Reload this Page >

NYC Accommodation - HELP!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2001, 11:22 PM
Claire

We are Kiwis planning our first trip to New York in mid-June. A month ago, I booked accommodation at the Gerswhin Hotel, based on recommendations in a couple of guidebooks.
However, on discovering Fodor's site today, this hotel gets terrible feedback from everyone that's stayed there, even though it is recommended by Fodors (doesn't make much sense to me that this can happen).
Has anybody stayed there recently? Is it as bad as previous visitors say?
If so, would love some suggestions of alternative places to say, given that time is running out. Budget is about $150 a night (I know that's not much, but the exhange rate for the NZ dollar is terrible, and we'd rather spend the money on doing things and eating out rather than a flash hotel room).

Old May 7th, 2001, 03:54 AM
rqf

Try the Habitat - www.habitatny.com. Good location
Also try the Edison - www.edisonhotel.com
Very good location - in Times Square area and theater district.

Old May 7th, 2001, 05:20 AM
Owen O'Neill

I'd start checking the consolidators such as Quikbook and others. I've read many post in this forum from folks who got great rates through that means. The Edison would probably be okay and the Hotel New Yorker is fine (not as convenient a location as the Edison). I stayed in Radio City Apartments two summers ago and liked it very much. It's older and a bit dated in terms of furnishings but was clean, reasonable and in a great location. Hotel Beacon is a bit further uptown but in a fun residential neighborhood and is another good choice. I am one of the people who posted negative comments re/the Gershwin and I'd be surprised if it it has improved. Best not to take the chance - there are many other choices in that price range.

Old May 7th, 2001, 07:18 AM
rqf

Add the Broadway Inn to your list of places to check. Great location, one block from the Edison. www.broadwayinn.com
Read a couple of favorable comments on this place in the past two weeks on this board. Was listed in the NY Magazine (Feb.5) under "Best Beds Under $200". Habitat was also reviewed in the article.

Old May 7th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Ann

Two suggestions: Washington Square Hotel. Stayed there 2 years ago. $135, great location. The room was small (like all NY hotel rooms), but clean and had all the basics.

I walked by a hotel when in New York this weekend. Portland Square Hotel. Rate was $125. It looked decent from the outside, and a sign said it had just been renovated. The location was good--somewhere around W. 47th Street, several blocks off Broadway, so close to Times Square without being too close.

Old May 7th, 2001, 06:32 PM
rqf

Portland Square is on W. 47th between 6th and 7th Avenue. From 7th to Broadway is less than 50 feet on 47th. TKTS booth (discount ticket booth for Broadway and Off Broadway shows) is located on 47th between Broadway and 7th.

Old May 8th, 2001, 12:21 PM
Claire

Thanks everyone for your input.
Can anyone tell me what NY Magazine (their article about cheap beds in NY was not available on their website) said about Habitat and Broadway Inn, or has anyone stayed at either of these places recently.
I have been quoted a rate of $120 a night for a standard queen room at Habitat - it almost sounds too good to be true!
Any comments?

Old May 8th, 2001, 01:46 PM
rqf

Taken directly from NY Magazine article
Habitat - "the smallest rooom has space for a bed, a sink, a TV and you. (At these prices, being able to spread your arms out is a luxury.) Many rooms have shared bathroom facilties, but they are new and clean"
I assume the room you refer to has its own bath and must be larger than the one described in the article.
Broadway Inn - "you also get lots of charm for your dollar at the Broadway Inn...This four story theater district walk-up has a real lobby with real sofas and real newspapers to leaf through. Halls and rooms are papered in pastel patternsk and framed art prints are hung throughout".

Old May 8th, 2001, 02:08 PM
xxx

Claire:

There is a new hotel called The Marcel (24th St. and Third Avenue)in the Grammery Park area, which has been showing up at quickbook in the $125-$135 range. I have not stayed there, but it looks modern and chic. The restaurant in the hotel, Spread, is one of NYC's new hot spots. It might be worth a shot.