 PM

Lezah, Go to Jones Beach on Long Island. Take the LIRR from Penn Station in NYC to Freeport. In Freeport you will get the bus to the beach. At Jones Beach, get off at the West Bath-house. If you plan on swimming, the West Bath-house has lockers and a pool.

Walk the boadwalk and enjoy the entire park.

Enter Jones Beach State Park in a search engine for more info.
Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:06 PM

We go almost every weekend to the beach, and I would suggest a day on Fire Island, if you have never been out there, it is beautiful. It is part of the national park system.

Ok here's how you do it, go to Penn Station, (34th and 7th Ave) and look for the Long Island Railroad.

Ask for the combo ticket to The Sunken Forest on Fire Island. I think it's $22.oopp rt. That includes your ticket out to Long Island, the taxi to the ferry, the ferry ride to the Sunken Forest and the return trip. It's a little further out on Long Island, but so worth the trip.

The Sunken Forest is a mile or so long boardwalk through a forested area, and it's called the Sunken Forest because it is between dunes on the island, so part of it is below sea level.

There is a little restaurant there you can buy food, or bring your own. Also bring an umbrella.

YOu can walk the beach to some of the communities on the island, and there are alot of homes there that are really beautiful.

As others have suggested you can also go to Jones Beach, which will be alot more crowded than Fire Island, but also a really nice beach.

There is also a huge pool if you want to swim, because the ocean in late June will still be a little cold.

Both Fire Island and Jones Beach have shower facilites. Jones Beach charges a couple of dollars, and the Fire Island showers are free.

As I said we go every weekend, let us know if you want to tag along.

Enjoy your trip to the city.
Apr 4th, 2003, 05:25 AM

Oh yes! Fire Island is an excellent idea!
Personally, I would really avoid Brighton Beach.
Apr 4th, 2003, 08:16 AM

Lezah,
Here's a website that describes some of the places people have already mentioned plus a few more.

http://f.about.com/z/pb/159/2.htm

I have never been to Orchard Beach or any of the beaches in Staten Island but they'd sure be a lot closer. Maybe someone else here can advise.

Keep in mind, none of these beaches, to my knowledge, have chair/lounge rentals. People bring their own (or just lay on towels).

Of the choices suggested, John's reco of Long Beach is the closest & less well known than Jones Beach. It's just a really nice beach with a town for buying food etc.

Jones Beach is huge. The downside to going there with public transport is you're taken (I think) to the main parking lot where it's busiest. It's also where the pool is though. If you decide on Jones Beach, I would suggest not going on a weekend when it will be busiest.

Wantsomesun, how long does it take to go to Fire Island for the day? Sounds wonderful but like quite a trek.
Apr 4th, 2003, 10:04 AM

Here's another recommendation for Long Beach. It's SO easy to get to. There's a little market on the walk from the train station to the beach where we always stop to pick up food. You can also buy ice cream on the boardwalk.

Long Beach has some of the softest sand I've ever encountered. It also has cool shady spots under the boardwalk for non-sun worshippers like me. There are public bathrooms on the boardwalk.

Or if you want something really different, go to Coney Island! It's a cheap $2 per person subway ride. The beach is packed in the summertime with all sorts of people. But the rides actually have very short (or no) lines. They have just built some nice new bath houses on the boardwalk. There's tons of food options. The best thing about Coney Island is the people-watching...you will find every race, ethnicity, income level, and lifestyle here. It may be the most diverse place on earth. A real NY experience.
Apr 4th, 2003, 10:16 AM

I'm far from a Fire Island expert but from my experiences there I've never been to a beach with public fascilities (rest rooms, etc.). The different beaches are accessible by different ferries and the ferries leave from a few different locations out on LI. Before venturing out there (if you do), make sure the beach you plan on going to has the facilities you need. Much of fire island is private beach homes with some small 'town' areas with limited stores and restaurants.
Apr 4th, 2003, 10:25 AM

Fire Island is beutiful, but travel from Manhattan, btw LIRR, bus to the ferry and ferry is a good 2+ hours each way. It's not the ideal place for a day trip.

It is also EXPENSIVE once on the Island. Everything has to be brought in from the mainland and they have a short season, basically Memorial Day thru Labor Day, so it's the land of the $15.00 hamburger.

