Search

Newport or similar town - from NYC without car

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2024, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newport or similar town - from NYC without car

Hello Fodorites,

I'm looking to visit Newport, RI in August for 2 - 3 nights from NYC without a car and I also don’t want to flight, just want somewhere nice and accessible for someone who doesn’t drive. What is the best way to get there from NYC?

I’m looking for “quiet” small town on the shore, with rocky beaches, nice views that I can enjoy without a car.

Or if there are any other towns that fit these requirements I can absolutely consider changing the destination.

TIA
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 08:31 AM

"By Train. Amtrak's Northeast Corridor offers daily service to two nearby connecting stations: Kingston, RI (KIN): Connections to Newport, RI: Van/car service is available to Newport, RI. Call (401) 295-1100 for information and reservations (required)."

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Manhattan/Newport-RI-USA
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 08:44 AM

Newport is not what I would describe as a quiet small town, especially during August. It is very busy as well as pricey. Newport is mostly known for the historic mansions and the Cliff Walk as well as the Tennis Hall of Fame, the Newport Folk Festival and society weddings as well as the historic synagogue as well as fine dining. I have been to Newport several times both on business and on vacation. The business trip was during the summer and we were housed at the Marriott. It is of course quieter off season.

Although I haven't been there, Narragansett might be more what you are looking for.
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 05:39 AM

That's an interesting question; I'd like to read the answers. I really don't know, as we ago to the North Fork of Long Island in the summer (from NYC). But these come to mind, although you would need others to discuss them here...

Towns on the north shore of Boston(??). Rockport???? But no idea how to get there from NYC....

Cape May, New Jersey???
https://www.capemay.com

Greenport, Long Island is a former whaling village with some charming architecture and walkable to a town beach. Easy to get to from NYC by bus or train. But I'm not sure its has the atmosphere you are looking for.....its a fairly busy town in summer, but small and walkable.

Can you take a few more days??

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Apr 16th, 2024 at 05:43 AM.
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks you all
By “quiet” I meant not crazy like in nyc.
I know it’s summer and it will be busy but I just want to get away from the city without having to go very far away or flight.
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 10:25 AM

So now I have another idea - Block Island, RI. I haven't been there in a long time and so I assume that it is more developed since I was there last but it is easy to walk around or rent a bike. You can take the train from NY to New London, CT and then the ferry. The ferry also departs from Point Judith RI but if I recall you need to take a car to get there. There may also be a ferry from Providence and Providence, a smallish city is a great place to visit anytime and so I would recommend checking this out. I know that at least twice I took the ferry with friends from New London.
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 07:16 PM

You can take a bus (Hampton Jitney) from Manhattan to Orient Point and connect to the ferry from Orient Point to Block Island.

Or get down from the bus in Greenport and stay there for three days.
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 12:05 PM

You can take the train to New London then ferry to either Block Island or Orient Point, as has been mentioned. The ferry terminal is right next to the train station.