NY Hotel Moderne

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:24 PM
boutet

NY Hotel Moderne

We booked the Hotel Moderne through expedia. It looked good and the price was right. Then I read the reviews on another sight. Sounds terrible. Can anyone console me with some positive comments. This is our first vacation as a couple and our first trip to N.Y. Hoping not to screw it up. Thanks

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:36 PM
boutet

Yikes. Anyone hear of the Ameritania. It was our second choice. We are looking to stay in Midtown.
P.S. Thanks for the advice

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:57 PM
Boutet

Okay, Okay. We were going off the expedia package offerings, which evidently aren't that great. I can't possibly research every hotel in N.Y, so I'm overwhelmed. I thought being near Broadway, Central Park and Carnegie Hall was a good location. Evidently, I'm clue-less. We would like to stay somewhere relatively in-expensive. Would rather blow money on dinner. I guess the location would help me the most. I can try to figure it out from there. Thanks for the tips.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:14 PM
John

Use Priceline. You'll get a 4 star hotel such as the Marriott Marquis, Hilton, Milleneum or Grand Hyatt for under $100/night. Check out www.biddingfortravel.com before bidding on priceline.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 04:44 AM
danna

Dear Boutet: Wow, everyone is certainly being hard on you. If you've not given up looking at this thread by now, why don't you post your budget, you might get more ideas. Also, I'm not so sure about a midtown location. For vacationing I prefer to be on the park or in SoHo. Since SoHo tends to be very expensive due to fewer hotels, that leaves the park. IF you can stomach $200 you can probably get in the Helmsley Park Lane, maybe even the Plaza if you are willing to take a tiny room. I recently stayed at the Michaelangelo on 51st (a little south of the park) for $195 - it's very nice. I have also stayed at the Waldorf-Astoria on Park AVe. for $179. The Paramount, which is more times-square-ish was $159 when I checked last month, it has tiny rooms but is TRES CHIC, go there if you are a PHillipe STark fan.

In other words, don't sell yourself short. Call the best hotels and ask for their best rate. If it's more than you can afford, say "I'm sorry, that's more that I was planning to spend", then pause for just a moment before you say goodbye, sometimes they suddenly remember a special!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 04:58 AM
danna

Because I was curious (nosey) I went to the Expedia web site. I note from your choices that you like modern decor and would like to spend in the $160 range.

I also notice that the Helmsley Park Lane had weekend rates of $179 (although higher weekday). My husband and I stayed there on our first trip to NYC and we really liked it. We stayed there again in 2000. It is very traditional so check out the Paramount if you want a trendy-er feel. Good Luck

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:24 AM
shaggy

John is correct. I just booked the Grand Hyatt for 75.00 on priceline. With taxes and priceline fee it is less than 100.00. I know most people have mixed emotions about the Grand Hyatt, but for less than 100.00, it's a good choice.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Boutet

Thanks Danna. You aren't being nosey, just helpful. We don't care about the modern decor. We just were trying to avoid big chain type hotels and find something unique. Plus we didn't want to pay for a swimming pool, ballromm, and spa that we arent' going to use. We would really like to be near the park. Everything else we can cab to, or take public transportation. I think we might be stuck with the Expedia choices or they will cancel our airfare as well. So I will keep the priceline option in my back pocket for my next trip.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Susan

Boutet, where are you flying from? If you are flying within the US checkout jetblue.com for some very good rates to NYC. Also, here's an alternative hotel idea, and it is within walking diastance to the park http://www.davincihotel.com/about.htm it is not fancy, but it is clean should be around $100 (or less) per night. Also, do look into priceline.com (and read biddingfortravel.com before you bid on any hotels) Let us know how you are doing!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Boutet

What an ordeal! Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I had to stick with the expedia offerings, so I picked the EXCELSIOR. It looks old, but the rooms are big and its on the park. If you have a negative opinion about the Excelsior, please don't tell me. I can't go through all this again. Wish me luck and thanks for your help.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 01:38 PM
allene

We live in NYC and my parents stay at the Excelsior every time they come. They love it. The rooms are SMALL though - but very clean, very nice, and well located. Make sure you go to the Columbus Bakery (just up the street from the hotel) for a cookie or a snack. There's great restaurants in the area and it's right on the train lines and next to Central Park. The plantarium and natural history museum are across the street -- and right across the street from the hotel you can catch a cross-town bus (the crosstwown #79) that will take you practically to the doorstep of the Met museum and within walking distance of the Guggenhiem.

Other great stuff near the Excelsior: * Pomodoro on Columbus for Italian. * Aegean Sea for Greek (also on Columbus). * Nick's Medditeranean on 76th (?) and Broadway for an amazing brunch (avoid any place for brunch with a line. It's not worth it!)
* Merchant's wine bar for an early drink (it fills with trendy students later so be forewarned!)

Walk through Central Park -- you're close to Strawberry Fields and the Lennon memorial (boring to me but people seem to love it!) and walk across the 72nd Street transverse in the park (accessible from Strawberry Fields) to bethesda fountain. Can't miss it -- it's gorgeous!

I don't know where you're from, but check out Zabar's grocery store on 81st and Broadway. It's just something else! Only in NY!

Sorry, you didn't ask for all this info but when I saw it's your first trip here I couldn't resist!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 02:06 PM
boutet

Thanks Allene. We are from Chicago. Hotel rooms here are all big, so I have to get used to the fact that NY hotels are more like European hotels re size. We are really looking forward to our trip. I have mostly travelled to Europe or to more wild open space type trips. So this will be my first trip to New York. I am the researcher of the couple, so I appreciate all your tips on where to eat and go. The grocery store sounds cool. Thanks