Search

North Carolina

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2012, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North Carolina

Adult daughter and Mother will be visiting family in Leland, NC July or August for 2 weeks but would also like to tour the area. Need help in where to visit and what to see as
we are native Californians and have not traveled much in this area.
Would like to see Ashville and Biltmore house and have never been to
Charleston. Relatives tell us Leland is close to Wilmington so need
advice on what to do and see in Wilmington. I am a retired teacher
and my daughter is also a teacher but not retired. Enjoy gardens, museums
historical places and would enjoy touring southern mansions.
What airport should we fly into?
Since we will be renting a car the car probably needs to be returned
to the same city we are flying in and out of.
Open to suggestions and any help given will be much appreciated.
Helen near Los Angeles, CA
Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:03 AM

When you go to Ashville, I would take State Highway 74 through Chimney Rock rather than the interstate for your last leg of the drive. The area is scenic. Lake Lure is beautiful.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:12 AM

Welcome to North Carolina!
a. which airport? Probably RDU or CLT will give you the best fares and best chance of a non stop from CA.
b. Charleston is in South Carolina and is well worth a visit. It is a beautiful city with great architecture and some of the best restaurants in the USA.
c. If you love history you should make a stop at Old Salem in Winston-Salem. It is right off I-40 between Wilmington and Asheville.
d. Wilmington has a lovely waterfront and some interesting historical buildings. It is also a great beach area.
e. I recommend you click on the North Carolina tagged posts in the forum and see what intrigues you. There are a number of regular posters who will be glad to help you enjoy our beautiful state.
Old May 27th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the geography lesson! Boy, am I a dummy!
I will follow your suggestions and let you know.
Looking forward to the trip.
Old May 27th, 2012, 01:40 PM

No dummy, at all. Charleston is VERY accessible for your trip, and you should consider it.
How long do you have. It could be a GREAT trip, but we need more info.
Leland/Wilmington is only about a scenic 3 hour drive to Charleston, for example.
Then Charleston to Asheville is about 5 or so hours, not so scenic, but easy. Then Asheville to Wilmington is about 4 hours.
Fly into Charlotte or RDU for maybe best and most direct fares. Then rent a car, drive to Leland and do the RT. There are other ways to do it probably, but that will be a start.
Old May 27th, 2012, 03:43 PM

If you can, fly into RDU, drive to Leland, then to Charleston, then to Asheville and fly home from Charlotte. Flying open jaw will save you a couple hours drive time. 2 weeks is plenty of time for this.
Old May 28th, 2012, 03:32 AM

Southwest has flight to Charleston and Greenville SC . Depending on the time period they are often $50 to $150 cheaper than othe airlines and offer two free bags. You could fly into to Charleston, rest, sightsee then visit the family in Leland. Then visit Asheville. Other than Asheville itself which has limited flights Greenville is closest.

The only problem is see is the cost of getting a rental car company to accept a different return location.
Old May 28th, 2012, 04:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can actually fly thru CLT and on to Wilmington
Old May 28th, 2012, 06:38 AM

Sounds like a fun trip.

I would add that August is hot. As you look for a hotel in Charleston you'll see that prices in the Historic District are higher than others in the area. I highly recommend you stay in the HD, so that you can pop back into your room for a cool-off break. Plan to tour early in your day, then enjoy the local cuisine during the late afternoon.
Old May 28th, 2012, 07:35 AM

But flying "through" Charlotte to Wilmington isn't a fare to Charlotte for an open jaw, if that is what you are suggesting.
Pretty sure Southwest flies to RDU, and maybe charlotte now.
One airport that "might" give a cheaper fare, but is much more in "line" with the itinerary (than Greenville or Charleston) is the Greesboro/Triad airport. Might check fares for that one--it's between Charlotte and RDU, and car rental RT might work out just fine--and might be cheaper.