Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Non-stop Houston to Honolulu - Anyone been?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Jillian

Looking for thoughts on what this 8 hour long plane flight would really be like? Would it be too unbearable, especially for people that do not fly often? Can't decide whether it would be better to get their sooner of break up the trip by staying overnight in the LA area. What about first class - would it be worth it for this flight? (Never flown first class but hubby was upgraded once on another airline and said it was incredible. This flight would be on Continental.) Thanks for your input.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Bo

If you fly Continental by all means go for the BusinessFirst seating. It is terrific - the best in the business!
Even if you are in coach, you'll probably be on a 777, nicely designed and about as comfortable as coach can be.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 11:17 AM
patg

I have flown Chicago-Honolulu, about the same distance, and, while the non-stop is more convenient, there are good reasons to do a stopover. If you have any circulation problems, sitting for 8 hours is difficult, and may be dangerous to your health. If you do go non-stop, definitely try for first or business class. You won't be sorry.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Nova

Going to Hawaii is not as bad as coming back. You flight back is usually overnight and unless you can sleep real well on an airplane you lose a whole nights sleep.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 12:58 PM
zach

Flown Cont. Houston to Honolulu a couple of times. If you could up-grade go for it.

Liked the convenience of of the non-stop but not the 8 hours. Had hoped to go back in June and had been looking into the LA layover as well. But had just about come to the conclusion that the hassle of getting to and from a hotel and getting flight times that were workable was not worth it (unless you'd be staying a couple of days).

Last 2 times we flew American. The extra room is really noticable.

Then just a couple of weeks ago job sent out an email stating that no vacations could be taken anytime from May to September. All that research for nothing.

Bottom line is whatever you want. I had decided to go with either Continental or American-- whoever I could get the best flight times and prices. Have fun.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 06:55 AM
bettyk

Flew Coack on Continental non stop to Honolulu in 2000 and swore I would never do it again. The most uncomfortable flight in my life. If they are now flying 777's on that route, I assume there will be more leg room than on the flight I had. In May 2002, we flew American to Europe on a 777 and it was great. The best flight ever. You might want to check out both airlines.

I also agree that if you can get an upgrade, Continental's BusinessFirst is super.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Jillian

Unfortunately, the plane is not a 777, but a 767. Bettyk, is this the type you flew on? OK, now for a really dumb question when I go to Continental's website for checking prices there is only one selection that says BusinessFirst/First. Does this mean this is the same category? I always thought there was a difference between Business Class and First Class.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Sarah

I have done this flight with my starting point being Newark. In 2000 the planes being used were large with tv's on the back of the seat. I have yet to find a more comfortable flight to Hawaii.

8 hours is nothing. I am lucky to get off with 10 hours direct from Newark. That is a long flight dalink but worth it considering you are on board with hula shirts and happy holiday makers for the entire trip. I picked up hiking tips, spoke to happy honeymooners even met a make a wish kid that selected Waikiki (the healing place) for his dream trip.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Steve

Kind of silly to worry about 8 hours if unless you have a medical condition that is a different story. You won't get most places in this world if you can't handle 8 hours. I just don't expect it to be great. Don't expect a hotel stay and you will be ok. I like to remember long car rides I have endured. Read, write and sleep. Forget about time and you will be fine.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 07:44 AM
sss

ps that would be Aloha Shirts not hula shirts

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 08:28 AM
gail

We have been on 12 hour flights (not this one, but it doesn't matter really). While some people like a stop-over to stretch legs, etc. with airport delays, security, etc. today, I think you are better just taking the non-stop flight. Do you really want to spend the better part of 2 days traveling?

Bring food, consider taking some Benadryl or something a little stronger for sleep, and use it as a forced time without interruptions to read, listen to music, nap. Don't count on a upgrade, although it would be nice.

The long flight home is always worse since you don't have a nice vacation to look forward to - but often an eastbound flight picks up a tailwind, so it might be a little shorter. On the way home on our 12-hour flight, after 10 hours I was ready to parachute out over the Atlantic.

