Reload this Page >

Newport RI Lodging suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 07:22 AM
Cathy

I will be visiting Newport, RI for a long weekend and would like to find a hotel, inn or B&B that has atmosphere, but is not overloaded with Laura Ashley prints or other cutesy things. We can spend up to about $250 per night, but would rather spend less. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 05:01 PM
Dawn

I love the Ivy Lodge which is very centrally located to the mansions, etc. and very charming. Yes it does have some chintz and Laura Ashley, but maybe you can request one of the rooms which is less "flowery." Overall I really recommend it and have had many happy stays there.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 07:00 PM
pete

I stayed in the Newport Bay club, www.newportbayclub.com two years ago for a few nights. It's not a bed & breakfast, or even a hotel atmosphere, but the units are 1 or two bedroom apartments that I think they use for timeshares & nightly rentals when they're not booked. We stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment that was very comfortable and clean. They were running a deal for 3 nights for $299 in June, which was a good price. They're located right by the "wave" statue on the main street near all the bars/restaurants/wharf and I would recommend it as a much less expensive alternative to the other hotels right in downtown. Another fun place to stay was Brown's (or Bowen's can't remember which) wharf (make reservations through the Clarke Cooke House restaurant. They have several rooms that they rent out right on the wharf (by the Black Pearl restaurant), including ones that share two large decks overlooking the marina. The rooms were clean, comfortable, all amentities (tv, bath etc.), but the best part was sitting out on the deck watching the LARGE yachts pull in and out of the marina, plus being right on top of the Black Pearl wharf area.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 07:07 PM
pete

Sorry, the wharf in Newport with lodging is Bannister's Wharf, not Brown's or Bowen's. The address & phone is:

Bannister's Wharf
1 Bannisters Wharf
Newport, RI 02840-3029
Tel: 401-846-4500

THey used to have a website with pictures but I couldn't find it.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 05:14 AM
lisa

I can tell you where NOT to stay: The Viking Inn. We stayed there last year (admittedly, on the Fourth of July weekend -- btw, we would never go back to Newport on that weekend). For over $300 a night we had a room that was so small you could barely walk around the queensize bed. Ditto the bathroom. And, there wasn't even a closet to put your suitcase in. Don't get me wrong -- we live in Manhattan and are used to small spaces and high prices, but this was ridiculous.

Our room was also situated next door to the maid's closet where we had the pleasure of hearing her slam the door repeatedly beginning about 7 am.

The hotel was crowded and not fancy enough to warrant the ticket price.

On the plus side: it has a good location and lots of parking.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 10:15 AM
ann

I feel compelled to write in defense of the Hotel Viking - we stayed there in June, and were more than happy with our accommodations. The room wasn't huge, but it wasn't a bad size for a hotel built in the 1920's, likewise the bathroom. There's an indoor pool, which we didn't use, but friends of ours did and enjoyed it. There's no doubt that you pay extra for the location, but we felt that the convenience of being right in the middle of town was worth it. I would happily stay there again.