Reload this Page >

No accomodation in Yosemite - Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 1998, 04:43 AM
M.Joseph

Accomodations in Yosemite are all fully booked in late September (5 nights). What are the alternatives?

Old Jul 19th, 1998, 06:41 AM
Tamara

Try Fish Camp which is about 2 miles from the South Gate. Here's what's listed in AAA
Apple Tree Inn (209)683-5111
The Narrow Gauge Inn** (209)683-7720
Owl's Nest* (209) 683-3484
Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite**** (209) 683-6555

There's Also Oakhurst which is about an hour away. If you would like more info on Oakhurst, let me know. Bass Lake is another alternative.

Old Jul 19th, 1998, 07:56 AM
YosemiteSam

Oakhurst is much closer than an hour away. It is only about 15 miles from the south entrance. Fresno is about an hour away. What you need to do is try Oakhurst, Mariposa, etc. and keep working out until you find something. I would NOT recommend Fresno even though you will have no problem getting inexpensive accomodations there. If money is no object, try the Tenaya Lodge which is only 2 miles from the south gate. We have stayed there. It is a Marriott and very pricey so they usually have a vacancy. I have some telephone numbers that you can call for accomodations near the park.

Yosemite Motels - (800) 321-5621

Lodging Information Mariposa - (209) 966-2456

Lodging Information Coulterville - (209) 878-3074

Free Travel Guide - (800) 208-2434

Yosemite Area Traveler Information - (900) 454-9673 www.yosemite.com

Old Jul 19th, 1998, 10:47 AM
Paul Rabe

Don't forget camping! We showed up at the Wawona entrance of Yosemite AFTER DARK in August, and found a national forest campsite a few miles away with several empty spots. NF campsites are not the height of luxury (actually, this had pit toilets and one faucet for the whole campground), but this should give an example of how being willing to camp out gives you incredible flexibility on where you stay.

Old Jul 19th, 1998, 06:29 PM
Tamara

Yosemite Sam is correct. Oakhurst is only about 15 minutes from the Wawona gate. There is still quite a drive from the gate (close to a half hour) to get to the Yosemite Valley Floor. That is what I was referring to. Sorry about the confusion.

Old Jul 19th, 1998, 07:12 PM
Kristin

We didn't have reservations last Aug.'97.The campgrounds were full, and we had never been to Yosemite. So...we were driving down from Lake Tahoe and we stayed outside of the west entrance of the park, in the town of El Portal. There are 2 Triple A motels there, Cedar Lodge, and the Yosemite View Lodge-- not luxurious, but OK. I think it took approx. 45 min. to get from the motel to the Arch Rock (west)entrance. Really not a bad drive since the alternative was no accommodations at all! Then on our way out of the park we took the
Tioga Pass (gorgeous by the way) so we exited on the east end and stayed at the Best Western Lake View, (also in the Triple A book)in the town of Lee Vining (weird name, interesting little town) Be sure and drive south of Lee Vining about 10 min. and see the "tufas", (strange eerie calcium-carbonate rock towers created by underwater streams combining with the salt in Mono Lake. Very ethereal, you feel like you're walking on another planet!!
I'm not sure if the Tioga Pass road is open in September so be sure and check with park officials first. The Tioga Pass Road took approx. 1 1/2 hrs.
to drive straight through,but you'll want to stop many times along the way to hike, gawk, etc. Anyway, as I said, we did this loop from Lake Tahoe, but the lodging worked for us entering from the west, and exiting out of the east. Hope this helped, and good luck--we loved Yosemite--be sure and get off of the beaten track and hike, hike, hike!!!

Old Jul 20th, 1998, 01:51 PM
andrea

I would stay at the Tenaya! Fabulous place! Look no further! No longer a Marriott, I think.
Andrea

Old Jul 20th, 1998, 07:53 PM
Dayle

The Tioga Pass is open in September. It closes in winter depending on snowfall and opens late spring, again depending on snowfall. See the sights in the Valley and then head up high -- it's not as crowded and there are lots of wonderful hikes. If you're in very good condition, I recommend hiking to Cloud's Rest. At 11,000 ft. elevation, you look DOWN on Half Dome and all the rest of the valley, spectacular!!

Old Jul 21st, 1998, 06:17 AM
Louis Dameson

Keep calling the reservation number for Yosemite about once a week and then about every day the last two weeks before you leave on your trip. You have a good chance of finding some space in the valley. I have alway found something within two weeks of a planned trip even though Yosemite had been fully booked a month earlier. Of course get space near the park with a reasonable cancellation policy in the event space shows up in the valley.

Old Jul 21st, 1998, 07:53 AM
JR

Try calling some of the privately owned vacation rentals: Scenic Wonders, Four Seasons, Yosemite West, etc., They are in the park, about 15 min. from the valley floor and are nice. Prices range anywhere from about $90 to $200+ per night. Each of the units has a kitchen and many other extras.

Old Jul 21st, 1998, 02:37 PM
kam

Good advice from Yosemite Sam, but also keep calling that number for the park itself right up to the day you leave. People around here book a year ahead and then many find they have to cancel---you might get lucky! On our Bay area radio yesterday, they were advertizing availability of rooms around the park---Oakhurst and Mariposa would be my first choices. It's also where you'll find Erna's Elderberry House restaurant with fantastic brunch on Sunday!! Try the Miners Inn in Mariposa--FAX 209-966-2343 But, hurry!!

Old Jul 26th, 1998, 05:01 AM
M.Joseph

Thank you all very much for the advise. I am also spending a few nights in the Mammoth Lakes area. My next question is, What are the chances of the Tioga Pass being closed in the last week of Sept. If it happens, what is the alternative route to Yosemite from there. Thank you.

Old Jul 26th, 1998, 05:55 AM
YosemiteSam

The chances of Tioga pass being closed in late September are pretty slim. Califonria is still in the dry season at that time and the weather is still pretty warm. However exceptions can happen. There is no alternative from Mammoth that is very convenient. You have to either go north or south and then cross over the mountains.

Old Jul 26th, 1998, 04:34 PM
Lisa

We stayed at Yosemite West Cottages (209)642-2211-- 2 yrs ago. GREAT LOCATION!! Also may want to try Yosemite West Condos (209)454-2033. This area is accessible only via park roads and 1/2way between Yosemite Valley and Wawona. Good Luck!!