Reload this Page >

New York Trip Report (Part 1)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 07:27 AM
David

Thanks everyone for the help planning our trip to NYC. Here is a short trip report for those that are interested.

Day One:

Took a cab from JFK to hotel (Metropolitan on Lexington Ave), $45 including tip and thoroughly enjoyed the ride downtown (looking at the houses decorated for Christmas).

Check-in at the hotel was pretty quick and the reservations staff gave us a surprise: keys to the “penthouse” for breakfast and snacks for the duration of our stay!

We headed straight to the Rockefeller Center (8pm or so) and took photos at the tree and ice rink. We really enjoyed walking around soaking up the atmosphere. After that we walked down 5th Ave to the Empire State Building. There was a small queue for tickets and elevators although it was quite busy at the top. The views across the city at night are spectacular to say the least!

Day Two:

We had set this day aside for shopping. We started off in Bloomingdales and worked our way down 5th Ave ending up in Macy’s. My feet had never been in so much pain before!

We had reservations made for Peter Luger’s that night (9:45pm was the only slot available and we booked one month in advance!). It was hard tracking down a cab to take us there – no one seemed to know the way. We had an absolute ball in Luger’s!! The best steak we had ever tried and not as expensive as we were led to believe. There were 4 of us so we ordered the porterhouse for 2 twice, and all of the sides that came recommended. To top it off we had the cheesecake and schlag – I still don’t know how we managed to finish it! The staff were great – we found their surliness quite humorous and not the least bit offensive.

cto'd

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 07:29 AM
David

Day Three:

We took a cab to Battery Park to catch the ferry to Liberty Island only to find a three hour long queue! We decided it was best to save it for another trip. It was too cold to stand for so long and the statue has been closed to visitors since 9/11.

We took a walk through the Financial District – the architecture there is amazing. We then walked along to the WTC site. That was a very sobering experience. It was sad reading the messages of grief and support. I was appalled at the number of stalls “cashing in” on the tragedy. I would urge anyone visiting the area not to support these.

After stopping for some lunch we shopped in Century 21 and then walked through Chinatown and Little Italy. Both of these areas were a lot of fun! My personal favourite was Little Italy. We then walked through Greenwich Village before making our way back to the hotel.

We had tickets to see Beauty and the Beast that night. It was a great show – some fantastic effects and a lot of fun. My only “complaint” was that the legroom was a little mean – especially after the walking we had done! It didn’t detract from the whole experience and I would highly recommend this show to anyone wanting to visit Broadway.

Day Four:

We went to David Wilkerson’s Time Square Church in the morning. It was fantastic. A lot of the service remind us of our own church back home and we were made to feel very welcome.

After the meeting we had lunch in the Ellen’s Stardust Diner. This place is great! The staff take turns entertaining the guests – singing and climbing on top of tables etc. The food was good and inexpensive. The Stardust Sundae Shake is to die for!!

We shopped AGAIN!! This time returning to Macys and Bloomingdales. We decided to take it easy for a few hours and lazed around the hotel. Later that night we visited Loews Theatre in Times Square and watched “Catch me if you can” (very good movie). We had hoped to capture Times Square on our video camera after the movie but were VERY disappointed that a lot of the lights were switched off when we came out (around 1pm). I was shocked at this as this was supposed to be the city that never sleeps! Maybe we expected too much.

cto'd

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 07:30 AM
David

Finally...

Day Five:

We took one last walk up 5th Avenue to Central Park stopping for photo opportunities on the way (plus some last minute shopping!). We walked along to Serendipty 3 but couldn't get in as it was jam packed!! Central Park was lovely as it was still covered in snow and people were riding around in the carriages. We walked as far as Strawberry Fields and The Dakota and caught a cab back to the Hotel to pick up our bags and depart for the airport.

We seen so much and had such a great time that it’s hard to put it into words. Thanks again to everyone here at Fodors who contributed and helped make our trip more enjoyable.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 07:33 AM
x

David, sounds like you had a great trip! FYI, you can take the free Staten Island Ferry for wonderful views of Lady Liberty!

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 07:40 AM
Abbey

Wonderful report - thanks for posting! You did your homework and really made the most of your trip - good for you! Also, thanks for commenting on your hotel, and restaurant choices. Since you enjoy architecture, you might want to check out the walking tours at: http://www.mas.org/Events/tours.cfm for your next visit. Glad you had fun!

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 08:00 AM
tommy

My feet are ACHING just reading all that you accomplished!

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 08:11 AM
Ellen

Great report! As for the lights, the city stays awake, but the lights go out for conservation reasons. The electric bills to support all that glitter is astronomical. Also, if you like to go to movies I have 2 suggestions for your next trip. The first is The Ziegfeld on West 54th. Beautiful art deco surroundings, costumes from the Follies on display, and the biggest theater in NYC. Next is the Angelika on Houston @ Mercer St. Usually focuses on foreign films and non-mainstream. Funky decor with a lounge area. Great for people watching!

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 08:18 AM
Owen O'Neill

Ellen's suggestions is excellent but I would add the Landmark Sunshine Theatre on Houston Street to the list. It shows movies of the same ilk as the Angelika but has substantially nicer and more up to date seating, projection equipment and audio as it is a brand new facility. Similar quality snakc bar as Angelika but lacks the seating and therefore the people watching opportunities. A visit is not complete without stopping by before or after to grab a knish at Jonah Schimmel's Knishes, next door to the theatre. Very authentic (and heavy!) and a very old-fshiopned traditional NYC type of establishment.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 12:02 AM
David

Thanks for the feedback everyone - I really appreciate it.

We had intended on visiting the Ziegfeld but got caught up in a few other things - I'm sure you know how easy that can happen!

We're hoping to stay for 10 nights next year so we should be able to catch up on a few trips.

Happy New Year Everyone!!!

David

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 05:34 AM
NYGirl

Happy New Year David!
I really enjoyed your report and reading that you had such a good time.
10 days in warmer weather will be great for your next visit!

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 08:02 AM
Laura

Loved reading your report....we just went for a long weekend (DEC. 27-30). It was our second time and we had a blast! It was nice to see at the holidays, as the last visit was in the May of 2001. Seems like we did alot of similar things and yes, the feet still hurt! I can't wait to go again. We went on the Staten Island Ferry at night and the view of the skyline is beautiful, and it does give you a good view of the Statue of Liberty. My son and I enjoyed a "Christmas Carol" at Maddison Square Gardens.
PS.
Don't read below, if not a soap opera enjoyer!!!
I was given directions in the subway by a fellow who looked familiar to me....he is on the soap..."The Young and the Restless".....that's the first "celebrity" I've met, so that was fun. He and his wife were very nice and helpful. He plays Jack Abbott. He was also on "All My Children" years ago, playing Cliff, which is filmed in New York.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 09:10 AM
NYGirl

Laura,
a similar *happening* when I was dropping change at a phone booth on Third Ave one summer day.
"John Boy Walton" helped me chase runaway quarters and he was so nice! Now I can't remember his real name!Lol!