Newport vs Laguna Beach for 1 day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2019, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to spend 1night with 2 friends and am trying to choose between Laguna and Newport. I know there is alot to do in Newport but wonder if Laguna may be more relaxing since it is just 1 night? My friends have never been to either. Would Laguna be too boring?

Last edited by wordsmith1; Dec 13th, 2019 at 04:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 04:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When?

Where would you be coming from and where would you be heading to next?
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

coming to and from Palm Springs
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 06:57 AM

There is not necessarily "more to do" in Newport Beach versus Laguna Beach, it depends on your interests and season of your visit. Laguna has traditionally been an artist enclave, and I have enjoyed seeing the Pageant of the Masters and visiting the Sawdust Festival, but those are traditionally summer activities. Otherwise, Laguna is great for cutesy shops and art galleries, and you can stroll along the nice beach. That sounds like enough for one night, but the drawback is the hotel situation. They would be higher than Newport.

In Newport Beach, you can look at tidepools, or perhaps visit Balboa Island. If you stay at the Marriott in Fashion Island, you can walk across the street to Fashion Island. The shops are the usual, but the Barnes and Noble is nice, and so the the dog watching. However, the shopper is better at South Coast Plaza.

What would I do? I'd stay in Laguna Beach, and if I have sufficient time, I would drive up to the Balboa Island area in the late afternoon, park the car, stroll around, and take the ferry over the the Island, and maybe have dinner in the area. That way, you can see both areas.
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 07:25 AM

Hard to say what is boring. It depends on what you and your friends are interested in. If it's barhopping, then Newport. But I like the beach at Laguna better and there are small-scale boutiquey shops and galleries to look at.
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 07:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As CaliforniaLady says, it depends on your interests. I would probably enjoy San Juan Capistrano more that both NB and LB, but I admit I'm not a shopper and love the SJC mission. Driving to and parking in either beach town on a summer weekend wouldn't be my idea of fun.
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 08:23 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd look for an Airbnb or similar (if available - haven't checked) in "Little Bal" - Balboa Island, not the peninsula (part of Newport Beach.) Lovely, low key, very walkable. Ferry to the peninsula for bars, beaches, etc. https://goo.gl/maps/jrQ7PeHShDy5HpaH8 and https://goo.gl/maps/TyQzvFH4b36Evtgj8
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 09:39 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
In the mid-50's my favorite thing to do was to sit on a little beach on Balboa Island & paint with my artist grandmother. In the mid-60's my mother & grandmother had an apartment in Pyne Castle in Laguna Beach where I'd stay when not on the road. I love them both (Newport not so much). I suggest, along the lines of Gardyloo's idea, that you search the Airbnb site for a fun place to stay in either Laguna or Balboa I. and let that determine where you'll go. They're close enough to each other that it hardly matters so find a unique accommodation, unlike where you might normally choose, and make your 1 night really memorable.
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 12:11 PM

It's a matter of preference, I like Newport Beach and Balboa Island and don't care for artsy.
By the way, Laguna Beach outlawed short term rentals except for a few dozen that are grandfathered into the law, so forget AirBnB in Laguna. As far as I know, they are still legal in Newport for the time being.
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by jamie99
. . . Laguna Beach outlawed short term rentals except for a few dozen that are grandfathered into the law, so forget AirBnB in Laguna.
I'm finding a number of accommodations on Airbnb in Laguna, including hotel rooms & apartments so if it interests you, don't "forget" it. Also some interesting possibilities on Booking.com.

Old Dec 15th, 2019, 09:30 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
There are adorable short-term rentals on Balboa Island, but the minimum is usually three nights.

I agree that Laguna v Newport depends on your personal choices. Neither is boring to us.
Laguna is more upscale, and therefor probably more expensive. Newport Beach has The Crab Cooker (if it's re-opened after renovations yet).

I suggest you look at lodging first. It may be challenging to find a one-night stay at either location.
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by MoBro
There are adorable short-term rentals on Balboa Island, but the minimum is usually three nights. . . I suggest you look at lodging first. It may be challenging to find a one-night stay at either location.
If you see a rental that appeals, don't let a posted minimum number of nights necessarily stop you, particularly if you check their calendar & see bookings that leave a window of opportunity for the night you want. Many times hosts will waive restrictions to either fill the calendar or, if it's off-season and they'd like guests, for a shorter period than they'd accept at a busier time. It never hurts to contact the host through the website & check.
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 11:06 AM

Here is a fairly recent story, there are some legal rentals but less than 100. Being listed on AirBnB does NOT make a listing legal, like VRBO and others, they only take the money to post the listing but do not verify the legality. When in doubt, ask to see a copy of the host's business license.
https://www.ocregister.com/2019/06/0...-seaside-town/
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by jamie99
. . . Being listed on AirBnB does NOT make a listing legal, like VRBO and others, they only take the money to post the listing but do not verify the legality.
No one here has ever said a listing makes it a legal rental. My experience is with Airbnb only & as a host for 5 years I know there is no fee whatever to post a listing on the site. The fee is a small percentage of the proceeds from a booking. Hotels & other commercial properties, in any case, are presumably licensed businesses and their listings on Airbnb would be legal.
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The two locations greatly vary geographically.
Newport Beach is generally flat with a broad expanse of beach. Laguna is very hilly with smaller beaches and coves.
I think Laguna is more beautiful and pedestrian friendly.
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 05:38 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I love Laguna Beach. It would be my choice.

My two stops would be Tuvalu for shopping and the Orange Inn for something to eat/ drink.
https://orangeinncafe.com/
http://www.tuvaluhome.com/
A few miles up the road is the wonderful Beachcomber on the beach -
https://thebeachcombercafe.com/
If you have to wait for a table, turn left as you face the ocean and walk up the beach for a bit until you see the house from the movie, Beaches.
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 08:34 AM

Good point, MmePerdu:
"If you see a rental that appeals, don't let a posted minimum number of nights necessarily stop you, particularly if you check their calendar & see bookings that leave a window of opportunity for the night you want. Many times hosts will waive restrictions to either fill the calendar or, if it's off-season and they'd like guests, for a shorter period than they'd accept at a busier time. It never hurts to contact the host through the website & check."
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by starrs
I love Laguna Beach. It would be my choice.
Mine, too.

Old Dec 17th, 2019, 09:03 AM

I think, in general, I might prefer Laguna Beach.
At Laguna, we liked this simple little place. It's well-located and has free parking. https://tideslaguna.com/

But, if you could snag one of those adorable bungalows on Balboa Island, I'd do it. I've always wanted to vacation there.

Last edited by MoBro; Dec 17th, 2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old Dec 17th, 2019, 12:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I would choose Laguna Beach and stay at the Surf and Sand!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -