Northern Florida Beach Getaway

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northern Florida Beach Getaway

I want to take my boyfriend away for his birthday (the weekend of Sept. 29) but because of our work schedules, we can only afford to drive briefly, spending Fri. and Sat. nights away. We live in New Orleans. Any suggestions for beaches/hotels/condos/etc.

I was thinking Destin....but I've done that sooo many times. Someone recommended Seaside, but lodging is a little too expensive.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:32 PM

Sea Grove is more reasonable than Seaside, but close enough to enjoy SS restaurants, etc.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:32 PM

Sorry, Seagrove.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:37 PM

Here's a very reasonable vrbo rental in Seagrove. They say it is walking distance to Seaside.

http://www.vrbo.com/43367
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 04:34 AM

Have you considered Pensacola Beach? It's at least an hour closer than Destin. All of the hotels have been recently refurbished due to Hurricane Ivan. Lots of construction still going on but the main core area of the beach is nice with plenty of restaurants and shops open. Of course, September is an iffy weather month but you know that where you live!

Have a great time wherever you decide to go.

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 04:44 AM

Since we stayed in SeaGrove two years ago (and loved it), I took a look at the VRBO unit that Starrsville posted. And it made me remember that ground floor units (such as that one)aren't likely to offer the wonderful ocean/sunset views that you would get if you were on the second - or even better, third level (of a low-rise condo unit).

We did like Seagrove very, very much and it is right next door to Seaside. Hope you can make it work - you'll have a wonderful time!

( http://www.vrbo.com/28883 is the unit we rented. I really liked the small scale of the development, the proximity to the beach, the view- as noted - from our terrace, and the unit itself was very nice and very well-kept. )
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 04:59 AM

Good point, tucker.

OP, I just linked to the first vrbo.com rental as a path for you to "shop" the rentals available. I know nothing about that specific link (or other units). I do know that Seagrove is a great alternative to Seaside if moderate vacation lodging is an issue. Happy planning.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 09:08 AM

This time of year in SEAGROVE is fantastic! Seagrove is a very special place and it is about 1.5 to 2 miles to Seaside proper. We have been going to Seagrove for many years!! There are a number of good rental options depending on your needs....but a GREAT value is
One Seagrove Place www.oneseagroveplace.com
Rented there quite a bit over the years...(I have absolutely no vested interest in this place by the way...I just know the area really well and now have a non-rental second home there)...but in all our years of renting down there we never found a better value. Fancier places are available, yes...for a lot more $$$...
Some good restaurants in that general area...BORAGO'S, CAFE TANGO....for nice dining. For more casual...fun...RED BAR. Have a great trip!!