Search

Niagara in winter

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Niagara in winter

Hi everybody,

We are planning to visit Niagara Falls during the new year. We'll be driving from Long Island, New York and visit both the american and the canadian side.
I'm not sure about the winter driving conditions. Do I need to have special winter accessories like snow chain etc. We have a regular sedan. Is a 4WD vehicle necessary ? Please advise.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 07:11 AM

You will not need chains or AWD. I don't know if you've planned out the route, but the New York Thruway is slightly longer and mostly flat, and is very well salted and ploughed. You also need to pay toll. Going through PA is shorter, and no toll, but if it's snowing or just snowed, avoid it.

What kind of car do you drive? You'll be okay if your tires are the "all-season" type, with the letters "M+S" (mud-and-snow) on it. Some performance cars come in "summer tires", and those are extremely dangerous on icy/snowy roads.

And the best advice I can give you is that if it's snowing hard, get off the highway and wait it out. The roads will be plowed after the snow stops, and you'll be much safer waiting. Find a restaurant and enjoy the coffee. Do not risk it.

So, again, my advices are:
- check your tires
- use the NY Thruway
- wait out snowstorms

And also, keep some blankets, food and water in the car in case you get stuck. Keep the gas tank relatively full so that you can keep in running with heat, if stuck.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 08:45 AM

I've managed to live in upstate new york for most of my life without 4WD. I use all season tires. You may not drive in Canada with studs in your tires (I haven't seen them in ages, but studs were little studs which were imbedded in tires to get added grip in the winter). If the weather is bad, get off the road, or if you must continue driving, drive slowly. during the winter, I always keep a couple of snow brushes/ice scrapers in my car, along with a blanket, some candles, matches, extra hats, gloves, scarves, even boots, bottled water, and a box of granola bars in the event of a problem.
Niagara Falls is beautiful during the winter. Many years we do not have snow at that time of the year, but even if it's just cold, there's beautiful ice formations to view. You will enjoy your visit. Try to make a stop to Niagara on the Lake while you're here, and also a trip into Buffalo.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 08:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It's very difficult to predict the weather conditions in western New York. Most times you will not need chains or a 4WD vehicle. I would advise that you take the Thruway as that is well-maintained and plowed and has frequent service stations (as the previous poster said). However, you should definitely keep an eye on the weather in the days leading up to your trip. There may not be a big general storm around but the area from about Utica to Buffalo is notorious for lake effect snows. WHen these come, they can be very dangerous to drive through. In fact, it is not too uncommon for parts of the Thruway to be closed at times. Definitely check the weather channel prior to your departure. Also, the Thruway has an 800 number that you can call and get updated weather conditions for the entire length of the Thruway (1-800-Thruway).
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

thanks a lot guys for the info. Yes I saw some pictures of the falls during the winter and they were lovely.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 02:56 PM
cd

Rolok
Just a comment. We've been to Niagara Falls 4 times and only the 4th time in NOvember did we visit the American side. We were amazed. Drive to Goat Island and take the walks down to the Falls. You will be just a few feet from the Falls and it is terrific!
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 06:25 AM

Definitely have snow tires on your car. And as someone else suggested, check the weather right up to the time you leave. If they're talking major storms, reschedule your trip. The weather can be anything...from blue skies and dry roads to downright blizzards.

I just did a quick check of JetBlue.com. They have fares of $49 each way between NY and Buffalo. Maybe it's an option for you!

Have a great time.