North Carolina Furniture Vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 1999, 07:02 AM
Steve

Good Day,

I live on Long Island, New York and am considering going to North Carolina to shop for furniture. Is it worth it? Where are good places to go? Where are good places to stay and things to see?

Thanks.

Old Oct 16th, 1999, 07:35 AM
elaine

Steve,
I just saw an excellent review of this on Frommer's site this week. Very concise including all pitfalls.
http://www.frommers.com/features/99-10/
index3.html

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 12:39 AM
JoAnn

I did a search on "Hickory NC" and there are all sorts of listings--hotels included. It's been a few years ago, but we stopped and went through some wonderful places all around. We picked up a small catalog that listed all the showrooms/companies. We looked at some beautiful furniture and it was cheaper than we had seen at home. They will ship, for a price, or take your own U-Haul. Several friends have bought down there and love it and saved money. We would go back.

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 06:34 PM
michelle

Hi. My husband and I traveled down there in July and ordered dining room furniture and tables for the living room. We saved a lot of money. We first got price quotes at home so we would have something to compare with. We shopped around down there and told the salespeople that we were comparing prices.
We went to Furnitureland first, where we got the highest price. Furnitureland is the most well known store there, but that does not always mean they give the best prices. The store across the street from Furnitureland, which is called Boyles, gave us a lower price. The next day we went to the Atrium Furniture Mall and went to Wood Armfield where we got a fantastic price which we eventually ordered.
All of the stores that we went to were in High Point, North Carolina. We only had two days to spend down there so we didn't go to Hickory.
My advice to you is to know what you want to buy before you go down. At least know what pieces you want to buy and try to narrow down the styles. They have so much to look at and it would be easy to get influenced if you aren't sure on what you want.
If you have any questions feel free to email me at [email protected]

Old Oct 18th, 1999, 04:40 AM
Neal Sanders

Steve, we spent a day in Hickory earlier this month shopping for furniture. We picked the Hickory Furniture Mart over the Atrium (in High Point) because of the size and the number of stores.

The Hickory Furniture Mart is a four-level mall, roughly a million square feet, and all furniture. Stores range from massive, multi-level affairs (Boyles) to shops that are only a few hundred square feet (selling, for example, French "country accents"). The good news is that every furniture manufacturer on the face of the earth is represented. The bad news is that, of the better (read: high end) furniture companies, only one store in the Mall is allowed to represent their line. We were specifically looking to see some pieces by Henkel-Harris and Hekman, the "authorized" dealer didn't have the pieces on their floor, so we were no better off than if we had ordered from a catalog.

The value of going to the Mart, in my mind, was seeing the custom manufacturers, a number of whom have showrooms and will take the time to go over the furniture with you.

As to lodging, there are two dozen motels along US 70 within a mile of the Mart; our Red Roof Inn was $62. There is a Holiday Inn attached to the Mall, but their "package" was $89; high by local standards.

As to things to see, the area north of Hickory gets into the North Carolina mountains; Mount Mitchell, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Little Switzerland, etc. are all less than an hour from Hickory.

Old Oct 18th, 1999, 08:18 AM
larry

Michelle was right on!!! You must shop before you go, to have an idea of what you want. Otherwise you will be overwhelmed. Also, your shopping will help you know if you what sort of deal you are getting.

I will add two points. First, when we went, the places closed at 6 on saturday, with no sunday shopping. Plan accordingly. Second, the places are huge. We got dizzy trying to go fast through furniture land. Also, its not condusive to a run through as the prices were not posted. They post retail, and you need to page your rep (that's part of the whole process of signing in to these large stores) to find out the price they sell it for. It tkaes time for the rep to come and look up the price. Again, just add that factor to the planning.

If you plan far enough in advance, the high point chamber of commerce will send you a package. our arrived about three weeks after we got home.

We purchased Rowe Showroom products at wood armfield. a GREAT deal. I think we stayed at a run fo the mill chain.

Friends flew in on our advice and furnished an entire new house!!

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 03:07 PM
Steve

I want to thank all of the folks who responded to this.

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 12:08 PM
Up

It's about time to get some new furniture before the stuff we have collapses into matchsticks. Any new input?

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 01:04 PM
ncgirl

Furniture Market is soon. Avoid the area like the plague. It's easy to do since there won't be a hotel room or rental car within 100 miles of High Point.
After the market, usually sales of sample items, good time to get stuff. If you didn't read the frommers article (I hate to give the competition a plug but it is a good article).

I've bought furniture from Rose Furniture in High Point and they sent me a thank you note!

Several of the stores have package deals with hotels and they will arrange shipping or get you a deal on a U-Haul for stuff you buy. Needless to say, their shuttle van will only take you to their store. If you want to shop around you will have to plan your own trip.

By all means, have some idea of what you want. Some of the stores have web sites where you can look at the furniture before going to the store. It might be good for narrowing down styles, but you must see it in person to know if it will fit your needs.

Furnitureland in High Point is about the size of five football fields (and that's just one of their stores!) Some stores do not take credit cards (Furnitureland) and most are not open on Sundays.

Closest airport is Piedmont-Triad Internation in Greensboro (less than 20 miles)

Enjoy sunny NC.

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 07:27 PM
Dan

Unless you can take it with you, DON'T pay cash for the furniture, use a credit card, even for deposits. Don't do business with anyone who insists on cash before delivery. We have bought a lot of furniture from NC and you can find great pieces and save a lot of $$$, but delivery takes time, 10-12 wks (if they get the order right), and companies can and do go out of business in the meantime.

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 04:11 AM
laura

I know it was mentioned earlier, but I'll reiterate and clarify: be sure you have an idea what you are looking for. Bring measurements of the room, furniture you already have and Doorways (our armour would not fit into the house). Bring samples of fabrics you are trying to match and fabrics you like. Some stores literally have thousands of fabric books. Bring samples of wallcovering/paint for the room you are shopping for. It really helps to bring pictures of the room itself. If there are any particular styles or brands you like, list them.

I know this seems like a lot, but it is worth it. In my experience, the High Point stores have very knowledgable staff that can help with your purchase decisions, but only if you have the information with you.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 04:16 PM

Anyone else done this?