Reload this Page >

NY City to Niagra Falls

Search

NY City to Niagra Falls

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2000, 11:05 AM
Phil

NY City to Niagra Falls

What is the easiest route from New York city to see Niagra Falls on the Canadian side? Also, how far is this and is there tour buses that we can take from New York to Niagra Falls?

Old May 18th, 2000, 12:15 PM
Owen O'Neill

Rte 280 from the Jersey City Holland Tunnel area or Rt 80 from GWB (Rt 280 joins Rte 80 further out). Follow it through the Delaware Water Gap and pick up Rt 380 W to Scranton. From there pick up Rt 81 N all the way to Rte 90 (Thruway) in Syracuse and head west until you see the signs near Buffalo. Some may suggest heading west on Rte 17 from Binghamton and picking up Rt 90 further west - it's probably more scenic and a few miles less but likely to take longer.

Old May 18th, 2000, 12:42 PM
howard

What Owen neglected to mention with his excellent directions is that it's a long, long drive--over 500 miles, I believe!

Old May 18th, 2000, 01:43 PM
xxx

Be sure to visit the American side of the Falls at night. It is so beautiful. The Canadian side is cool after dark too, but the American side is so peaceful.

Old May 18th, 2000, 06:43 PM
Owen O'Neill

It's about 410-420 miles from NYC to Niagara Falls and Howard is right - a very long trip! Syracuse is a good stopping point midway for a meal. It's my hometown and if you'll offer perspective on your dining preferences I'l offer some suggestions for places to try if you stop there. Stay on the Canadian side - much nicer and with the exchange rate it's much cheaper than the US side. Do NOT change your $$ at the duty free store at the border - they'll squeeze you for a few % for the privilege. Go another hundred yards or so and just behind the customs office (just before the toll booths on the bridge - it will be on your left as you're about to enter Canada) there's a $$ exchange operated by a major Candian Bank - they'll give you the official rate. The view of the lights from American side at night is worthwhile indeed, During the day try taking a box lunch and walk ocross the small footbridge to the Seven Sisters islands on the American side. There are lovely spots to sit on the rocks behind the trees and watch the water rush by while eating and pondering the power of nature - very worthwhile.

Old May 19th, 2000, 11:10 AM
Phil

Thanks for all your responses.