I'd go with Long Beach.
Apr 6th, 2003, 08:52 PM

If you want a NY experience, go to either Coney Island or Brighton Beach. Both are easy to get to on the subway. The beach may not be as beautiful as those on Long Island but it is perfectly fine. Do bring a towel or sheet to sit on because there aren't alot of services. Since you won't need the whole day to commute (Coney Island and Brighton are about an hour from Manhattan), you'll have time to explore the area. It is great fun to walk on the boardwalk. There is a terrific aquarium, the Cyclone and bumper cars, Nathan's hot dogs and other places to eat, especially in the Russian places in Brighton. Brighton Beach Avenue has interesting shops to stroll by. It is all alot of fun. It is, however, not as highbrow as Fire Island.
So, if you want quiet and scenic, go to Long Island. If you want fun and funky, come to Brooklyn.
Apr 6th, 2003, 10:35 PM

Fire Island is very much worth the trip out and we do it at least 8 times over the summer. We leave early in the am, on the train, and it's a little over a 2 hour ride. Since I can't be in the sun all day long (very fair skin), it works out well for us, and we go to the Sunken Forest. Yes there is a shower facility and rest room there, and it's a family beach, though it is usually not very crowded. The ferries come and go all day long and you should check the schedule for the last ferry. There is an inexpensive food "stand" there, by the rangers station and they have the usual fare and of course ice cream. They also have fried clams that are very good.

You can walk the beach to some of the other communites and see some of the beautiful homes on the island. There are a few restaurants further down and some of them are a bit more expensive, sit down and fast food, but Sunken Forest caters to families so it's less expensive.

If you are looking for a special day at the beach, do the trip to Fire Island.
Apr 7th, 2003, 05:29 AM

I remember one year when my children were small, going to Sunken Forest from one of the other FI communities. It is great! Then we took a water taxi back.
Apr 7th, 2003, 08:52 AM

i also agree with Long Beach...it's the easiest...and once you're there, you are right near train station and food, etc.
Apr 7th, 2003, 10:49 AM

I, also,love Fire Island, but not for a visitor to NYC. Too far, too complicated (need to get to the right ferry terminal at the right time, etc.) and not knowing just where and how to get to bathrooms on Fire Island!! Go to a public beach. Coney Island is not up-scale but for the day it might be fun. You certainly will meet "real New Yorkers". It is the closest to Manhattan. Long Beach is further, but nice. Be careful of ocean swimming. We took Swiss visitors to Robert Moses (beyond Jones Beach). I warned them about the undertow, but the man insisted that he was an excellent swimmer. He swam out too far and had to be brought in by the life guards. So..swim only in areas designated by the life guards. In fact, I like to swim right in front of the life guard stand and I too am a very good swimmer.
Apr 7th, 2003, 02:32 PM

The rest rooms and showers are right beside the path as you walk down to the beach at Sunken Forest, FI, so you can't miss them. Also the island is very narrow, maybe 100 yards wide so you really can't get lost. Also when you get a combo ticket, you get directions on where to get off and there are signs and taxis will ask where you are going. Also at the ferry terminal over to the island there are signs. It's not complicated at all.
Apr 7th, 2003, 07:16 PM

In years past one could take the LIRR to Babylon, then transfer to a bus that went to Robert Moses State Park, the public beaches on the western end of Fire Island. The ride to Babylon is 50 minutes on an express train. The bus ride might be 20-30 minutes--more if there's heavy beach traffic. I'm not sure if this bus still runs...does anyone know?
Apr 7th, 2003, 07:23 PM

Quite a number of NYers escape to the Hamptons in the summer. There is a bus that goes directly to the Hamptons but I'm not sure of the schedule or if you can just do a day trip. Look up Hampton Jitney buses. In order from NYC, Hampton Bays and Westhampton are younger and low key, Bridgehampton and Southhampton are more upscale and conservative. You might even catch glimpses of some of the celebrities who live there. Then Amagansett and Montauk (truly the end) get more low key. Try not to go Fri or Sun if you want to beat the race to the beach and back.
Apr 8th, 2003, 06:00 AM

The train etc is not cheap--rent a car and go to Jones Beach but not the main lot. Go on a weekday, really early--I mean get there by 830am. It is beautiful! Coney Island on the Bdwlak is fun and its best on a weekday in june before school lets out. Orchard beach is really dirty and you might not feel comfortable with the people there. Same for COney Island during busy times.

Search this Thread