Reload this Page >

NYC Airport Transport

Search

NYC Airport Transport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 08:20 PM
Lindy

NYC Airport Transport

Hello--I'm arriving at LaGuardia and departing from JFK early October. Can anyone suggest best transportation to and from Hotel Beacon on Upper West Side (I think!). Probably too much luggage (2 pieces) for me to carry a long way. Can't afford a limo! But cab probably ok. Also -- any guesses about the weather? How to dress so as not to look like a tourist? Thank you.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Flynn

A metered taxicab should cost about $20 from LaGuardia. There's also the Blue Van service that's less but it makes several stops but will take you/pick you up door to door.

Don't know how you dress where you're from but I can tell the tourists immediately when:
1) They walk 3-4 persons down the street and form a horizontal human chain so that people can't pass them.
2) They wear shorts and sox with their Birkenstock sandals.
3) They wear fanny packs.
4) They plant themselves right in the middle of Times Square and take lots of photos.
5) They pronounce Houston Street "Huston" instead of "House-ton"

We love our tourists and say Welcome. Just dress comfortably and casually and you'll be fine.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 09:36 AM
suzanne

You forgot about white sneakers...those always peg a person as a tourist, unless they are jogging.

Lindy, early October weather should be nice...I'd say high in the mid-70s and around 60 late at night. Bring just a light jacket in case it's colder.

A cab from LGA-Beacon should cost at most $30 including a tip, and should take about 20 minutes if it's not rush hour. The Supershuttle vans take too long. To cut the cost of your trip in half, find someone else in the taxi line who's going to the Upper East side (which is on the way) or the Upper West. Seriously! I've shared cabs from the airport several times and have met lots of nice & interesting people. I found that many older people are very willing to share a cab.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 11:00 AM
renee

Try the New York Airport Service
www.nyairportservice.com
It's a bus service that runs to and from the airports and hotels in Manhattan. You can check to see if they go to your hotel, It's inexpensive compared to other ways.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 11:30 AM
me

I would definitely take a yello cab from LaGuardia. Heading back to JFK I would call car service. This way if you hit traffic you have a set fare. You can try 212-666-6666 or 212-777-7777. I have used both and they are about the same price.

If you are looking to save money there are buses by Grand Central that go to the airports for about $12-$15.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 11:49 AM
xxx

You people are tooooooo funny. Do you really keep expecting us to believe that no New Yorkers wear white sneakers?

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Flynn

Of course New Yorkers wear white sneakers. Black ones are In too because they get less dirty

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 12:34 PM
beachbum

Was there earlier this month and paid $22 + tip from LaGuardia to mid-town. Thought I saw a notice posted in the cab that said fares from Manhattan to JFK were a flat $35.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Jess

Fares FROM JFK to Manhattan are $35, plus tip and toll. Fares TO JFK are metered. I'm not sure how much they run, as I always hire a car service to take me there, and then just take a cab home again. That is usually $35-40, plus tip and toll.

And yes, white sneakers are a good sign of a non-NYer. Also, shorts on anyone over 30 who isn't a delivery person. You can spot those fanny-pack wearing, map-folding, squeaky-sneakered folks with their pleated shorts coming from miles away. NY women opt for skirts over shorts, and driving shoes/mules if they need comfy flats.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 12:46 PM
beachbum

Lindy,
Tourists may wear white tennis shoes, but that's less noticeable than what at least one resident was(n't) wearing when we were there.

When you're in Times Square taking all those photos look for the "Naked Cowboy", decked out in nothing more than cowboy hat, jockey briefs, cowboy boots, and guitar. Not sure if they were tourists or locals stuffing dollars into his boots to have their pictures taken with him.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 12:46 PM
nyer

Flat fares are only FROM the airport to the city, not vice versa, $35 + Toll + tip adds up to about $50 total.

From the city to the airport could be more because of traffic --fares go up for each 45 seconds idling in traffic. If you take a car service (I agree that Carmel, the number with all 6's and Tel Aviv, all 7's are reliable) you won't have sticker shock as they do use set fares. Look at their websites which often have coupons (with restrictions) but count on the same $50 total

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 09:31 PM
Lindy

Thank you all very much! This site has been so helpful for my first trip to NYC. I'll report back on the hotel, etc. Thanks again -- New York here I come!