Search

Nice hotels or guest houses in New Orleans near MG parade route

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice hotels or guest houses in New Orleans near MG parade route

Hi all

Planning a trip with friends to NOLA over Mardi Gras. Any recos on nice hotels or B&Bs near the parade route - I'm told St. Charles/Jackson street areas - or at least the garden district?

thanks...
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 10:46 AM
jgarvey

We love to stay at the Maison St. Charles, very near Lee Circle on St. Charles. Charming hotel comprised of several Creole-style buildings each with its own little fountain/patio area, a small pool, nice little bar, and connected to fabulous French-style bakery restaurant (La Madeleine), which may still not be opened for business. When we were there in November, it was still being renovated.The buildings and rooms are far enough away from St. Charles that they would still be quiet during the craziness of Mardi Gras. Is this your first Mardi Gras? If so, have a great time. I am a N.O. native and so is my husband. If you have any more questions before your trip, ask away. I love to talk about New Orleans.

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Dan

Grand Victorian, a beautiful B&B on St. Charles Ave at Washington, a few blocks from Commander's Palace!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 08:35 PM

Stay in a hotel that is directly on the parade route for a few reasons: first, you then have an official "spot" on a balcony or wrought-iron fenced in yard which is free of other tourists (except the ones staying at your hotel), second you then have a bathroom (if your hotel is far away you are SOL...I've seen people get arrested for going in public) and of course on the parade route is where all the fun is. This way you can BBQ etc. in the front yard of the hotel and will have better spots from which to grab beads and watch the parades. So, stay DIRECTLY on St. Charles Ave in the Garden District, Lee Circle, or in certain parts of the French Quarter (I'm sure you can look the route up online). It depends what type of experience you're after but I like watching the parades in the Uptown or Garden District area--the French Quarter is too crowded and not as much fun for parades (but better for partying). I'd stay here:
http://www.thecolumns.com/
They have a ginormous porch and used to have lots of happy hours w/great free food. I've heard they don't have tv's in their hotels rooms (or at least used to not) so if this is important to you you should check on this.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 09:09 PM

Saw your post...

Just had to add that I went to New Orleans for several days with my family for Christmas, and it was absolutely spectacular. The city is wonderful again, back on its feet, but is STARVING for tourists. Thanks for doing your part to help.

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 06:14 AM

I don't think the Columns Hotel is directly on the parade route but is on St. Charles Avenue and a few blocks from Napoleon Avenue where lots of parade start.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 10:18 AM
jgarvey

Flygirl, don't forget to check out the Maison St. Charles, as I mentioned on an earlier post. You will not be standing on a balcony, but you will definitely be directly on the parade route. Maybe you checked it out when you were down there for Christmas? If so, let me know.

Best bonus about having your rooms right there--your own bathroom!! One of our favorite joke songs in New Orleans is, "Where ya gonna pee on Mardi Gras day?". Some people pay a nearby bar or restaurant and have their hands stamped as proof for the privilege. Oooh, not very clean!

Urban legend: a med student once had himself hooked up to a catheter so he wouldn't have to worry about a "place to pee on Mardi Gras Day." jg

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 10:56 AM

Just to clarify what DownSouth meant about the Columns not being on the parade route. If you haven't been on St. Charles Ave. before, It's a boulevard kind of street with the lanes separated by the grassy area where the streetcar tracks are (the neutral ground). The parade runs down one side of St. Charles Ave. (towards downtown) so technically, the Columns, the Grand Victorian and the Maison St. Charles aren't on the parade route exactly but are across the street. The only hotel I can think of offhand that is right on the parade route is the Hampton Inn across the street from the Columns (this is a pretty nice Hampton Inn, you could consider it also). My apartment used to be directly behind the Grand Victorian so I can vouch for it as a nice place. I don't know if they still do it but the Travel Channel used that as a base for their MG coverage. We benefitted because the bands would always play and the floats would throw generously as the cameras rolled.