Newburyport or Gloucester

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newburyport or Gloucester

Haven't been to either recently. My inlaws are visiting. My MIL likes to shop and have a nice meal. I remember both towns to be pretty and easily walkable. Any recommendations?

Oh, and she doesn't eat seafood.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Definitely Newburyport!
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 08:41 AM

I agree. Newburyport hands down. Much nicer shops and restaurants than Gloucester
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 08:45 AM

another vote for Newburyport for the same reasons
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 08:58 AM

Okay-I would go the other direction if you include Rockport (next to Gloucester). Gloucester is an interesting working seaport with a nice main street; great bakeries (Virgillios for Italian bread/pizza)and Rockport is the quaint town, dripping in cute with shops, etc. Depending on what time of year you are going would dictate what is and isn't open.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 09:43 AM

Rockport, Newburyport, Gloucester - in that order of preference. Don't know age of MIL, but all have uneven/cobblestone sidewalks that can be killers on bad feet, knees, hips.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

You all rock!! Thanks!!
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 12:03 PM

Newburyport wins over Rockport because Rockport is dry. Newburyport has beautiful shops, restaurants and a lovely park along the river.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 04:18 PM

Rockport had some sort of vote recently about becoming undry - not sure how it went.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 06:21 AM

Rockport isn't dry anymore. But, not all of the restaurants applied for liquor licences.

While Rockport is beautiful, I prefer the restaurant choices in Newburyport.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

My inlaws don't drink so "dry" is okay.

I've been to Newburyport. I remember it as being very nice. I have never been to Rockport. As long as there is shopping, my MIL is happy. The others would probably prefer to sit and people watch or listen to music.

Thanks again for all the responses.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 10:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
If they are visiting in warm weather, MY PLACE, in Rockport, has a terrace overlooking the water. The food is the best there IMHO.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 01:20 PM

I think Rockport is one of the most charming towns I've ever seen and had the privilege to live in for 10 years. BTW, there are no cobblestone streets there. You could possibly do all three towns. If you've never been to Marblehead; I would recommend that as well.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 02:38 PM

Rockport is a lovely small town .. very picturesque .. but so isn't Newburyport only a bit bigger .. I would definitely do both .. and they are both doable in a day .. Rockport .. I think Rockport is prettier with lots of shops and botiques .. Newburyport while still very charming a bit bigger with probably a few more choices overall .. maybe not quite as quaint ...
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 03:13 PM

If you want to experience the ocean,
beaches and a lovely village feel then
Rockport is definitely your choice.
Classic New England with the amazing
Atlantic everywhere you turn, a great
walking town.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 03:08 AM

Overall, Newburyport offers the most appeal with its myriad locally-owned shops, diverse dining selections and interconnected streets (by charming brick sidewalks), thus creating more walking opportunities downtown. The water views are great and a few miles away is the Parker Wildlife Refuge -- so unspoiled and natural for several miles, that it's hard to believe Boston is less than an hour away.

Our favorite dining spot is the Grog, which has a nice New England neighborhood feel and some outstanding steak, chicken and seafood (for you, not your mother-in-law) selections. To us, it's the most comfortable place in town, and it won't break your wallet.

Not that there's anything wrong with Gloucester. It's worth a trip, also, courtesy of the majestic Atlantic Ocean residing in this nice, "true" New England community. But overall, Newburport has more of a cohesive feel, has been better maintained and improved community-wide, and is further enhanced by some remarkably restored Colonial, Federal and Victorian examples of commercial and residential architecture.

I think you'll enjoy this interesting, appealing community, if you choose to go there.

Eric, VisitingNewEngland.com, http://www.visitingnewengland.com
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!! I've dropped Gloucester and I'm now debating between Rockport and Newburport. The trip has been pushed back to October. If one town is having any type of fair or celebration, that will probably be the deciding factor.

Thanks again!!
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 08:07 AM

I see Newburyport as a lovely, charming place to visit but when I compare it to Rockport, Newburyport is more spread out and feels more like a city in the sense that you see locals around doing their thing.

When I have someone visiting who has limited time to experince a typical New England town, I immediately think to take them to Rockport. Every time I go, I feel like a tourist - in a positve way. I am from the North Shore and every visit to Rockport I come away saying, " I can't belive how beautiful and quaint this town is." It is like being at Universial Studios in Florida, but this is the real thing. It's also not too spread out, but very contained for walking. The ocean views are georgeous, there is a nice variety of browsing type shops as opposed to large stores.

When I go to Newburyport I don't feel the quaintness I feel in Rockport. I would venture to say, going to Rockport with your MIL will creat memories that she will always have to look back on fondly. It's also very, very close to Gloucester. You can drive through Gloucester on your way to or back from Rockport.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 05:55 AM

It really depends what 'feel' you're looking for. Newburyport is great for shopping and dining. Rockport offers more of the beach town 'away from it all' feel.

I wouldn't write off Gloucester though--shop Rockport then head to Gloucester for dinner. There are wondeful choices for lunch and breakfast in Rockport but I'm hard pressed to recommend anywhere for dinner. There are a few places with views of the water but the food is mediocre at best. During the off-season double check hours and openings.

In Gloucester I would recommened making reservations at either Passports or Alchemy ( alchemybistro.com ). Alchemy's atmosphere is perfect for a enjoying a glass of wine with friends/family. Food at both restaurants is good. Another option is the Franklin (Gloucester) but their menu is much more limited and it's very dark. I'm not even 40 yet and have trouble seeing the menu in the dark LOL. There is another restaurant that is usually recommended but I can't think of it right now, maybe in the Rocky Neck area.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 07:13 PM

Saw this was an older post, but since the trip's not till October.....
My vote would be for Newburyport. If it were summer, I might vote for Rockport, but in the fall, definitely Newburyport! And, if your trip is on Columbus Day weekend Sunday or Monday, there will be a festival going on -- I belive it's called the Harvest Festival. It has a great fall atmosphere with bales of hay and scarecrows all around the downtown area. Vendors will be hawking stuff and some of the local farms will be selling apples & cider, autumn flowers, pumpkins, gourds, etc. -- a quintessential New England day! It's also a great time for browsing in all the shops.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -