Reload this Page >

New York will survive!

Search

New York will survive!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 06:11 AM
Frank

New York will survive!

Message: Back at my desk this morning in Midtown Manhattan after yesterday's horrific events. It will take time for things to begin to resemble the world as it was prior to yesterday morning.

Although the streets are quite, the sun is shinning brilliantly harkening a symbolic new beginning.

You can't begin to realize the spirit of New Yorkers and you will be amazed how quickly a semblance of order will be restored.

Pray for New York and the United States.

We will survive and prosper!

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 06:28 AM
Arabella

There's no truly place like New York and there are no people like New Yorkers. God bless you all.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 07:34 AM
Ei

This too we will overcome.

God Bless us all.

(Kill a commie for your Mommy - sorry I had to - NYC girl).

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 09:15 AM
L

God Bless NYC ... a wonderful city that will not only survive, but will become a living symbol of freedom and life for vastly different people. I love NYC. I am so sorry it has been wounded by those cowards. Ciao, L

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 09:16 AM
kal

Kudos to the New York spirit.

We never experienced any of the legendary "attitude" during our visit a few years back. We were treated better there than in some of these wanna be folksy "Gold Country" shops here in No. Calif!

When you hear that 5,000+ people showed up to voluteer with the resuce workers and that there was up to a 4 hr wait to give blood right in NYC, how can anybody say New Yorkers are callous about their fellow man?

GO NYC! The Real American Spirit at work.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 10:34 AM
Jacky

THREE HUGE CHEERS FOR NEW YORK and the great people there!!!!!!!!!

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 07:17 AM
Ellen

Some more info to warm the spirit:

NYC cabs have generously offered to drive FREE OF CHARGE any person in the 5 boroughs who wants to donate blood and has no transportation to the centers.

Chelsea Market has been working around the clock making sandwiches and soliciting other restaurants for food and delivering it downtown to rescue workers.

Sneaker stores offered free sneakers to the women who were forced to walk nearly 100 blocks uptown, in heels, to get to the trains and ferries.

There was a man who went out and purchased dozens of pairs of socks and bandaids to those walking uptown that had blisters or were just in need.

People in my building volunteered to bring food to the elderly and shut-ins as most of the grocery stores were being cleaned out quickly and there was little or no delivery service.

Teenagers were seen in groups all over town collecting money for the Red Cross and handing out candy to children.

People on every block were purchasing bottled water, juices and sodas to offer to the many police officers patroling the streets and directing traffic.

Because of all this and more, I will remain a New Yorker for life. No one will intimidate me into leaving this city. With or without the WTC, it is still home.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 08:13 AM
Charlie

We will be back! I fervently hope that an effort will be launched to rebuild the complex bigger and better than before; first, as a towering memorial to those that are dead or missing and second, to show these people that we are not afraid of them.

I am one of the very lucky; I had just arrived at my office right across the street from the towers when the first plane crashed into the north tower. One minute later and I would have been hit by the blizzard of falling debris, some small and some big even to smash cars nearby. Unfortunately, I was also around long enough for the second plane when it crashed into the south tower and blew out the windows in my company's building with debris.

I am very proud of and thankful for my fellow New Yorkers as well as others who have come to help in our hour of need.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 09:28 AM
Thyra

Hey NYC! As a proud Los Angeles resident. I say YOU GUYS ARE THE FINEST!! Alive and kicking!!! We are with you and we love you! My husband has often told me,you can't keep a New Yorker down, he wasn't kidding! You make us all proud! Fight the good fight and know we are all behind you.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Anna

New Yorkers - we support and commend your strength and your sense of spirit.
This has been an attack on our entire country and every American, and it fills me with pride to hear about how so many of us are reaching out to help in any way we can.
I cannot express how my heart goes out to the families who have lost loved ones or are still hoping . . .these are inhumane acts that we will never forget.
They may have won this battle, but we will surely win the war!!!! We will survive, overcome, heal, and come back stronger.
God bless America .

