Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC 40th B-day Getaway-Looking for Unique Ideas (Plays, Eating, Shopping)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm turning 40 and my husband is sending me and one of my dearest pals to NYC for 2 nights without any children this coming weekend! We are staying at Lexington and E. 50th . We have tickets to Wicked on Friday and dinner reservations Saturday and NO OTHER PLANS. I have done the tourist NYC trip a few times before when the kids have been along, so I don't need to do the Empire State Building, Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty, etc... This time I want to soak in as much of the city as I can. We will likely go to MOMA as I am an art lover and hope to pick up some cheaper seats (Wicked was a bit of a splurge) to something fun on Saturday night-- but am open to suggestions of places to go and things to see (or other ideas about where to get good tickets besides the TKTS booth). I've never walked around SoHo or the Village... I want to do that... what are chic shops and cool eateries I shouldn't miss? I'd love a lovely breakfast place recommendations and places for lunch (I love vegetarian cuisine-- I've been to Angelica Kitchen, Candle Cafe and will try Candle 79 this time). We are not club or party people. I also love wonderful consignment shops, flea markets and amazing fabric, ribbon and paper stores. Please help me make this a memorable birthday with your suggestions!
Old May 29th, 2011, 02:18 PM

www.broadwaybox.com is one way to buy discounted tickets in advance.

The Frick Collection is a museum I really enjoy.

We've liked the vegetarian food at Zen Palate.
Old May 29th, 2011, 03:04 PM

Hangawi for veggie Korean-very serene

I would suggest you walk around SOHO and the West Village and see what you may like in terms of shopping. The main street for shopping in West Village is Bleecker. In Soho there are many including Broadway, West Broadway (which is parallel to Broadway), Spring and Prince.

For paper-Paper Presentation on West 18th and the better known Kate's paperie

For ribbon and fabric try the area above 34th to 40th from 6th to 9th Ave
Old May 29th, 2011, 03:56 PM

If you're going to MoMA one morning, then I highly recommend Norma's for a fabulous breakfast or brunch. It's just a few blocks away. MAKE RESERVATIONS! http://www.parkermeridien.com/eat1.php
Have a great time!

Oh! If you're at all interested - the Alexander McQueen exhibit at the Met is really incredible. Go early - or late, as there are long lines. http://blog.metmuseum.org/alexandermcqueen/

Also, if you can fit it in, I recommend walking around SoHo for sure. Great shopping everywhere you look

My SIL recommended a restaurant to me that she went to with friends a couple of years ago. It is a vegan restaurant and she is not vegan but she LOVED it. Has 2 locations, apparently. http://www.blossomnyc.com/
Old May 29th, 2011, 04:38 PM

If u have only 2 nights then a play, dinner, walking the Village is enuf of a plan. I would stop and eat at an outdoor cafe, and shop in celsea (chelseas market?) the Village, etc. Brunch at Extra Virgin in W village or Cafeteria on 7th and 17th
Old May 29th, 2011, 07:39 PM

It was ironic but on the HBO series Treme, some of the characters are in NYC and looks like they went into M & J for beads. But they also ribbon, buttons, and walls of other stuff.

http://www.mjtrim.com/

They also ate at a place in Chinatown I always recommend, Big Wongs. (Yes that is the name but looslely translated in Cantonese it means a lot of traffic.
Old May 30th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the wonderful ideas. I am writing them all down... keep them coming!!!
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:51 PM

The Brooklyn Flea Market is quite popular. http://www.brooklynflea.com/
Gramercy Tavern has a veggie tasting menu and would be a nice splurge. Park Ave. Summer has a great weekend brunch and the Boat House in Central Park is a wonderful spot for breakfast/brunch. They don't take reservations on weekends but start service around 9:30. Get there when they open. If you're into high fashion consignment, there's a great shop on 72 st. just east of Madison Ave. (you can go after the Boat House).
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your tips... we're off!
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 03:15 AM

have fun!
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Go to the Boat House for breakfast/brunch then walk over to the Frick Collection.