Reload this Page >

North Jersey place to celebrate

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:47 AM
ramonaq

Need a restaurant moderately priced and casual in Northern NJ for a group of 6-8 to have a celebration. Lots of drinks (or BYOB)

Just a place where a group can be loud and make their own fun.

I know, this is close to NYC but need to stay in NJ for the night
Thanks

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 01:01 PM
xxx

don pepe's in pine brook
mexicali rose in montclair
anyone else?

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Merilee

My suggestions are Mundo Latino on Bergenline Avenue in North Bergen...it's casual, very reasonable, good food and portions, (Spanish, such as paella, chicken and rice, huge steaks, and seafood) sangria (or mixed drinks), and your group can have fun...there's another good Spanish restaurant on Bergen Blvd. in Farivew called El Quijote...also casual, fun, and good and they serve alcohol...Patsy's (Italian) on Bergen Blvd. in Fairview is another good choice along with Rudy's on Anderson Avenue in Cliffside Park and Segovia's in Moonachie.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 02:47 PM
mmmmmmmm

Park & Orchard (eclectic) in East Rutherford is good for large groups. Bazzerelli (italian)in Moonachie. & there are tons of Spanis & Portugese restraunts in the Ironbound Section of Newark that are incredible. Also Hoboken has millions of places.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 03:20 PM
kate

I second Park & Orchard.
Merilee, I can't believe you mentioned Rudy's! We used to eat there all the time when we lived in that area..the best fried calamari!Ha, small small world,no?

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:02 AM
Owen O'Neill

I'd be hesitant about Mexicali Rose in Montclair but think that Park & orchard is a good choice (if you have a healthy budget - it's nice but not cheap). If budget is a bigger concern the recommendationsin North Bergen are good ones. Mexicali Rose has amazingly good Mexican food and a fun atmosphere but when I ate there last year with my daughter and her friend (college age), we had soup and entrees, finished dinner in short order (had been at table less than 45 minutes) and when I asked to see a dessert menu was advised that the manager said "we can't sell you dessert - it's busy and we need the table". Mind boggling, I admit, but this is a true story. If this is a typical practice for them I'd be inclined to think that they's make it uncomfortable for a large group to hang out for an extended period of time.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:15 AM
al

O.K., I'm going out a limb here (at the risk of being verbally abused) but will suggest Houlihans, at Lincoln Harbor in Weehawken. Why Houlihans, you ask with disdain? Yes, I know, the food can be mediocre at best, but in this case the attraction is the New York City skyline. This particular Houlihans is a couple hundred feet from the Hudson River and gives you a clear shot of Manhattan. There's also a large outdoor area for dining/drinking al fresco (weather permitting). Definitely casual, moderately priced and a "make your own fun" kind of place -- with a view.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:31 AM
Merilee

Kate, it is a small world! Rudy's is still popular with regulars, and the new who become regulars.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:49 AM
Geoff

I think you need to be more specific about what "northern NJ" means, but if Pine Brook is OK, then in Morris Plains Arthur's is great for a real meal not just bar food, and you'll fit right in if you're loud. Harper's on Route 10 is good.

Mahwah Bar and Grill, the Mason Jar, Kinchley's, and Spring Valley Brew Pub in Suffern NY are NY state border places.

Further west in Chester are both the Lamplighter and Old Mill Tavern. In Basking Ridge is Pistilli's. (I think it's still that) Morristown has many places, but I think the louder night spot places like Callaloo, or what ever Argyll's is called now, etc. aren't so good. The Palm Grill might be the closest to that.

Nero's in Livingston is a great restaurant first, with a good bar. Places closer to the city have been mentioned.

All are casual and reasonably priced, some a little bit more than others though.

PS Thanks everyone for mentioning Park and Orchard, I almost forgot today to make reservations for this Sat, we are scheduled to go there after a hockey game.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 05:34 PM
ramonaq

Been to a few Ironbound restaurants...great idea! Also have been to Arthur's in Morris Plains...a fav but I was looking for something a little nicer.

Have also been to a lot of Morristown restaurants...the ones mentioned might be too young for this mixed 30 to 50 crowd.

Always wanted to try Park and Orchard...checking if there is a website...is it hard to get reservations for a Sat night?