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 10:08 AM
L

I would like to see America take on the job of rebuilding the WTC. The cost would be a fraction of the Federal budget. Add a check-off on the 1040, just like for election financing. And sell savings bonds to help underwrite the cost. Personally, I think the country would get back its investment a thousand fold, just in the good feeling the new towers would offer all of us. The nation could establish a five-year goal ... and reopen the new towers on 9/11/06 ... dedicated to all who perished there. And it could house a new international organization dedicted to eradicating terrorism in all forms. Like the Kennedy Center in DC, we could offer every country the opportunity to contribute something to the new towers complex. Like ther Carter Center in Atlanta, this new organiztion could mount education and send in teams to monitor potential terrorist groups. Yes, dangerous work ... but critically needed for a safer future. I LOVE NY. Ciao

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 10:38 AM
Monica

L, I was wondering yesterday wether the TWCs should be rebuilt. I thought, YES! It would show the world that we can survive such horrific acts and that we can stand up to these terrorists.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 11:02 AM
L

Monica, whatever is built there ought to be something nationally supported ... perhaps quasi public-private ... a mix of activities and organizations. It might even be possible to have an international competition, as with the Vietnam Wall here in DC, for the design and use. Have a good week and weekend. I'm off. Ciao

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 02:34 PM
Charlie

L,

I think your suggestions are terrific but very difficult to do. A very unfortunate investor group had just reached agreement a few months ago to lease the WTC complex for 99 years from the Port Authority of NY and NJ. Depending on whether the contract had an "out" for terrorism, the owner could be the Port Authority or the investor group. I believe something will eventually replace the towers but what it will be will depend on the owners, public opinion and sufficent financial support.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 04:07 PM
Boots

Our thoughts and prayers are constantly with you folks in New York and D.C.and will remain with you for the many weeks and months to come. God bless you and God bless American.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 04:32 PM
John

A couple of thoughts from a Seattleite –

The Battery already has a cluster of history museums and historic sites – the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island ferries, Indian Museum, Finance Museum, churches, the Holocaust/Diaspora center, etc. A national memorial for crime victims might be well placed in what would have been the shadow of the WTC.

Along with friends of ours who lost friends, but thank God not themselves or loved ones, we plan to be there waving flags at the groundbreaking of the replacement building. How about the UN moving downtown?

I really think we should support declaration of a new national holiday to honor the emergency services people around this country who risk their lives every day to protect us. How about Heroes Day?

New York this week has shown why it’s the capital of the world and should stay so. God bless all of you.

PS We’re still gonna wax your baseball team this fall.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 06:43 PM
Margot

I can't tell you how heartwarming it is to read all of the touching sentiments expressed above. I think that the events of these past few days may have gone a long way in diminishing the previous unfortunate sterotypical characterization of the "ugly New Yorker". I am a social worker at the outpatient mental health center of Staten Island University Hospital, which is currently offering itself as a walk-in crisis center for people who have been experiencing the traumatic after-effects of Tuesday's events. In having met with a number of people who have chosen to avail themselves of this service, I can tell you that I have heard the consistent theme from their independent accounts of helpful, altruistic New Yorkers, even in the face of all the panic and chaos that was happening around them, i.e. stories of people actually stopping to assist others who fell while fleeing the doomed buildings. My husband's account of waiting patiently for 7 and 1/2 hours to donate blood yesterday was typical of similar stories told all around the metro area. While the tremendous loss of life, the loss of a landmark symbol of a great city, and the loss of our innocence are too devastating for words, I feel very encouraged by all the support and compassion you all have expressed in your postings. Thanks, from the bottom of my heart.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 07:28 AM
Rachel

My heart and soul is crying for you NYC. You are a wonderful city and you will survive. It does not surprise me at all that everyone there is getting involved in salvaging the city and it's spirit. For the last two years when everyone goes South for Spring break, we have taken our sons to NYC where we have had great vacations and seen things you won't see anywhere else. Everyone was always so nice (well, maybe one salesperson at Macy's wasn't). It hurts me to think that some of those people may not be with us anymore. We dug out our picture taken from a walk accross the Brooklyn Bridge to look at what is no longer there, but we know you will rise again. My prayers are with NYC, DC and PA