New York Sep 22 to 25th

Search

New York Sep 22 to 25th

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York Sep 22 to 25th

I will be going to New York this weekend. Have not gone to New York for a long time. So, it will just be like a first visit.

I am going with a friend who has never been to New York before who wants to see the sites of New York because so many people talk about it.

I live in Toronto and she lives in Brunei. She lived in Toronto for 1 year. So, my description of New York to her was that it is like Toronto, but more people, more traffic!!!

Since I am interested in art, I will want to visit the Met and MOMA!

Will the Citypass for $65 worth it?

My friend was wondering about a city tour, hop on and off bus thing. Any suggestions?

One of my friends suggested we do the Rockefeller Centre instead of the Empire States Building? Good idea?

I heard there was a free ferry to visit the Statue of Liberty, is that the Staten Ferry Island? If my friend doesn't want to make the stop at Lady Liberty, we will do this.

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 08:56 AM
dmlove

I've never been, but it seems that everyone on this board recommends the Top of the Rock over the Empire State Building for two reasons: 1) better view and 2) you get a timed ticket so you don't spend time in line.

The Staten Island Ferry is indeed free, and offers a nice view of the Statue of Liberty, but it doesn't stop other than on Staten Island (you see the statue from the boat).

Hve fun!

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Actually I was just on the Rockefeller site. They have a special. The Rock and MOMA for $30.

Oh, and how should we get around, the subway I guess is the best?

Is there a day pass for the subway?

Oh and my friend wanted to see Phantom, where to get cheap tix for that. I'm not sure if I will go, I've seen it in Toronto already. Will decide later.

Oh and did anyone enjoy the Frick Collection?
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 09:51 AM

Check www.broadwaybox.com for Phantom tickets.

I have heard that the Frick is amazing, if not for the art itself, then for the actual building. It is certainly on my NYC list.

With respect to the City Pass, I believe that it also includes the Circle Line cruises, so if you get the pass, you can avoid the Staten Island ferry and do the Circle Line cruise (one of them) which will pass by the SoL.

I am also from Toronto and am going to NYC with my daughter in October. I have been researching ad naseum (for a kid-friendly trip though) and can recommend some restaurants if you wish.

Have a wonderful time.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 11:42 AM

The citypass.com is worth it if you intended on going to all those things anyway. Keep in mind the MET is SUGGESTED entry fee. You can give them anything you want and say 1 please (or 2 please). I personally don't think you need to get the pass. There are discounts for Top of the Rock and other things on seasonofsavings.com

I'll also warn that the impressionist section at the Met is CLOSED.

I would consider one of the bus tours like kingofnyc.com or nypartyshuttle.com vs. the hop on/off which is in open top buses.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 12:39 PM

There is a day pass good for both subways and city buses that costs $7.

The Frick is a lovely small museum.

Top of the Rock is also desirable because there are few if any waiting lines. Also, you get a great view f the Empire State Building.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 12:55 PM

I happen to notice your screen name chocaholic - your going to love this recommendation.

You must go to this little chocolate shop near Rockefeller Center. Last time I was in NY, I stopped and got just a few little chocolates - I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

Check out the website - there's a link to the English site.

www.lamaisonduchocolat.com
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Oh, thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Thanks Jamierin, I will put The Frick on my list of things to see, even if not for froo froo Fragonard!

Oh yes, I remember the MET is a suggested donation. BUT I CAN’T BELIEVE IT … THE IMPRESSIONIST SECTION IS CLOSED!!!

A little disappointed but the good thing is now that I have finished my first year of art studies... I have appreciation for the whole variety!

OOoooooo thanks SavTrav, will definitely make a pit stop at la maison du chocolat!!! Drool!

Any suggestion for great French patisseries?

Keep the suggestions coming… 5 more days to go!

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 04:21 PM

For French pastires, I have heard good things about Payard and of course, there is always Fauchon.

Tell me if you want a list of the cupcake places.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jamierin, but not cupcakes.

Wow a Fauchon in New York!!!

But am a fan of cakes like Dufflets! So, if there is any dessert place that is good in New York like it, would not mind to try.

But so far the best chocolates I've had is from the Belgium Chocolate Shoppe in the Beaches area here in Toronto. Also their cocoa is fantastic! Just had it this morning again!!!
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 04:41 PM

Don't know about a NYC Dufflets! I love her cakes too.

My fav chocolates in TO are at Soma in the Distillery District. I'll have to check out your Beach reco - since you are the chocolaholic!

In NYC, I hear Kee's in Soho is the best place, but you must go early or she runs out of the good stuff. By the way, she is closed on Mondays.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 04:45 PM

Sorry, looks like Fauchon in NYC is closed...just checked the website.

I was last there in 2005 so I thought that I would check.

They say on the site that the Fauchon products are sold at the Food Emporium at 405 East 59th Street (at 1st).
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Oh well...that's OK... have had Fauchon already!

Oh no, run out early....uh oh not an early riser!!! I will try my best to get up early!!!

The best pastries I've had so far was in Paris! Yummm...drooling just thinking about. What a big disappointment coming back! Waaahhhhh!!!

I can't remember if I had Soma or not! I must have but can't remember. Leonadis I thought was good, but The Belgium Chocolate Shoppe, their fillings were so good, that even when my favorite is raspberry filled of any, it was their whipped lemon! Fantastic. And if you have their cocoa, you will not go back to the grocery store kind!!!

Just looked at the Food Eporium, it seems like they have a few, gonna have to jot them down and see where I can pass by.

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 05:26 PM

he Impressionists section in the Met closed, I believe, because of the Dutch Masters' exhibit which runs through January 6.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 09:37 PM

Great advice so far. And in the area of chocolate, check out this thread:
Chocoholics! Where is the Best Chocolate in NYC?
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35057076

...though we never did hear back what the OP chose as the winner!...

Enjoy!!
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 12:21 AM

Depending on the type of ticket you get for the hop on hop off buses, the fare also includes the boat to the Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island. The nighttime tour is really good.
The Modern Art gallery is free entry on Friday evenings but the queues early on can be long. We arrived late - no queues but the place was packed.
You don't have much time so assuming you get the bus hop on hop off it will be taking you to all the sights for the 48 hours the ticket is valid for - make sure you get on a bus ont the 47th hour as you can stay on it after the 48th hour has gone. You would not use the metro if you have the bus ticket unless you need to travel in the evening or get to an attraction if you are in a rush.
At Times Square the 1st stop queues can be an hour long - a 5 minute walk down Times Square gets you to the 2nd stop where there are no queues but you will end up on the lower deck until space becomes available upstairs - still saves you an hour wait. Some of the commentaries are not as good as they should be but can be funny for their awfulness.
Grenwich Village is worth a few hours & there was a really well written thread here a few months ago on how to do the Village I read that really helped me when I was there.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 04:38 AM

Is there any way someone can put a link on for teh thread. I Have not been able to use my Fodors search option for months now as the screen is cut-off. Thanks.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 05:56 AM

Hi jamierin, try using Google - there are lots of problems with Fodor's search (from what I understand, they're working on an upgrade). On Google, you can type something like "Fodor's Forums Greenwich Village tour", or click the link for the Advanced Search page, which allows you to search within a specified domain. In that case, put www.fodors.com/forums for the domain and it will search the boards.

Happy hunting!
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 06:36 AM

Great idea ggreen - thank you so much!
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 07:20 AM

Some of the best chocolate in nYC

Kee's
Maisnon du Chocolate
Jacques Torres
Li-lac

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -