NJ Beaches - Bathrooms?

Jul 26th, 2004, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

NJ Beaches - Bathrooms?

I am making my first day-trip to a NJ beach from Northern NJ. Heard many good things about Spring Lake but also heard there are no public bathrooms. I tried but there isn't much info on the web about whether each beach has public restrooms or not (does bath houses mean public restrooms?).

I am interested in Monmouth County beaches which are a closer drive from Northern NJ. My criteria is basic - clean beach for the toddler, close drive from Northern NJ, public restrooms and some sites when done with the beach. I heard Point Pleasant has a boardwalk with the food, stores, etc - so it probably has public restrooms. Any other places? Thanks much.
Jul 26th, 2004, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Two more things to add to the criteria. Beach chair and umbrella rentals would be a plus but not absolutely required.

Parking close to the beach - carry toddler and infant with all related baggage!
Jul 26th, 2004, 05:03 AM

Some towns are more "day trip" friendly than others. The one's that aren't, usually try and disuade day trippers by offering few facilities and by limiting things you can bring onto the beach (which can mean no coolers/cans/bottles/radios.)

Belmar has bathroom facilities near 5/6th Street (though I forget the exact cross-street) and that section might be the best for someone with a child. There are several places for food just across Ocean Avenue. By stores, unless you mean a few food shops and a few places that sell beach gear, most of the shops in Belmar are several blocks west of the beach.

Pt. Pleasant is the most day trip friendly spot in Monmouth County. But, that means it usually crowded. The Boardwalk has rides and bathroom facilties. The issue is parking so I'd suggest you either get their early and just pay the day rate (which could be at least $20) or bring plenty of quarters and hope for metered spot.

If you are looking for all the criteria you listed, then avoid Spring Lake, Sea Girt and Bay Head. They generally have few facilities for visitors and/or no real places for food within a few blocks of the beach.
Jul 26th, 2004, 05:23 AM

Spring Lake does have restrooms at either pavilion. I prefer the south end. No rental of chairs or umbrellas. You can usually park a block or 2 from the beach which is free (parking that is) unlike Belmar. I think a daily beach pass costs 7.oo a day per person and young children are free. There are food stands also at either pavilion. Spring Lake is a beautiful town and beach is nice. Have fun.
Jul 26th, 2004, 05:56 AM

Another good beach town is Manasquan, which is right next to Point Pleasant, but is less 'touristy'. I believe you can buy daily beach passes, and there are public parking lots and restrooms. There are a handful of amusements, restaurants, etc. and a very nice beach.
Jul 26th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all-will report back on selection.
Jul 27th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

I chose Point Pleasant yesterday and we had a great day. The temps were higher than I expected but the surf was rough so they only allowed people to go ankle deep. Indeed, bathroom facilities are right there. We parked in a lot a block away for $10 instead of using meters and a lot of quarters. There was food right on the boardwalk and most importantly, we were able to rent umbrellas right on the beach for $7. Again, this was important because we have an infant who we do not want get sunburned. With two kids, I was more worried about their sun protection than I was with protecting myself. That being said, I put on lotion but forgot about my back and got a little sunburned there. It only took us about an hour and a half from Northern NJ and once my infant son feel asleep, we had about 15 minutes for ourselves!

It worked out real well - I could only imagine how crowded it would be on a weekeend.

Search this Thread