Search

NOLA fashion

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOLA fashion

Fashion always seems to be a hot topic on the Fodor's Europe board and I have pretty good idea of how to pack for Europe, but I am going to New Orleans in late June and wonder how casual the tourists are. Of course, there is a range of styles and of course one needs to consider clothing appropriate to body type. I wore capris with silk blouses in Paris last summer, but not shorts, even in the heat. My sister and I will stay in the French Quarter and usually dine casually. Are skirts and dress seen often? Shorts at museums? Birkenstocks? I do like to be comfortable.
We are both middle aged (sigh!) and in pretty good shape. Quite honestly, I would hate to leave my quiet coastal New England town and feel dowdy in the Big Easy!
All perspectives appreciated. Thanks!
Old May 29th, 2004, 01:58 PM
GoTravel

Dress for the heat.

Late June in New Orleans will be stifling hot.

For eating out at night, linen or a sundress are your best bets.

I don't think I'd wear silk shirts during the day because you may prespire.

Do bring a thin cotton sweater for indoors because no one, including the plane you ride in on, will understand how to cool a building without freezing you to death.

Old May 29th, 2004, 03:57 PM

New Orleans is one of my favorite cities and I've been there quite a few times. Dress is very casual there. Shorts would be perfectly appropriate most everywhere during the day, except at some of the nicer restaurants. On my last summer trip there (during August...REALLY hot!), I mostly wore sleeveless cotton blouses with shorts and comfortable walking shoes during the day and then a sleeveless sundress or nice summery skirt to go out to dinner in the evenings. As the previous poster stated, you might want to take a lightweight cardigan, because the AC can be downright Artic!
Old May 29th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Singletail

People who LIVE in New Orleans like to dress up when they go out to non-touristy restaurants. Plan accordingly. You'll look really great if you are stylishly dressed despite the heat and still looking very cool.

Old May 29th, 2004, 05:22 PM

Shorts will be fine; lots of tourists; very casual ... It will be very hot; dress for heat and humidity.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied.
It has been totally cold and rainy here and I can't quite imagine dressing for hot weather. Yesterday had a few hours of sunshine. I think Go Travel was most thoughtful to suggest that I might perspire. However, at this point I hope to truly sweat! Last night I slept under quilts in flannel pj's and it is June for goshsakes!