No Operas at the MET

Old Jan 7th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Operas at the MET

I just noticed that there are no opera performances at the Met for over 2 weeks later this months.

Does anybody know why the schedule is empty?
Something else going on there??
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 10:03 AM
GoTravel

Schedule looks fine to me. Performances every Saturday night through May.

Old Jan 8th, 2005, 01:51 PM

They're taking a planned little over 2-week break during January (they extended the schedule to go a little longer in May.) They'll be working on sets and rehearsing, but will not have any alternate performances in the Opera's place. However, the Met Opera will be performing twice (I think) at Carnegie Hall during that time.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 02:39 PM

The break has been planned for a couple of years, in order to give the orchestra some rest time mid-season. The theater is "dark" from 1/9 until 1/26, dark on Thursday 1/27, back on schedule on Friday 1/28 through May 21
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 02:42 PM

There will be three concerts during that time at Carnegie, on 1/9, 1/23, and 1/30, all at 3:00
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 04:17 PM

Oops, as cyberUK detailed, I meant to write the Met ORCHESTRA, not Opera, in my reference to concerts at Carnegie Hall.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 09:21 PM

I was curious because I got a call wanting money and the caller said that for the first time the Met Stage was totally dark for 2 weeks in January.

I looked up the schedule and sure enough, it was empty for about 16 days.
I am glad to know that it was planned.

Now I wonder who called me? I know the Met needs money; it always does, but to solicit a contribution by inferring that the Met was shut because it was out of money is a little strange.

I looked at the Met site, but there was nothing I found that explained the empty blocks in the schedule.

The operas end on Jan 8 after The Tales of Hoffman and resume on the evening the 26th with
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 09:27 PM

I was curious about the Met schedule as well, because I got a call soliciting money for the Met. The caller said that for the first time the Met Stage was totally dark for 2 weeks in January.
Her line sounded to me like the Met was closed because of a funding shortage, hence the call.

I looked up the Met schedule and sure enough, it was empty for about 16 days in January.

I am glad to know now that vacation period was planned.

Now I wonder who called me? I know the Met needs money; it always does, but to solicit a contribution by inferring that the Met was shut because it was low on money is a little strange.

I looked at the Met site, but there was nothing I found that explained the empty blocks in the schedule. So thanks for clearing up my question.

I had not planned on being in New York at that time, so I am not personally affected at all. I was mostly curious, and some of my curiosity will continue!!
Who called me for money? (I did not give any this time!!)
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 09:38 PM

They do not solicit by phone unless you are a subsciber.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 01:19 AM

Actually, the Met IS shutting down because of funding issues. Business is just not very good. If they're doing excellent business, they will not be shutting down any time at all. So, the phone agent who calls is not really lying.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 08:56 AM

The MET has floated this idea of a mid-season break in performances (not in rehearsals, etc.) for years. But, I do think it was the financial impact of 9/11 and its aftermath that pushed them to actually do it. Late January/early February is a down time for ticket sales, especially tourist sales. By taking the short break and extending their season into May, they hope to fix the problem. It is no secret that the MET, along with many NYC theaters, had come to depend upon out-of-towners and tour groups to keep the box office percentages above a 90% average. While the numbers have improved since 9/11, they haven't bounced back to where they need to be for all performances. Still, this has forced the MET to be more flexible with respect to ticket sales, and that's a good thing for those of us who buy those tickets! Also, the MET Guild may still be giving tours of the MET during the "down time," so check it out. It's a fascinating tour, even for non-opera types.