Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NY October: help with musicals and operas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I´ll be in NY next October (18 to 23) and I´d like some help to decide what to see.
My musicals options are: Wicked, Spamalot, Curtains, Grease and Jersey Boys. Have to pick 2.
My opera options are: Carmem, Aida, M.Batterfly, Agrippina and Macbeth. My first choice would be M. Batterfly, since I´ve already seen Aida and Carmem (not in NY). What do you think?
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 10:00 PM
kealalani

FYI - Young Frankenstein is in previews then. I predict very good things!

Old Jul 10th, 2007, 04:24 AM

Jersey Boys is the hottest ticket so I would certainly see that. Wicked is second hottest currently but Young Frankenstein is likely to be a hit.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 06:03 AM

Next October as in 2008? Or this October as in 2007?

Wicked and Jersey Boys are the tickets you want to buy now if you want to see them.

Hard to tell how popular Grease is going to be since it hasn't even begun previews yet.

Can't help with you with the opera.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Next October 2007.
Tnks
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 07:22 AM

For Jersey Boys, Wicked and Grease, TRY to get tickets NOW! Yes, even Grease has become a tough ticket.
You can wait on Spamalot and Curtains for the possibility of discount tickets.
As for opera, check out www.lincolncenter.org. Once you reach the site, go to the calendar, click to October and then check the specific dates to see what will be performed by the Met and NYC Opera.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 09:16 AM

Of the operas listed, I like Carmen the best. Puccini operas are ever-popular, but I think Madama Butterfly is kind of cheesy in today's context. Agrippina if you like Baroque opera.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 02:48 PM

Madame Butterfly "cheesy"? Gimme a break! Since when do you go to the opera for the story? It's the music, music, music.....and there are at least a couple good "songs" (you know, those things called "arias") in MB.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Well, maybe, but the production I saw (at Lyric in Chicago) struck me as more operetta than opera. Puccini is not my favorite in any case--give me Verdi or Handel any time. But no need to be sarcastic! We all have our own taste in operas--those of us who like opera, that is, which is possibly very few people, relatively speaking.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 12:46 PM

It sounds like the production you saw was cheesy, rather than the opera itself.
I'm not questioning your taste. You may not like Madame Butterfly or anything else by Puccini, but to call that opera cheesy is a bit much. Hey, I'm not a fan of Wagner.....but I would hardly call his work cheezy!
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 01:39 PM

Give it a rest, Howard. The Lyric may not be the Met--what is, after all--but the problem was not the production values! Just accept that I don't like Puccini, find Pinkerton a callow "hero," and think the idea of a man abandoning a woman and child cheezy, if not rascist, given his "reasons." Guess what, I don't like Mozart operas, either, even if my favorite aria of all time IS in the Magic Flute.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 02:46 PM

You're missing my point, marilynl. People don't go to the opera for the "story"; they go for the singing!! I'd estimate that the librettos for at least half of what are considered the greatest operas are corny, hokey, trite--pick your adjective--or whatever!
I totally agree about the libretto of Madame Butterfly. It's....pick you adjective...but I really don't care because the music is beautiful!
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 02:47 PM

The Met's new production of M. Butterfly by Anthony Minghella is just amazing--it's a very modern set, extremely dramatic. Costumes are fantastic and the end scene is fantastic. I think it's worth seeing; you might want to look up some reviews because I'm sure any more description on my part will just make it sound odd.

For the record, most audiences end up booing Pinkerton--he's definitely no hero!

I haven't seen Aida yet at the Met, but it is on our subscription for next year. I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices.

We've often sat in Family Circle (very high up)--and IMHO you don't lose any of the drama of the opera. That advice is only if you want to save a little $$$ since it can be quite pricey!

Good luck with your decision.

Old Jul 11th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

I´ve read some reviews about M.Batterfly. They say it´s beautiful, but some people didn´t like the doll instead of the boy.
I want to see an opera at the Met and the choices at night are M.Butterfly, Macbeth and Lucia di Lammermoor.
What do you think?
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 03:33 PM

Simone, first of all, if you've never been to the Met before, just experiencing any opera there for the first time is a memorable occasion!
As for your three choices, I'd probably go with either Butterfly or Lucia.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 03:36 PM

PS: I'd get the tickets now to make sure the performance you want doesn't sell out.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Tickets only begin to sell on Aug 19, but thanks for the advise.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 05:21 PM

Since season and series ticket holders get first crack, I suggest you give yourself some flexibility on dates and ticket availability when you're able to get the tickets on August 19.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 04:22 AM

My vote would be Lucia--one of the most memorable belle canto operas I've seen [heard].
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 05:46 AM

marilynl, I totally agree with you on that one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -