New York Transportation help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have all been so helpful to me in the past regarding getting around NYC - even getting me on the Subway for my first time!

I am headed back to the city in Oct. We arrive into JFK late at night and I will arrange a car to pick us up.

Going back I need to get to Newark and then take the NJ transit train to a place called Whitehouse station.

I am slightly confused on how to do this - from what I can tell I take the train from Penn station and then transfer in NJ.

If anyone has any experience with any part of this - as always I thank you in advance.

Dawn
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 12:56 PM

You can go on NJ transit with a transfer at Newark Penn Station. Might not run on weekends, though.

www.njtransit.com
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - I seem to have a hard time with that website and navigating through it.
Original Poster

btw, I am looking to go on a Friday.

I am staying with family in NJ and then headed to Philly on Sunday.

Just to clarify, NJ Transit goes into NY Penn Station. You would be on NJ Transit the whole time, just two different trains.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

that helps me actually. Thank you. I will keep trying to get through the website.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 01:13 PM

The departing station is New York Penn Station and the destination station is White House. Then pick weekday. Looks like there are only 11 trips each weekday with 2 in the am and the rest in the pm

depart NYC 06:41 AM (arriving WH 08:15 am)
depart NYC 10:37 AM (arriving WH 12:10 am)
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

You have been a tremendous help thank you so much.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Okay one more for you.

I am staying in time square at the Hilton Garden Inn (points) and so I can take the subway to Penn Station right?
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 01:22 PM

There are several subway lines that run under Penn Station (1, 2, 3, and A, C, E I think).

Now that I think about it, whenever I take NJ Transit it is to Trenton, which is an end station. They have an electronic board everyone watches and they put up the track line. Since it is an end station, I can see Trenton on the board. I don’t know what you will have to look for with a transfer.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you SO much. My niece who lives in Whiteshouse has done it a few times I will give her a call and see what I need to look out for. I am a suburb gal and the subway last July was a big deal for me.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 03:24 PM

White House is a station stop on NJ Transit Raritan Valley line. All of its trains originate and terminate at Newark Penn Station and do not go to NY Penn station. They usually leave from track 5, where they sit for departure. If you arrive on a NJ TRansit train from New York Penn station that trip takes about 15- 20 minutes, and those trains arrive on either track 3 or 4 so you would have to go down the steps to the concourse and up the steps, or escalator to track 5. Any NJ Transit train designated as Northeast Corridor to Trenton or North Jersy Coast line will stop at Newark Penn station. You also need to buy your ticket ahead of time from either the kiosk or agent. One ticket will be issued for the trip and you will need to show it on the train from New York to Newark and remember to take it with you on the train to White House Station.
This stop is served by train service M-F only.
The last train departing NY penn for Newark and to White House leaves at 10:41 pm. More frequent and weekend and late night service goes only as far as Raritan about 15 miles east of White House.
My family lives at the the North Branch stop so I have ridden this train frequently when visiting.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 04:00 PM

Here's the NJ Transit route map:

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

Yes, there's a New York Penn Station and a Newark Penn Station, which is forever confusing in these dyas of fewer railroads. It's a leftover from the days when there were more than one railroad, i.e. if you had to take the Pennsylvania Railroad, you went to Pennsylvania Station.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Okay - so if I have this right. I buy the entire fare in NYC and then transfer to a different track in NJ Newark?

I would head out sometime Friday mid morning/early afternoon.

Old Sep 4th, 2008, 04:43 PM

yes, MomDDTravel, just as if you bought a flight from NY to Paris with a change of planes in London.
One ticket, 2 vehicles--just a little less glamorous
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Okay..slight change in transportation if possible.

My Aunt broke her pelvic bone and has been moved to a nursing/rehab place in Staten Island. She is getting older and I would like to go and see her on Friday before I head out to the other family in NJ.

To take a train or transportation to Staten Island and then to Newark and take the train to WHS - impossible???
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 07:01 AM

<<To take a train or transportation to Staten Island and then to Newark and take the train to WHS - impossible??>>

A bit more involved but doable

If I recall correctly, you're staying in Times Square. Therefore, take a subway (#1 train) to South Ferry. Be sure to be in one of the first five car, since the platform there is short and some doors won't open. You will come up in the Staten Island Ferry terminal. On the Staten Island end, there is a train, as well as bus and taxi options. The rehab center can best advise what would work.

After your visit, take the ferry back to Manhattan. Walk or take a short taxi ride to the World Trade Center site, where you can get a PATH train to Newark Penn Station. Unlike your previous plan, you pay a one-level fare for the PATH train (similar to the subway but you can;'t use a MetroCard).

At Newark Penn Station, switch to the NJ Transit train to White House. I think you will have to buy a ticket at Newark for NJ Transit, or you could buy one at New York Penn Station before you begin this entire trek, just to have the ticket in hand ahead of time.

Old Sep 5th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

That is more complicated Ellen - esp. with an eleven year old who has some moblity issues (foot surgery in March) and luggage.

I wonder if I should hire a car for that morning? I will have to check the rates.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

adding- yes, we are staying at the Hilton Garden Inn (which i am not thrilled about but we are using points - I would prefer to stay in the area we stayed in in July - by the Waldorf - and have considered bidding to see what I can get).

I have taken the Staten Island Ferry - took it over the summer to go by the Statue.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 08:22 AM

Obviously going to Staten Island will complicate your trip and add considerable time. Your best bet would be to hire a car or taxi on Staten Island side rather than in NYC because any car or taxi will more than likely have to go thru Brooklyn and over Verrazano Narrows Bridge to reach Staten Island, since no cars or trucks are allowed on the ferry.
There is no easy public transit from Staten Island to NJ points without going thru NYC first.
You may want to consider leaving your bags at the Hotel whil you schlep around SI

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -