Reload this Page >

NewYork-Carriage Ride Through Central Park

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 04:40 PM
Aly

Planning a trip for 5 ladies to NY 11/29-12/3. Going to the Rockettes Christmas Spectacular followed by lunch at Tavern on the Green 11/30. Would love more details regarding carriage rides through Central Park. Pricing. How to go about it? How many people per carriage? Etc.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 04:56 PM
OOOO

Aly,

I was just in NYC over Thanksgiving! Planned to do a carriage ride, but I've got to tell you........the stench of horse manure was overwhelming.

Not just near the horses either. Here we are walking down Fifth Ave., a high class area, and it reeks of manure. Right by the Plaza Hotel, it reeked!!

It was awful; I couldn't imagine it in hot weather!

As far as your question, I think the costs was about $50. I would think most carriages hold four or five people.

I decided to save my money and spend it elsewhere!

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 04:58 PM
susie

You might be squished with 5 ladies, maybe take two. All you do is walk up to the carriages that are lined up. No tickets necessary. If I remember correctly, it's $20-$25 for a 15 min or so ride. It would be lovely in December!

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 05:25 PM
michelle

To the person that wrote re: horse manure, they don't carry it along with them when taking the carriage through the park, when they are standing in one spot-as in the place they wait for fares, they might leave some, but the drivers have to clean that up, it never smells that bad..maybe your sense of smell is a little too acute.ALY- 5 might be squished, they usually hold 4 comfortably..sqeeze in the skinniest You go across the circle in front of the Plaza Hotel at the entrance to Central Park, you will see the horses and carriages standing there,the drivers usually wear top hats..they are all nice and the rides are really special..Have Fun!

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 09:06 PM
steve

It's $34- for half an hour.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 12:18 AM
gabby

Hi Aly,
I just got back from NYC, two days ago. I took the carriage ride in Central Park.

Fodor's quoted $34.00 a half hour and $10.00 each quarter hour there after.

It 'actually' costs $34.00 for approx. 20 minute ride along a designated path.
With no options to extend the ride for additional monies.

This was the rule of thumb the driver gave me, he said that is their common business practice during the daytime hours.

He stated that the longer rides and additional times are really for the nights as the drivers can go on the streets etc. at that time.

He also said the maximum number of riders is four. So you could separate your party of five into two carriages and follow eachother closely through the park.

I enjoyed the ride although breif and would advise it.

I also think it's important to be respectful of the horses and their health. Riding in late fall or winter is far less effort and or work for them.

I by-assed the carriage rides in New Orleans as they don't have any regulations on horse care/health. It was extremely hot even at Mardi Grais this past year and some of the horses were actually foaming at the mouth.

Something to consider?

Have fun!