New York Restaurant

Old Oct 21st, 2003, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York Restaurant

Hi
Arriving in NY next week. Can anyone recommend a fun restuarant to take 3 teenagers, one of whom has a birthday to celebrate. Nothing to expensive but more fun or unusual. Thanks
Trevor
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 08:44 AM

Only place I can think of off the top of my head is Jekyl and Hyde, which has 2 locations, one on 57th and 6th or 7th Avenue and the other is on 7th Avenue South in the village. It's a horror theme restaurant, and since Halloween is around the corner, I'm sure there will be a lot going on there. The one on 57th is a bigger one, and more geared toward tourists.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 08:45 AM

For young teenagers, especially boys, try Jekyll and Hyde Club on 6th and 57th (or thereabouts.) Food is ok and basic (burgers, etc.) but the ambiance for a few 13 year olds, might be fun as it is a haunted house theme.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 08:46 AM

I'll assume you looking for a place in Manhattan for your 3 teenagers to celebrate a birthday.

ESPNZone might fit the bill, if they like sports and an amazing assortment of too cool video games covering the entire floor above the restaurant. Great place for a party.

If they're older teens, or young ladies, then something more "hip" might be in order.

Let us know their age/gender/interests and we can be more specific with our suggestions.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 09:09 AM

I once made the mistake of going to Jeckyl and Hyde. The two mothers next to us with their six or seven year olds turned to us and asked us what in the world we were doing there without little kids. I know a lot of teenagers, but I can't imagine any of them liking Jeckyl and Hyde. I think it's geared more to 5 to 10 year olds.
And the food really is pretty awful.

I agree about ESPNZone -- for girls into sports too, not just for boys.

Serendipity has wonderful desserts, and really good food as well. They can do a spectacular cake or dessert item for you -- or just enjoy their famous frozen hot chocolate. You'll see more younger kids there than teenagers, but adults as well.

A lot of teens seem to be into Asian food these days. If so, Ruby Foo's is a good bet and lots of fun getting food to share. Or if they are real eaters, Carmine's is cheap and fun for a group -- again food to share.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 09:09 AM

Also what kind of food do they like? They may enjoy a nice Japanese or Mexican meal or some other kind of food. WOuld they prefer some good people watching as opposed to all the commotion & tourists at ESPNZone or similar themed places? Take them down the the village area. The E. Village is loaded with reasonably priced restaurants with good food of all types and great people watching. If the weather holds up, many have outdoor seating. They would probably enjoy a stroll thru Washington Sq. Park or St. Marks place.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 09:14 AM

If you're in Soho, you can go to MarieBelle for amazing hot chocolate afterwards.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for ideas. It is my daughters birthday. She is 15. The other 2 boys are 16. Any other suggestions?
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 10:54 AM

This doesn't have to do with restaurants and I don't know if you plan on theater, but at that age, they all seem to love the play Rent. You can get half price tickets in advance on www.broadwaybox.com.

For dining, they may enjoy Little Italy or CHina town (east in china town, have dessert in little italy), there's also little India on E. 6th st betw 1st & 2nd av. Another place they may get a kick out of is this 'Waikiki Wally's' in the E. village (it has a hawaiin theme, www.waikikiwallys.com).