Northeast/Mid-AtlanticTrip Idea for Fall

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got 5 vacation days to burn and no idea where to go. Hopefully this thread can help my wife and I out.

We're looking for somewhere not too cold (a.k.a. < 40 degrees Fahrenheit) or too hot (a.k.a. >80 degrees Fahrenheit), within about 8 hours driving distance of central-southern Pennsylvania. She likes urban settings, I like the outdoors. We enjoy people-watching, architecture, music, and history. I would like to keep the budget under $250 a day including everything.

Any ideas? We're hoping to avoid Philly and NYC, as we've been there a lot and are looking for something fresh. Thanks!
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 01:05 PM

You might be able to make Portland ME in 8 hours. Do a Casco Bay cruise. Fun Old Port shopping area. Portsmouth NH would be closer and might be even better. If weather is good you can probably do some sea kayaking. Strawbery Banke Historic Area. Great restaurant. Boat trips. Market Square is a popular area to walk. Should be several choices for music.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 01:47 PM

Newport, RI

www.gonewport.com
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 12:31 AM

A nice loop would be Pittsburgh (album at http://tinyurl.com/2g8tnza) and Fallingwater/Kentuck Knob.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. I have to wonder if Maine/NH might be a bit cold in the Fall. It's in my thread title, but I should have restated it in the post. We're looking to travel in late September/October/early November.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 05:36 AM

That budget may be a challenge but I'd head south to Jefferson's Monticello visiting Annapolis, Washington, Alexandria Va. along the way. http://www.monticello.org/visit/index.html
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 08:03 AM

Will definitely second Annapolis. You can easily spend two full days sightseeing there, and it's a lovely city with plenty of historic buildings.

The obvious suggestion would be PA Dutch country (Lancaster, Hershey, Harrisburg, Gettysburg), but you may have already seen the attractions here.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 08:07 AM

Forgot to second the obvious -- Washington, DC of course is a must if you haven't been. You could easily spend your whole vacation there and then some, as there are tons of attractions to see.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 08:09 AM

You're right Sept is great for NH/ME, most of Oct is good but I'd cross them off for November which isn't fall but 'almost winter'.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

We live in PA Dutch country (right outside of Lancaster), so those are out. We've also been to D.C. a lot, so I'd like to try somewhere different.

My wife grew up in Maryland, so she probably wouldn't be too interested in Annapolis.

@bookhall - what is there to do in "the Burgh" besides seeing the Pens get destroyed by the Flyers?
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 08:58 AM

If New England and New York State are out, plus most of Pennsylvania, Maryland, and DC, that's really limiting things a lot.

Virginia might be your best bet, maybe Richmond and/or Williamsburg/Jamestown/Yorktown. Or you could consider a trip that includes any or all of Columbus, Cleveland, Canton, and Toledo, OH. All have attractions worth considering. Can only vouch for Columbus (only place I've actually been of these), but you could easily spend a full sightseeing day there. My research suggests you could easily spend ca. 3 days in Cleveland or Richmond, a day in Toledo (they apparently have a fine glass museum there), a day in Canton (Pro Football Hall of Fame), or ca. 3 days in Williamsburg/Jamestown/Yorktown.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 10:14 AM

Maine will be a bit cold, but no too bad. I think Southern Maine would be an excellent trip, especially late September. However it's a little over your 8 hours mentioned (if you drive the speed limit), closer to 9 hours. The summer crowds will be gone and there will be some serious lodging discounts. The weather is nicer (year round - cooler in summer and warmer in winter) the closer to the coast you are. Leave EARLY on Saturday from PA and EARLY on Saturday from ME and you'll have seven glorious days.

Also between an 8 and 9 hours drive from Lancaster is Montreal, Canada. A very different trip, obviously, than the lighthouses and coastal scenery of Maine, but equally fantastic as a trip.

Maine will generally have cheaper lodging but here is a great, inexpensive B&B right in the old town part of Montreal for only $160 (very cheap for this city/location): http://www.lesanssoucy.com/ There are lots of options in/near Montreal for hiking in addition to all the urban delights.

Either northern destination will keep you occupied and wanting to stay longer.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

@Bachslunch, who said NY state and New England were out? And Philly and the Susquehanna Valley is most of PA? cratches head: I will look at Virginia and Ohio though; I've never done more than drive through them.

@bardo - Montreal is a great idea. Is passport processing time back down to normal levels? Ours are expired and I remember reading that it was taking 4-6 months to get new ones a little while ago. Also, thanks for the tips on southern Maine. It is a beautiful state.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 11:39 AM

Spivonious, maybe I'm mistaken when I saw you say "I have to wonder if Maine/NH might be a bit cold in the Fall." I think they likely may be, especially after Columbus Day, and that goes for Vermont, a good bit of upstate New York, and even western Massachusetts as well. In fact, it can snow in various areas of any of these states during September. Eastern Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut are less likely, but can get chilly anytime from October on, and while snow is rare in these areas before November, it can happen on occasion. Was under the impression this was not a good thing here. Plus many attractions in New England and upstate New York are seasonal, some closing up as early as Labor Day.

As for Pennsylvania, someone else suggested Pittsburgh above, and Philly/Susquehanna is about the only other part of this state I would feel comfortable recommending to someone else. Have also been to Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, and State College, but they're not places I'm willing to push forward to others as "musts," though perhaps others will disagree. I can't say I've done research in other parts of the state, so I can't in good conscience suggest anything here.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 11:48 AM

S,

The current worst case for expedited passports is 2-3 weeks.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/pro...sing_1740.html

You should go on and renew even if you are not sure about going to Montreal this fall (or anywhere), opportunities (or the NEED) for travel can present themselves at any time. I suggest to all of never letting one's passport expire.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 11:54 AM

Here is month to month temp chart for Portland , ME it may be warmer to the south,http://www.great-maine-vacations.com...and-maine.html
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 12:08 PM

Pittsburgh and the Laural Highlands might work for you. As mentioned above, Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob are both interesting tours. Ohiopyle State Park is nearby and is very pretty and has hiking and kayaking (don't know how late into the year that goes). Pittsburgh has the Andy Warhol Museum, Carnegie Museum (which I loved), Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens. The two areas are about 90 minutes apart.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think it's down to the Williamsburg area and the Pittsburgh area.