Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NOLITA/LITTLE ITALY FAVORITE EATING PLACES...tips from a local

Apr 26th, 2019, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

I always like to share my local favorites.

So far in the last week plus since I returned home, we've re-visited BABBO, which is akin to our neighborhood Italian place even though it's not actually in our neighborhood. Long and broad menu; there is no octopus in the city that is better than the one they serve. Branzino, although farmed like every other branzino served in NYC, is superb with the lemon/oregano confiture. (I make an exception here to my practice of avoiding farm-raised fish). Soft shell crab, spaghetti with ramps, and a nettle pasta are among the specials this week.
Must look for nettles in the greenmarket; so far I've not seen them but ramps are piled very high.

PASQUALE JONES is known for their clam pizza but should be better known for their vegetable dishes, especially the leeks and for a few short weeks in spring, their vignarola. Anything from the wood-burning oven is bound to be worth the pain of getting a reservation. Check includes service. Prices on the high side.

WAYAN..I've had only one meal here but the Indonesian dishes served up by Cedric Vongerichten of Perry Street fame (and we sampled many!) convinced me to book a few more dinners here. The pork ribs were a tad dry but I'd order them again, they were that tasty. Pea campur is a must, as are the Jimbaran Clams...the clams are worth the trip alone!!!! Very friendly service, too. Two of us, with three glasses cava/wine paid $130 and change before tip but with tax.

Upcoming this week, are two well-reviewed restaurants in Queens: ADDA (Long Island City) and TAVERNA KOS (Ditmars area of Astoria; no reservations weekends) along with VIC'S on Great Jones near Bowery.

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Apr 26th, 2019 at 11:29 AM.
Apr 26th, 2019, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Hi!!

Can editors tag this "New York"?? I think I forgot......on the off chance anyone wants to read it..
Apr 26th, 2019, 07:47 PM

Thanks Eks
Jun 15th, 2019, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

UPDATE:

ADDA in Long Island City is the best Indian restaurant I've ever visited in the US. Worth the walk from East Side Manhattan, and easy subway and bus access, too. Giant rave about this place. Food is very spicy as it should be. do not go if you cannot tolerate heat as in spice-laden. One of the few take-away meals that I did not have to add hot sauce to my dishes.

Made many local lists of "best new restaurants": of the past year. I would agree, in folds. Do go, even if you do have to walk across the Bridge. If you take out, as I did, or even if you do not, do notmiss the mango lassi and the nan with Amul cheese.

Adda | New York Magazine | The Thousand Best

TAVENA KOS in Astoria near Ditmars Blvd. Pork sausages were extremely excellent; you can buy them at the butcher in Agora Plaza in Astoria (I asked the super friendly waiter). Apart from those, rest of the dinner was forgettable. Soft shell crabs (three, good sized) had far too much garlic and too little salt. We ordered many, many dishes. Feta was excellelnt, smothered with oregano. Super!!

Lovely staff but I was not able to order and thus was not pleased with many of the dishes as they were just not to my taste,. Our dining companion did the ordering as he had been before; I would have ordered different items so perhaps I might have been more happy with those selections. Again, lovely staff. Cash only, Limited wine offerings ("red or white"). We like these friends so much that the dinner was great despite lack of great dishes. Would certainly give this a second chance over Taverna Kyclades; fellow diners were all speaking Greek; this is in a Greek social club on a corner in a residential area. Certainly much more :authentic" than many of the more well-known Greek spots in the area. Dinner $125 per couple (cash only) with wine and far too much food, with lots to take home.

Pancoan Society Hippocrates Taverna Kos | Eat the World NYC

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Jun 15th, 2019 at 02:54 PM.
Jun 15th, 2019, 07:57 PM

Try the grilled octopus at Taverna Kyclades.
Jun 15th, 2019, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by IMDonehere View Post
Try the grilled octopus at Taverna Kyclades.
That's one of my favorites! A local friend took me there in October 2016, specifically for the octopus. Fabulous!
Jun 17th, 2019, 07:21 AM

Thanks, Eks. Taverna Kos looks wonderful.
Jun 17th, 2019, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by starrs View Post
That's one of my favorites! A local friend took me there in October 2016, specifically for the octopus. Fabulous!
I am glad you enjoyed it. It is wonderful place, and they serve portions that are very un-Manhattan, as they come out of Queens.

Next time you are in the neighborhood try Madame Vo the original. I have not been to her BBQ place yet, but I would be shocked if it wasn't good.
Jun 17th, 2019, 02:29 PM

ekscrunchy and other NY’rs, by any chance have you tried Rossini’s on 38th between Park and Lexington? It’s an easy walk from where we’re staying, looks kind of tucked away and interesting for Italian. Thanks.
Jun 17th, 2019, 07:18 PM

Never eaten there. Take a look at I Trulli
Jun 18th, 2019, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

I've not been to the MADAME VO BBQ place (seems very pricey) but I LOVE the original one....I always get the short rib ($5 extra) with their pho....that is almost as good as Second Avenue chicken in the pot if you are sick in the winter! And less money!

Why, oh why, do I live in a neighborhood where I have to take a bus or Via to eat good food outside of my own kitchen? Those M15 bus drivers should know my name by now!

Same area, I liked HUNAN SLURP.

https://www.hunanslurp.com/menu

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Jun 18th, 2019 at 04:47 AM.
Jun 18th, 2019, 05:34 AM

We will have to try Hunan Slurp. There are certain names that do not translate well