Reload this Page >

Nice Hotel Near Sites in D.C.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:48 AM
Faith

Ny husband and I are taking our 10 yr old son on a 3-day trip over Memorial Day weekend to D.C. Can anyone recommend a nice, well-located hotel near the mall, capital, memorials, etc?

I've got $159/night and $169/night quotes respectively at the Henley Pk Hotel and Hotel George. I don't mind splurging a bit for something special - esp. if there's a pool. We won't have a car, so good Metro access or walkability (?) would be key.

Thanks

Faith

Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:53 AM
Louise

I'm not sure when your Memorial Day is, so this reply might be too late. Sorry.

If you're trying to operate within a budget and feel you're not going to get what you're looking for regarding hotel accommodation, have you tried searching through Priceline (www.priceline.com for the States; www.priceline.co.uk for the UK)? (Tip - decide how much you're willing to pay for a room per night, use that as your "bidding price" but increase the "standard" of hotel you're looking for. You'll be amazed what you get for your money.

I'm from the UK. My partner and I have visited the USA on 3 occasions now, each time we've used Priceline to book a top-class hotel, for between $60-$90 (usual hotel room price would have been from $90-$280). We've stayed in the Sheritan Hotel - Long Beach (that was our ultimate bargain, $60 for a room that should have been $280), Marriott Hotel - Santa Monica and most recently the Hilton Towers - Washington DC. All extremely nice hotels and exceptional value for the price we paid!

Our hotel in Washington was an hour's walk from Capitol Hill, museums, etc and whilst we didn't use the Metro (we wanted to walk and take in the sights), I understand that the Metro is relatively easy to use, so don't feel you have to stay in a hotel near to where you're wanting to visit. Our one complaint was ... the hotel pool was out of action. They only had an outdoor pool and apparently, in the Washington area, all the major hotels only open their pools from May to September. Great! There was a heatwave you know

Anyway, hope you enjoy yourself; I did.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:53 AM
mimi

We go to Washington D.C. often and have liked the River Inn at Foggy Botton near George Washington campus. The room has a kitchenette which is great to put snacks in especially since it is near a seven eleven. The location is very safe and we walk all over. It is near the metro; near Watergate; and a nice long walk to all the attractions.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 10:57 AM
Ann

I don't know where the Henley is located. The George is nice, but you might be better off at the JW Marriott. It's well located to do all of the touristy stuff, and you're close to the metro.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 11:03 AM
Ellen

For good rates, try Capitol Reservations at www.washingtondchotels.com

Old May 3rd, 2002, 05:04 AM
Faith

Thanks to all who responded. I'd like to book a room in downtown D.C., and I'll try the travel sites recommended, but am still open to suggestions.

Faith

Old May 3rd, 2002, 05:17 AM
Deb

The Hotel George is a very nice boutique hotel located near Union Station (a metro stop) and a few blocks from the Capitol. $169/night sounds like an excellent rate for that hotel. Also nice and in the same area are the Phoenix Park, Washington Court, and Hyatt Regency on Capitol Hill, although the Henley and George may have more character.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 05:56 AM
dave

Faith,

No offense, but try typing hotels and selecting Washington, DC from the box. There have been hundereds of post about this,and I think people might be a little burned out on talking about it.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 06:02 AM
U

dave, thank you for trying to represent the whole board but you never know when something new and unique has opened in DC, or if someone just got back from DC and has a new updated opinion of a hotel so please ask away Faith and others.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 06:28 AM
dave

Just a little advice to Faith, thats all. I did a search a search on hotels in Washington and came up with at least 300 matches on hotels (before I gave up). That is more than enough information on forming an opinon about a hotel. Someone who is new to the site may not know/understand the search feature which a valuable resource in trip planning and that is what I was communicating to Faith.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 07:15 AM
Ruth

I understand from friends who have stayed there that the Henley has small rooms. It's also not where I'd feed extremely comfortable walking at night. The George may also have small rooms (I don't know) as it is an old apartment building that has been renovated into the hotel. It is close to the Union Station metro and a more comfortable feeling walk to/from the metro at night. Can't go wrong with the JW Marriott for rooms and location.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 07:36 AM
U

Dave, 300?!? I guess it would be easier to ask the question versus going through the entire search results? Rants and Raves may be easier for starting a background search?
I apologize for any misunderstanding.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 09:17 AM
Rachael

JW Marriott has an indoor pool and is only a couple blocks from the metro. The Marriott Metro Center also has an indoor pool and is about a half block walk from the metro.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 09:22 AM
elle

I stayed at the Hotel George earlier this week and highly recommend it, especially at the rate you've been quoted, which is awesome (we paid $234 for a double with two beds and a sofa--a rather large room with large bathroom). The restaurant was terrific, too.

Old May 6th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Nikki

Hi - I've noticed one thing - people did NOT recommend hotels near the places you'd like to visit. I work in downtown DC and for good hotels near the THE sights I would recommend a hotel close to the MALL (the areafrom the Capitol all the way down to the Lincoln Monument and it takes in the Smithsonians, the monument and perhaps 80% of what you'd like to see. To be close by that I would recommend the JWMarriott - it's close to 12th and Penn which puts it almost in the mid-section of the MALL or The Holiday Inn downtown - it's close to 6th and Independence and the Hyatt on New Jersey - which is close to Union Station and the Capitol. I'm sure that you can find some good rates searching the sites so - for what it's worth from working here for years that would be my picks. Good luck on rates - enjoy your stay - we have a truly great capitol city!!!

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Faith

Thx Nikki-

Thx - yours seems like good advice. I've found a $129 rate at the JW Marriot, which is better located than my first two picks, has a pool, and is a bit more reasonable. Ley me know if you have any other good advice.

Thx for your time.

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Beverly

Last year my husband and I went to DC and stayed at the Hotel George. It was wonderful! It is ideally situated across the street from the train station and the subway...great food on the cheap in the Food Court. And, The Dubliner (a great Irish Pub) is around the corner from the Hotel George. There is live entertainment nightly at this pub and you can even dine outside. We were within walking distance of many attractions, the subway was across the street AND cabs were always available. We walked to the Museum of Natural History one evening and then walked to the sculpture Garden. It was the ultimate location!

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:47 AM
wondering

Faith,
How are you getting these great rates? Thru an internet site, or calling directly?

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Brenda

room with 2 double beds. It is within walking distance of the Metro Train, so we can leave out can there and not have to worry about parking.
My nephew tells me is will be a good choice. I return from DC on the 13th and will let you know how I found the motel.

Old May 6th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Barb

I'm also heading for Washington DC. I have been looking at Expedia.com. They seems to have some supergood hotel rates. (Hyatt Regency for $99)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -