Reload this Page >

NOT - A Family Vacation

Search

NOT - A Family Vacation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 09:25 AM
Stella

NOT - A Family Vacation

Are you sick of going on a vacation, just the two of you, only to be surrounded by large family groups, with loads of kid? Are you tired of everything being geared for the family vacation? Well I am! Does anybody have any recommendations on a nice quiet, romantic type vacations that are not geared to the family. Please, I'm not anti-family, or kids. I just want my turn. Thanks

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 09:33 AM
Paul Rabe

My wife have done this scores of times: go to a bed and breakfast in a quiet country town during the off-season. Drive through the back roads, looking for antique shops, covered bridges, and (if you're near the shore) lighthouses. Ask the locals for a place where you can get a quiet dinner. Then go back to the B&B.

The only problem is explaining to the B&B operator why we took so long waking up in the morning. You can't say it was the KIDS who kept you up all night.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 09:53 AM
Suzie

I have always found Napa and Sonoma to be fairly child free. After all wine tasting does not include kids. I know some people will take their kids but come on. It might be best to schedule during the week too. Never ran into kids in the fall in Tahoe. Actually on the Oregon coast in May there were no kids either. There's a place in Del Mar (San Diego Area) Called L'Auberge Del Mar Resort and Spa that doesn't attract many families. February in Palm Springs didn't have many kids. Any specific place you were thinking or just anywhere that doesn't have kids?

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Stella

I wasn't thinking about anyplace in particular (just the US, or is that just US?)LOL Although I am on the East Coast. California wine country does interest me though. Thanks for the suggestions, and keep them coming!

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 01:40 PM
d.embody

The mendocino coast of California, especially the towns of Elk and Gualala are beautiful and very good bets as are the North Georgia Mountains around Blue Ridge, Georgia. Two cabin websites for this area: www.thelastresort.com or www. blackbearcabin rentals.com

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 11:05 AM
kam

Stella, There are actually lots of B&Bs in California who request that you do not bring children! If the wine country or north coast interests you look at www.winecountry.com There are also several non family places in Carmel and Pacific Grove, California. Think New Orleans is another adult type city.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 11:37 AM
curious

Stella, you will find many places geared towards couples if you do a little homework. Any place with lots of B&B's, as mentioned, also, Nantucket, Vineyard, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Key West. Just stay somewhere that doesn't allow children, there are many such places. There are also the obvious places like "Couples" in the caribbean. It will also be easier to avoid children if you travel in family "off-season". Almost no families travel in September-mid-November (no school holidays). the second week in January-Beginning of February is also a great time. All the kids will have just returned from Christmas break and not yet entered winter break. Thats why it's generally cheaper to travel in September and January, which is an added bonus to not having kids around. Try to avoid the school holidays and summer and you should be fine, plus you'll enjoy lower prices.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 12:55 PM
Nantucket Babe

I am in Nantucket, currently. I was surprised this Summer when I called several places to make reservations (Brant Point Grill was one), and after asking how many in the party they asked if any were children. I asked why they were asking that and told them that I had noticed other restaurants hear asking the same thing. I've never heard this question asked before. All of a sudden its becoming a thing. She explained that they ask this because many diners have complained about kids dining, and would prefer not to have to hear them. So, the restaurant now has a rule that anyone under the age of 11 not be allowed in the dining room. This place has guest rooms too, so, if someone stays there with kids and wants to eat, they have to do it early (maybe 5:30 or so?). She explained that they are trying to uphold a reputation for fine dining and this new rule helps to keep it that way. I think it's a good idea. My youngest is 11, but even at her age, it doesn't have her kind of food anyway so I wouldn't bring her, but I hate when people bring noisy kids to nice places. My husband and I like to 'escape' from the noise of the house (4 kids, 11 & up) and when there's a table with 1 or 2 loud kids it sure makes a dent in our "quiet evening" out.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Beth

Cambridge Beaches resort does not allow children in the dining room in the evening. We only saw one child one time during our week's stay.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 02:01 PM
curious

Interesting Nantucket Babe. We were in Ack in July and dropped the kids at Dreamland and THEN went to dinner. Ate at American Seasons, Boardinghouse and Company of the Cauldron. Not a kid in sight. My kids wouldn't go near anything on those menu's anyway, even if I were tempted to pay $ 20 for a plate of plain pasta with butter! You would think that alone would discourage parents but apparently not from what the Brant Grill said. We always rent a house with the kids and then return in Septmeber or October without them for a long weekend. I'm always amazed at how quiet and child free it is at that time!

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 03:12 AM
Stella

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I've never been to the Nantucket area and I really appreciate the insight. Thanks, also for the wine country info. I booked-marked the sight for further surfing.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 05:04 AM
M.C.

Two comments:

1. Go on vacation when school is in session. Really cuts down on the family populations traveling.

2. The Trapp Family Lodge (Inn? Whatever) in Vermont is, ironically, "child-free."

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 05:45 AM
martha python

M.C.--The thing about the Trapp Family Lodge is a myth--it even has special programs for children.
http://www.trappfamily.com/

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 08:24 AM
Stella

MC - You know I used to think that travelling while school is in session is a great idea. Now I'm just amazed at how many people take their kids out of school througout the school year just to go on vacation. Thanks for the tip though.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 08:36 AM
schoolstarts

Lots of kids, especially in CA, have year round school so there is a third of the students out of school in any given month. So before you think parents remove their kids from school you'd have to ask to be sure. Don't forget the increasing number of parents who home school now. Can't really blame them!

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 09:18 AM
Joan

Try Marblehood, Mass off season-great atmosphere, charming restaurants, historical inerest and virtually child-free during weekdays Sept 1-May.