So see it as something annoying, not at torture.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 09:33 AM
FLYER

Flew AA coach from Dallas to Maui with 2 young kids. Flight was surprisingly easy and flight back even better. Return flight was not full like flight there and could stretch out and sleep.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 10:17 AM
nance

We took Continental from Houston to Honolulu in June of this year. I believe the flight was actually 7 hours, but I may have messed up with the 5 hour time change. It was miserable. Continental double sold our seats even though we had booked 6 months in advance, confirmed our seats and arrived 4 hours before the flight. They gave the seats to the other people because they were sitting in them. They put my husband , my 11 year old and myself in seats scattered all over the plane. I was stuck between two women who went to sleep as soon as the plane left the ground. The flight attendant asked us if we would like a drink for our troubl, but then never brought one. Just as well, a drink would have made me need to use the restroom, and of course I could not get up without waking the sleeping ladies. When we got to Honolulu, Continental had notified Hawaiian airlines that we had missed our flight from Houston, and they had canceled our flight to Maui!! Can you tell I am still mad? I called the 1-800-wecare line when I got back, and they told me they don't care. I have complained through Planet feedback but never heard anything at all. If at all possible, fly another airline.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 12:58 PM
bettyk

Nance brought back an issue I had forgotten about on our Cont'l flight to Honolulu in 2000 to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Because we used miles to get one free ticket, I had booked our flights 9 months in advance with seat assignments. Prior to our departure, I reconfirmed our flights, times, seats, etc. On our day of departure, when we checked in, we were given seats on opposite ends of the plane! They had made an equipment change so all the prior seat assignments had gotten screwed up! After explaining nicely that we had booked 9 months ago and this was to celebrate our anniversary, etc., I was told that they would see what they could do. Fortunately, we were finally given seats together, but they were further back in the plane than the seats I had booked originally. Then the flight was extremely uncomfortable with our knees up under our chins for 8 hours. Thank God the flight was shorter coming home due to a tailwind or something.

For our next trip to Maui in 2003, we are booked on American. Hopefully, it will be more comfortable and less stressful!

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 07:14 PM
aloha

I have flown nonstop from St Louis to HNL, on TWA, about 8-9 hrs. (this would now be American, and unfortunately I haven't flown American since they added the leg room) As someone already said, with the current security concerns, i would much rather take a nonstop than risk getting stranded at the intermediate airport. In coach, you can expect to be somewhat cramped. Take a snack, water, a neck pillow, and eyeshade to help sleep if your return flight is overnight. Get up and walk in the aisle periodically; this helps w/ circulation. I have read that you can prevent edema by flexing your calf muscles while seated. You can get up and stretch in the aisle too. You will see many people getting up to stretch during the flight. Being in Hawaii will make the flight worth it!

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 04:59 AM
777Fan

Continental IS flying 777's on this route. Check the time of departure, the 777 flys at 930am.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 07:17 PM
p.

Well it's about same travel time out of DFW of course, done that on AA a few times, no big deal - hey, you're going to Hawaii, don't waste a vac day on a stopover ! Bring a good book; we bought Subway sandwiches in DFW just prior to boarding so didn't need airline food .. if CO is flying their 777 on Hawaii routes then they'll be great. Have a great trip.. p

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:15 AM
donna

Continental either flies the 777 or 767 on this route. The website will tell you the equipment. I am booked next July on the morning flight (CO 1)and it is a 767. The CO 767 is better than the CO 777. The seat pitch on the 767 is 32 vs 31 on the 777. Both have personal video screens on each seat. The seating config on the 767 is better, because it is 2-3-2, vs 3-3-3 on the 777.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Sarah

yeah but donna the 777 has tv's on the back of the seat and if memory serves the 767 only has one isle. Kind of nice to stroll about in 2 isles on the 777. You also have a wide back area where you can talk and look out the window.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 08:41 AM
x

I prefer a smaller plane so that the line at the back of the plane is not so long, if you get my meaning. wink. Sarah I suppose 2 aisles means you can walk in endless circles but it usually turns out that there are beverage carts in the way. Maybe you mean there are "islands" (isles) on airplanes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -