Search

NO Swamp Tours

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Kelly

NO Swamp Tours

Does anyone know of a good swamp tour that doesn' t cost $30? I've only found one less, it was New Orleans Swamp Tours for $18. However, we're staying in the Quarter and I'm sure a cab to get there will add up too. Has anyone been on this one?

Thanks for the help.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 06:49 AM
X

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 12:47 PM
X

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Alan

Sorry, Kelly, I don't know of any swamp tour that will suit your budget, but I responded anyway with the exhortation that this time you "blow" the budget and take the BEST swamp tour. The cheap ones put thirty people on a power craft and race them through the swamp with engines roaring, ensuring that there isn't a wild creature to be seen for miles, unless one happens to be totally deaf and blind. Dennis Holmberg, at Slidell, however, has a canoe and will take about five or six people out for a couple of hours, and you can get up close to alligators and snakes, and the only sound is your camera shutter clicking. I don't know what he charges nowadays, but I do know that it's less than the trip is worth, and getting to Slidell isn't all that hard, as there is a Greyhound Bus that leaves New Orleans around 9 each morning. If you don't want to travel on the bus, Dennis will send a pick-up car for you, but, of course, that will add to your costs for the day. The one agent in New Orleans which seems to know about Dennis is in the street heading away from the river, right near Cafe Du Monde... it's only about half a block from the cafe, with the church on your left. The brochure refers to him as "Mr Denny".

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 04:28 PM
betty

Hi !
We took the mother of all swamp tours! don't worry about money, really your on vacation. this one includes lunch at a darling elderly lady's house. she grew up on the swamp and is full of stories. The company that runs it is called Fun Day Swamp Tours. And yes, it will be a fun day for you!

They will pick you up in a shuttle and bring you back to your hotel. this is included in the price. I don't remember the price but we felt it was fair. You might try findng these guys on line.

I know that you don't know me, but we are very jaded and fussy, and honestly Fun Day Swamp Tour was VERY VERY cool and very fun!

Enjoy yourself!!!!!!!!
Betty

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 08:36 PM
Raven

Hi,
I was planning a New Orleans trip for Feb that fell through, but I did bookmark these folks at the time: http://www.honeyislandswamp.com/histour.html
It's $20 for the tour and they offer transportation from the Quarter for $20 adult/$10 children. Don't know your budget or how many or in your party, but in my research this was the cheapest, aside from the one you mentioned.
Have you considered renting a compact car for the day? Depending when you are going, a few car companies have rates under $25 per day. It may be the cheapest bet for you and allow you a little more exploring outside the Quarter.
Good luck!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:14 AM
Kelly

Thanks, guys. We aren't that worried about a budget, but it just seemed a little expensive considering how many people do this in a day and how much that adds up to be for them. But, that's the breaks!

We would've rented a car, like Raven said, but we're both under 25 and would have to pay basically double the price for the day just in extra insurances!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:03 AM
Raven

Kelly-
You're right, those underage fees add up. Just so you know, for future reference, if you have a membership to BJ's Wholesale Club (or you can get one for $40 per year, which would cover you both) Dollar will wave the under age fees and you can also apply coupons for more discounts and upgrades. Renting for 1 day, it's not worth it, but if you need to rent one somewhere for a few days, it pays for itself right away. They are the only car company I have found to do that, however when I looked into renting from N.O., they were also the most expensive company there. Big surprise to me since I've used them in Vegas twice and found them to be cheapest both times.
And yes, those swamp tours are a total rip off, just one of those things you have to decide, how badly do I want this? I personally would love to do it and would not leave Louisiana again without having gone, so yes, I'll be jumping head first into the tourist trap next time I'm down there & will leave the locals laughing at making 20 bucks off the city girl just for showing her a gator up close. ;-)
-Raven