nob hill or union square hotel?

Feb 21st, 2010, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

nob hill or union square hotel?

Hello everyone. Well I'm almost done organising my trip!! I am still unsure however about accom in San Fran. We will be in this lovely city (myself, husband and 4yold daughter) in early June for 2 nights only. We have narrowed it down to King George Hotel in Union sq $103 pn or Huntington Hotel and spa in Nob Hill for $150 pn. Does anyone have any suggestions between the two please??? I would appreciate your help again. thank you so much
Feb 21st, 2010, 05:48 PM

Aren't those two hotels waaaaay different in "class"? I passed by the King George last night -- it's in an good location (better than Nob Hill, but that's my personal bias -- I don't like Nob Hill for tourists because it's, well, at the top of hill ). From the outside ithe King Geroge looks like an older, 2-3* urban hotel (this is just my impression from the outside, I have never been inside). I thought the Huntington was more upscale (?)
Feb 21st, 2010, 07:25 PM

Love the Huntington hotel!
A gorgeous 4+* hotel.
Feb 21st, 2010, 08:21 PM

Isn't the Mark Hopkins next door to the Huntington? If so, I thought "Wow next time I'm staying there!" I liked staying on Nob Hill. We walked down to Union Square and to China Town. Took the Cable Car from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf and walked back to the Nob Hill via the wharf, North Beach & China Town. SF is so very walkable.
Feb 21st, 2010, 08:47 PM

I liked staying on Nob Hill. To me, the King George location is just on the edge of dicey.
Feb 22nd, 2010, 05:42 AM

We have recently stayed at the Huntington, got a good rate, too - and loved it.

The pool and spa area of the Huntington is fantastic. We also enjoyed the bar - the bartender Ty is simply gorgeous. The Huntington has a boutique hotel atmosphere - the service is very personal, everybody will greet you, and chat with you and give tips if you ask. A very agreeable hotel.

Public rooms, pool&spa, services and bar are definitly 5* level. The rooms are 4* - still good, but not top-notch.

The location is indeed on top of Nob Hill, this means in the heart of a most agreeable neighbourhood. We enjoyed the short walk down to Chinatown and Union Square and had no problem walking back. We could have taken the cable car, but never did.

Breakfast in the Huntington was good (they offer eggs benedict with salmon), however, for dinner, we always went into town. Just round the corner is a petite little restaurant which serves a fusion of French and Asian cuisine (the chef is Asian-American and had married into a French family). It is called Rue Lepic. http://www.ruelepicsf.com/
The chef's menu is an excellent bet.

Another recommendable restaurant in walking distance is Bar Crudo. They serve oysters and sashimi with mediterranean flavours and the best seafood chowder I ever tasted. http://www.barcrudo.com/
Feb 22nd, 2010, 08:45 AM

The King George is NOT in a "dicey" neighborhood...it's closer to Union Square than the Hotel Monaco (and it's Grand Cafe), Hilton and Clift, the Curran and Geary theaters, etc. That said, we're talking "worlds apart" when discussing these two hotels -- really, I'm sure they're rarely mentioned in the same breath.
Feb 22nd, 2010, 08:45 AM

The Huntington is posh and in a very posh area - the King George not so much. If you can get the Huntington for $150, its a no brainer IMO.

The hike up/down w/ a 4 yo might be a bit much. But at only $150 -- you can afford a cab back up the hill to the hotel
Feb 22nd, 2010, 08:48 AM

Another good restaurant in the "neighborhood" of the Huntington (a few blocks) is Nob Hill Grille.
Feb 22nd, 2010, 10:10 AM

We stayed on Nob Hill during our stay in SF. We were at the Marriott brand hotel there. Can't remember the name off the top of my head, but we liked Nob Hill and walked to chinatown and took the trolley, etc.. Cabbed it home most of the time. The Huntington was up farther on the hill and was a very nice hotel. Our kids were a little older, I think around 10-12 at the time we went. SF was lots of fun. It is a nice neighborhood.
Feb 22nd, 2010, 10:19 AM

Okay it was the Stanford Court Hotel(Marriott-Renassaince). I had to look it up or it would have driven me nuts! You will like Nob Hill. Also, my parent spent a month at the Huntington Hotel about 10 years ago. My dad had just retired and they wanted to spend some time in the city. They loved it.
Feb 22nd, 2010, 10:22 AM

The Huntington Hotel is 2 blocks up California Street (away from downtown) from the Renaissance Stanford Court. It's actually in a very slightly nicer location because it's right across the street from the Leland Stanford mansion (now the Pacific-Union Club) and Huntington Park. The Stanford Court, though, is closer to the Powell Street cable car (both are on the California Street cable car line).
Feb 22nd, 2010, 11:55 AM
SAB

If it was my choice I would stay at the Huntington, it's a better hotel and across the street is Huntington Park which has a children's playground, not something you will find in Union Square.
Feb 22nd, 2010, 03:54 PM

Will the 4-year-old walk on her own, or you will have a car? The Nob Hill is really steep.

With a car, no problem, but with buses or walking - I'd go for the flat area of King George.
Feb 24th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone for your input once again! Yes I gathered from the websites that the two hotels were very different but with only $50 per night difference I thought I would put the question out there and I am glad I did. We have cancelled our booking at King George and grabbed the $150 per night in a deluxe room at the Huntington...ok it will be a walk but we will get transport if we struggle. We recently came back from a lovely apartment in Airlie Beach in northern Queensland and it was on top of a steep hill up a steep driveway and although sometimes in the heat I cursed a little, the view was magnificent and the $$ and apartment worth the effort!! Our daughter is an active littlie and we will take it easy...there is always a ride on Daddy's shoulders hehe!!
I can't wait for June to come around...everything is coming together fabulously. Thanks to all who gave their valuable experience and opinions!!
Feb 24th, 2010, 07:18 AM

Well, it sounds like you've already had a similar experience, so you should be fine at the top of Nob Hill. The hotel is lovely, the views spectacular, the neighborhood very upscale (even if not my cup of tea as a tourist). One thing you likely won't face in June in San Francisco - the heat!
Feb 24th, 2010, 09:28 AM

Good Choice. I have always wanted to stay at the Huntington. If you don't mind sharing, how did you get the $150 rate? Course I am looking at next month so perhaps the rates are different in June but they are higher now.
Feb 24th, 2010, 09:30 AM

Ronda, you're coming back? You should try LaMar yourselves this trip!
Feb 24th, 2010, 09:44 AM

I am ALWAYS looking for an excuse to go to SF. My SIL's birthday is next month and I would like to give them a gift of one night in SF to go along with their theater tickets to Wicked.
Feb 24th, 2010, 11:48 AM

>>>how did you get the $150 rate<<<

We got a similarly good rate via www.booking.com.

kdemunk, you will enjoy the Huntington! Do not miss the pool & spa!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO