Reload this Page >

New York - Prime Rib

Search

New York - Prime Rib

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 06:27 AM
Phil

New York - Prime Rib

We are visiting New York city in 2 weeks time and staying in the East 50s. Can anyone recommend restaurants where I can eat prime rib?

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 11:04 AM
Owen O'Neill

Two well known steakhouses in that area come to mind - Bobby Van's and Ruth's Chris. Both are $$ (and well regarded for beef) but I'm not sure if they serve prime rib - best to check first. I've eaten at Ruth's Chris and found the beef to be excellent butIMHO overpriced. Bobby Van's receives decent reviews but is also $$. Michael Jordan's steakhouse is on the mexzzanine at one end of the main room in beautifully restored Grand Central Station. $$ but looks liek a fun place to eat and peoplewatch (two of my favorite pastimes). Not in that area but a short cab ride is Smith & Wollensky - I know little about them other than the fact that they are a well known old-line Manhattan steakhouse - perhaps someone else can offer commentary?

Old Oct 15th, 2000, 07:14 PM
Jeff

If you like to drink wine with your dinner, there is a restaurant, Cite, near where you are staying which has, many believe, to be the best deal in this expensive city. Cite is owned by Smith & Wollensky and each night has a 60 dollar price fix which includes a very good meal with appetizer, entree (they specialize in steaks of all kinds like Smith & Wollensky) and dessert. The deal is that they serve unlimited very good wine and champagne during the entire meal. The 2000 Zagats calls it a fab deal. This is not an advertisement but sounds like it because it is my favorite place.

Old Oct 15th, 2000, 07:15 PM
jeff

P.S. I thought about it because it is located at 51st and 6th.

Old Oct 15th, 2000, 09:22 PM
Brian Kilgore

Smith & Wollensky's, roast beef $28 at lunch and $32 at dinner time, vegetables, etc. extra.

One of the two or three best restaurants (straighforward, real food, no goats eyes sauteed in tofo, etc.) I've eaten in, and I've eaten in a lot of good places.

A New York experience, too. A couple of years ago my wife sold the World Series tickets she had won, and took us to dinner there, instead.

BAK

BAK

Old Oct 15th, 2000, 09:34 PM
steve

The best prime rib IMHO is at the Old Homestead, 9th Ave. at 14th Street. Get the extra thick cut.

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 05:32 AM
howard

Just a clarification/correction: Smith & Wollensky is located at Third Ave. & 49th St., which is right in the area where Phil is staying

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 05:37 AM
meaty

Zagat is very reliable & will tell you what places are rated highest for meat& alos by area. Dont limit yourself to one area though.

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 05:49 AM
Annie

Phil:
Gallaghers on West 52nd gets my vote!
228 West 52nd Street
212-245-5336 for reservations

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 09:46 AM
Caitlin

The free-flowing wine dinner at Cité is only after 8 p.m.

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 09:58 AM
fiona

I vote for Cite too, the free wine with dinner is only from 8pm onwards, as already stated. The steaks are fab, as is the rest of the food, and service!