Reload this Page >

New York-Restaurants

Search

New York-Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:39 AM
southern girl

New York-Restaurants

I will be visiting in the fall and would love recommendations for 4 or 5 don't miss restaurants. Our hotel is in the broadway area.
Thanks.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:29 AM
Lizzie

Hi Southern Girl! I think any New Yorker's list of "don't miss" restaurants is pretty subjective. You'll probably get more helpful advice if you list some of your criteria - ie, what is your budget? Do you want one huge splurge meal and then four or five fun and good but less expensive suggestions? Are you looking for hip/trendy places with a scene or for more formal experiences? Any types of cuisine you'd like to stay away from or really want to try?

Keeping the above in mind, here's what I'd recommend:

Nobu
Gramercy Tavern
Asia de Cuba
Balthazar

Keep in mind that doing lunch at some of the more expensive New York restaurants is a good way to experience their food for a bit less money. Hope this helps!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 09:19 AM
David

Il Mulino (enjoy!)

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 09:34 AM
Nancy

I was recently in NYC and tried three restaurants based on recommendations I was given here. All three were fantastic!!! They were Nobu, Il Mulino and Bouley Bakery. I'd suggest you call now and make reservations. As a previous poster suggested, lunch is a great, much less expensive way to sample an array of scrumptious food!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 12:42 PM
Southern Girl

We just love great food-Italian, French, Chinese, Greek, a good steak, fresh seafood, gourmet to plain and simple. I would love to google and oogle at some famous people-that would be fun. We will likely splurge once or twice on a really nice dinner, then have lunch at some of the hot spots. Thanks for the tips so far! Keep them coming!!!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 01:27 PM
Ann

Junior's for cheesecake! If you can't make it out to the original in Brooklyn, you can get a slice at the location in Grand Central.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 01:49 PM
phil

A very good French restaurant on the Upper West side is Picholine. Not as well known as some other places, but well worth it.

For a less expensive dinner in a very cool place, check out Chez Es Saada on 1st Ave. at 1st Street. Very sexy French/Morrocan and a great spot, especially for someone in their late 20's to mid-30's.

For an inexpensive, authentic French meal, try Tout Va Bien on West 51st between 8th and 9th. A little run-down, but no less so than many Paris restaurants. Good value.

I have to give the commercial for Orsay which is on Lexington and 75th. Very authentic French restaurant in the brassiere style. My friend Herve is the Executive Chef (he trained at several top restaurants in Paris, the boy can cook!.) Relatively new, but a great spot for sunday brunch or dinner.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 02:11 PM
Lindsey

Definitely do the Bouley Bakery. My wife and I ate there over Memorial Day and it was a wonderful experience. Have to say that I was very disappointed in Alain Ducasse, price to quality was not there. Have heard many wonderful things about Daniel and Le Benardin. Also, am not so keen on AZ. Way to into being hip and trendy. For a quiet afternoon have tea. We went to Tea & Sympathy. Also, let people here know the part of town you will be in, they can point you into some less well known local places.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 02:19 PM
Ei

Quite honestly - you might be better off asking "which restaurants should I definately avoid?"

There are so many great restaurants in NY that if you an only narrow them down to 4 or 5, you might just annoy yourself with "what if's?".

Anyway, NY is a great place and you'll have a great time.

Enjoy!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 04:17 PM
susan

For Greek, Milovos. We had a great Italian lunch at Puleos on restaurant row.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 04:18 PM
susan

good grief...I meant Molivos

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 12:05 PM
juli

If you like Chinese food you must go to the Dish of Salt in Times Square and try there dish The spicy angry chicken.....It is to die for.