North Shore MA hotels

Search

North Shore MA hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North Shore MA hotels

We are going to visit the Salem/Rockport/Gloucester/Newburyport area the first week of October.

Does anyone have a recommendation for which city would be a good base to stay? We're doing 3-4 nts, renting a car. I've researched a lot on this board, and appreciate any suggestions.

We don't want to spend over 130/nt, so areas like Peabody, Beverly, Danvers wouldn't be out of the question if the other areas are pricey. No B&Bs, though. Would staying at more than one hotel work better?

Also, is it difficult to drive from Logon to this area? Any "direct" routes"?

Thanks!
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 10:56 AM

Having lived in Rockport (I’m biased) – I would highly recommend it as the place to stay. Obviously very near Gloucester (Rocky Neck for artist studios and restaurants); so you can do both. Rockport’s size, location on ocean, beauty appeal to me. It’s also close to Essex (Woodmans lobster & antiques), Ipswich (Gooddale Orchards + the Clam Box) etc. Salem is bigger and more city-like; has lots of “witch” tourist attractions. (Peabody, Danvers, Beverly wouldn’t appeal to me-although they probably give you better access to Route 128 and ability to go quickly in many directions.) In Rockport, there is Cpt.’s Bounty Motor Inn – directly on the ocean-check that out: http://www.captainsbountymotorinn.com/
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 11:05 AM

p.s. It is not difficult to drive; it's under 1 hour to Rockport. You need to get on 1 North and go to 128 North.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

jbass,

I checked out the hotel and it looks great. I called for rates and they were very reasonable.

Oceanfront, what more can you ask for?!

Thank you so much for your advice. I can't wait to go; I'm looking forward to a relaxing, scenic trip!

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 05:50 PM

I would definitely suggest Newburyport as your home base. The town is beautiful and historic - near the ocean - and under an hours drive south & east to Salem, Glouster and Rockport. It also allows you to head north to Portsmouth NH and Portland Maine - both within an hours drive. Look at www.167water.com for a lovely B&B for $85 per night in Newburyport. We have stayed there and it is great!