NH? VT? MA? Coastal lodging...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help Fodorites! We've got flights into Manchester NH @ the end of August, and want to spend a week on the coast. Originally when I booked these flights, I'd thought we would spend a week in the Woodstock VT area, and then maybe explore the northern parts of VT.....but we're now thinking we'd rather be on or near the ocean. In just the last couple of years we've explored the Maine coast as well as Cape Cod....loved both trips. Those trips included lots of driving and day-trips which we enjoyed, but this time we're thinking we'd like to find a place very near or on the ocean (less than $200 a night??? wishful thinking??) and maybe just plant ourselves there with not as much driving/exploring each day. Does anyone have any favorite towns/lodging places to suggest? either southern Maine, or on the coasts of New Hampshire or northern Mass? Thanks much! Colette
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 10:35 AM

This one is my favorite: http://www.yorkharborinn.com/
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Hubster! Thanks for the speedy info! Just checked the website and it looks great.....a definite possibility (if it has any openings!) Thank you!
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 11:16 AM

If you don't want to drive as far, consider Lake Winnepesaukee. Have a look at the Bayside Inn in Alton Bay. There's plenty to see and do in the area, more within short drives. Highly recommend an afternoon or dinner cruise on the Mount Washington.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 12:36 PM

York Harbor Inn is a great location. We have a condo about a mile from there...sorry, already booked then. Rivers By The Sea in York has nice weekly rentals in that area, a great idea for a base to travel from. August is in season for that area so not sure about the costs at the inn but knew they were pricey when our nephew got married and had their reception there last August.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 12:36 PM

Less than $2oo/night is going to be hard to find...if you can find a place at all. The NH beach rentals book up very fast and very early.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 12:37 PM

From Alton Bay, Woodstock could be a day trip. You could take it easy on the lake or still do some day trips. I know we tend to drive around too much when we're on vacation. If we are in a great location (i.e. great swimming) we will do lazy days alternating with drive around/explore days.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice! I've booked the York Harbor Inn for 2 nights, and also the Trellis House in Ogunquit. None are right ON the water.....'cus my budget wouldn't let me. Thanks again for your time. Colette
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 08:53 AM

Colette - Have a great time! Be sure to ask about the cliff walk and walk it both ways. One way goes to the harbor area and Wiggly Bridge, the other ends along a stretch of beautiful mansions. I walk it every morning I am there in York Harbor (yawk haba). Great clam rolls and lobster rolls at Maude Hutchins.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thurstonbb....thanks for the tips...... you've been copied and pasted! I'm always on the lookout for a good lobster roll...... perhaps I'll step out of my box this trip and risk a clam roll!! (thx also for the pronunciation guide) Colette
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 01:25 PM

I always treat myself once or twice a year to a clam roll. There's was just so tasty, not greasy and not all bready. It is a little hole in the wall just down from where you are staying at the place that does the clam bakes - Foster's, but to the left of the main door in the same building.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 01:37 PM

Hey Colette,

You've already received some great suggestions but i thought I would throw in my suggestion for the Ocean Walk motel in Old Orchard, Maine, right next to Pine Point which is the quieter and more private side of the beach. Its not too far from the center of Old Orchard which has an amusement park, a pier, lost of shops, fast food joints etc and is close to some other cute spots such as Saco, Biddeford, Portland, S. Portland etc.
The Ocean Walk is right on the water and has rooms under 200$, I stayed there a few years back and enjoyed it very much.

Good Luck!!

Layla
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 01:39 PM

oops.....just realized you already booked!! Sorry!!

Layla
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Layla....I may still be looking for one more night's lodging.....so I'll check it out. Thanks much!
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Thurstonbb.......I'm drooling already.....sometimes those hole-in-the-walls are the best! Thx again.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 12:36 AM

Just wondering why this is posted under MONTANA?

In any event, good luck with York Harbor Inn. We used to stay there, but have found recently that, for the same money, you may get a GREAT room or a rather CRUMMY one! Don't be afraid to request a change of room when you arrive if you get the latter!

We now prefer the Chapman Cottage, down the road, for lovely, luxurious accommodations, also under $200.

Good luck!
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 12:37 AM

Whoops - I see it was my error that I found this under MONTANA! Sorry about that!
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 08:11 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
RetiredVermonter: the OP posted this under EVERY state. Apparently she scrolled down and highlighted them all before posting. So not just Montana - but clicking on California and all the others will also bring up this thread . . . .
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 05:14 AM

Although your vacay is long over, I want to put in a plug for our very favorite place in York: http://www.docksidegq.com/accommodat...modations.html
The Dockside Guest Quarters is on its own little private island, out of the way of the main loop of traffic but still a nice walk to the village and beach.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 05:27 AM

So why is this posted under ARIZONA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -