Reload this Page >

New York tourism in full swing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 10:09 AM
danna

I'm happy to report that people must be hearing Rudy's call to spend money in NY. Nobu and Daniel are already full a month out and the best deal I found on a hotel was SoHo Grand for $259. Other's finding the same?

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 10:17 AM
NYer

Well, nobody's listening much to Rudy these days (we have a new mayor), but places like Nobu and Daniel fill up with NYers, not necessarily tourists.
In fact,NY restaurants are reporting
huge losses, some are closing, many are scaling down their high priced menus to something a bit more palatable in this economy. As far as hotel, you've picked a boutique hotel with a rate that it probably a good deal for it. Many midtown chain hotels are offering rates in the range of $150-$200. Lots of peopl her use Priceline ( I don't) and say they have been getting $100 rates for the same hotels. Of course, it depends on the date you are going

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 10:41 AM
carole

Check out hotel prices on quikbook.com -you'll find many decent hotels for less than $259.
Good luck!

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 11:04 AM
John G

Danna, you must not be doing your homework because I just stayed 4 nights in Manhattan, in Midtown, for $348, including taxes.

New York is nowhere near as busy as it used to be. I have been going into the city on business for years and it is a different world now. It has a slower pace, is less gritty, and people are MUCH more patient. I couldn't believe all the people who smiled and chatted with me. This is a different place than when my sister went to Parson's School of Design in the 80's. I don't know if it is because people are shell shocked from 9/11 or they are just re-evaluating their lives and realizing there is more to life than the "rat race."

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 11:31 AM
Abbey

Hi! Another site Danna can try is placestostay.com. John, do you mind if I ask where you stayed and did you book on-line or direct? Thanks!

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 02:30 PM
Paul

Just paid $90 per night at the Millennium Broadway half a block from Times Square, thru Priceline. Several other people have gotten the Millennium, Hilton, Waldorf-Astoria, and Inter-Continental for less than $115 per night.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 05:39 PM
John G

Abbey, if you email directly I will help you.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 06:07 PM
Abbey

Hi John G: no that's ok - just curious, but thank you!