Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia to Boston

Search

Nova Scotia to Boston

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 12:39 PM
patti

Nova Scotia to Boston

We're planning a week-long camping trip for two couples from Halifax, Nova Scotia with maybe two days in Boston (and a day trip to Salem)in July.
(It's also my first real stay in the U.S)
We have a couple of ideas: Ball game (Boston vs Toronto), outdoor market, aquarium visit and one really good lobster dinner.
Any other suggestions? What's the best way to travel within the city? Any ideas on a decent hotel near a subway line or bus route that would get us into the heart of the city?
We planned to camp throughout the trip, but would like to spend one or two nights in a hotel or B&B. (so we can enjoy the city without worrying about getting back to camp)
Also, what else should we stop and see along the way? Campground suggestions would be welcome. (We prefer the ones with lots of trees and shower stations, if at all possible)
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 02:46 PM
Julie

Try to stop over in Maine. You will find Arcadia Maine National Park - you will not be disappointed. Most def. will have a campsite. Halifax is a great city, go see the fort and they do have boating tours and the best lobsters by far and very reasonably priced. Halifax has a boat museum by the wharf also. There not a whole lot going on but since you are going in july they may have a festival or carnival? Have a safe trip.

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 03:06 AM
BigBear

Boston Hotels are incredibly expensive - especially in the summer. If you see your rate starting to get anywhere into the$150US range, you are probably not near public transit. I would suggest staying out by Cambridge and taking the bus in for the day. I'm not familiar with any B&Bs so you might get a better rate there. My husband and I have been trying to have a long weekend in Boston in winter to see a hockey game for two easons now but I still can't make myself pay $400US per night for a room in the city. His company is based there and when he has to travel on businss, the hotel the company puts him up in costs $600US per night - nothing fancy like a suite, just a nice hotel room.

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 09:51 AM
zz-top

patti:

Yes, Boston Hotels can be pricey, but you can find accommadations for under $400, and easily in the mid-200's (Big Bear --- may want to reconsider your selection of travel agents).

For a 2 day visit in July, you'll want to book soon. I just did a quick check on a few sites and came up with following possibilities.
===== =====
http://boston.hotel-discount.org/

http://www.boston4less.com/

Copley Square Hotel
47 Huntington Avenue

With 143 rooms, the Copley Square is smaller than its neighbors, but it offers all the services and amenities you expect from a big city hotel. These include in-room coffee makers, safes, hair dryers, cable TV and Voice Mail telephones with data ports.

Here you will find three full service restaurants, generous meeting space, a concierge, and complimentary use of a nearby fitness center. Tea is offered to guests every afternoon.

The Copley Square is in Back Bay, near the shops and restaurants of Newbury Street, Prudential Center, and the Hynes Convention center.

The Buckminster
645 Beacon Street
As for the Buckminster Hotel, its greatest attraction is the rate. In a town where you can hardly find anything under $200, their rates start at $129 for a single room. Doubles are $129 also, but the best deal is a spacious 1 Bedroom Suite, for $159.

Naturally, these rates mean that you will have to compromise where service and some amenities are concerned. But so what? You'll have a clean, comfortable, convenient place to stay, with a few dollars left to enjoy the rest of Boston.
The Buckminster is smack in the middle of Kenmore Square, which is to the west of back bay. Kenmore Square has its advantages: A very central metro station, Boston University, and Fenway Park (where the Red Socks play). In fact, with a room facing in the right direction, you may be able to spot a baseball flying around Fenway, if you're there during baseball season.

Harvard Square Hotel
110 Mt. Auburn Street; Cambridge

Many visitors like to stay in Cambridge and the Harvard Square area, and why not? It is very picturesque, there's plenty to do and see, and it's an easy jog over the Charles River to Boston.

One of Cambridge's best bargains is the Harvard Square Hotel. You can't find a location nearer Harvard Square, and this hotel offers many important amenities. The 73 rooms features voice mail and data port telephones, iron, ironing board and hairdryer. There is convenient parking on site for $16.00 per night.

Rates from $159
Summer Rates from $199
Subject to Availability
Rates may vary due to seasonality

http://www.bestlodging.com/

Royal Sonesta in Cambridge
$269 to $389

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Ca-Cynthia

If you truly want to experience historic Boston & can afford rates around $250 to $300 per night, then check out the Charles Street Inn. It’s located on Beacon Hill area in a Victorian Townhouse --- and it’s wonderful !!!

http://www.charlesstreetinn.com/