Search

New York or Paris

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 10:55 AM
Kelly

New York or Paris

Would you go to Paris or New York for 3 days at the end of January? My sister & I are trying to decide & she is worried about jetlag coming back from Paris. Granted one of the days in Paris would be the day we arrive (our plane would get in around 9am). Gide us! Thanks

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 11:07 AM
Steve

Kelly,

Great options. You can't make a bad decision. I would probably take the shorter trip because of the lack of time, but if you fall asleep and wake up in Paris ...

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 11:14 AM
Leone

Kelly, how about a few salient facts, such as what's your city of origin? Visited Paris before? NYC? What do you like to do? Speak French? If I were you, I wouldn't be concerned about jet lag - you'll just be progressively more fatigued from lack of a good night's sleep. The flight back from Paris will be okay; although daytime, you'll probably sleep most of the way, and then presumably you'll be home that evening and in your own bed. But you'll be tired for 2-3 more days probably. But heck, who cares? WHERE DO YOU WANT TO GO? Go there - and don't be logical about choosing. Go where you'll be the more excited and it will be more memorable. Forget your worries. If it's Paris you want, then I assume you've been watching the air specials to Paris - under $400. Now would be a good the time to go - good exchange rate. But take some warm clotes - highs in the 40's, maybe 50's. And get the Cheap Eats book and use it. The weather will be the same, NYC or Paris - it's winter. Both are great cities. Go where you really want to go, and don't be practical. Ciao.

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 11:20 AM
Kelly

I've been to both cities. I really love Paris and would like to go there. But this is a Christmas/birthday gift to my sister & I want her to choose. Airfare is not an issue because ny husband works for an airline. Paris would be cheaper that is for sure, but again it is gift and I don't want to put restrictions on a gift. I told my sister that I think Paris is more a once-in-a-lifetime as my husband may not work for the airline forever and then the arifare would play a role. But both cities have a lot to offer. January isn't they greatest time for either city, considering the weather, but it is best for both of us.

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 11:42 AM
AC

Hi Kelly:
Where are you flying from?
If someone told me that it was a once in a lifetime....then there's no question. Paris!!!! Forget about jetlag you'll have no problem getting over it after you've been there!
How easy is a trip to NY for you?
Is it something you can do another time?

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 12:41 PM
Kelly

We are flying from Houston. I certainly think New York in the future would be much more accessible than Paris.

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 12:58 PM
Bob Brown

You pose a good question. Because of the langugage, Paris does need from more preparation. (Like studying subway routes and whatnot so that you can find your way about.)I have been in Paris more frequently recently than New York, so I may have a bias. My big concern is that 3 days is not enough to see much.
In a total of 9 days, we still stones unturned. The same is true of New York.
Also, if one of the 3 days is the day you come back, you really don't have but 2.5 days, depending upon when your return flight leaves. Getting from downtown Paris to CDG airport is no trivial matter.
Another question, you did not indicated how experienced and how adept at traveling you are. I am also assuming that all involved have valid passports.

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 01:00 PM
Rachel

Paris in a heartbeat.

Old Dec 11th, 2000, 08:02 AM
Christina

I wouldn't worry so much about jet lag coming back as going over, you didn't mention that. I get jet lag going to Europe from East Coast, but recover fairly quickly on return because I am in my home, routine, etc -- but my jet lag going over is so bad I do not enjoy much the first couple of days. I think you could be making some assumptions that may not be true, like why would this be a once-in-a-lifetime experience? You can get cheap airfares to Europe, including Paris, from Nov thru Feb or March, any year, for only a few hundred dollars. You said Paris is cheaper (I assume you meant hotels, which is true, but that's about it), so if you are willing to spend so much on a NY hotel, you could easily budget that amt to spend on air to Paris some time when there is more than 3 days available for the trip (or your sister could). I would choose NY due to the time frame and jet lag; I think you may be biasing her (perhaps you are even unaware of your bias) by telling her this is her only chance to go to Paris in her whole life because you want to go there. However, neither is bad and given this is a rather extravagant gift by my family's standards, if you are covering all costs and hotel bills, I do think you have a right to state your own preferences for Paris if she really can't decide, as it is a considerable investment of your own, aside from the gift part. A lot of people think it costs a lot more to go to Europe than it does and easily blow as much or more on vacations in the US or to Mexico or the Caribbean.

Old Dec 11th, 2000, 02:58 PM
Diane

Figure NYC hotel will be $240per night. I'd do Paris and spend the exta $$ on wonderful meals and a special souvenir. NYC is walkable in nice weather. Paris is walkable in any weather.

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 04:53 AM
Lori

Paris, Paris, Paris!!! but I live in NY

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 07:41 AM
SharonM

PARIS!!!

I've done whirlwind trips to Europe several times (Friday-Monday) and although you do have to deal w/ jetlag, if it's all the same I'd rather be tired in Paris. Guess it just depends on what you want to do or experience!

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 09:00 AM
Sandi

Kelly,

Another vote for PARIS! Don't let jetlag get you down... just try to sleep on the plane, drink lots of water, avoid alcohol and soda. I agree that three days is not a long enough time to properly visit Paris, but you've got to make do with what you've got. I was in Paris for only two days but it was so worth it. I would have seen a lot more if the Metro would have run later then 12:00, believe me.

Hope you choose Paris, but I've never been to New York. So I guess my opinion is biased, too. Have fun wherever you go!

Sandi

Old Dec 14th, 2000, 03:09 PM
Wolfgang

Just returned from NYC (Oct 00) and have been to Paris in '70s,'80s and '90s (once each decade) and agree with dwoodard. Paris is walkable anytime. Just being in Paris is an adventure. Traveling by Metro is easy and it's very clean. Found the people to be very friendly. Museums probably won't be crowded in Jan. You can always see NYC. If it's once in lifetime, it has to be Paris!

Old Dec 14th, 2000, 03:53 PM
tj

I live in London and I think Paris! It is a charming European city. Will be cold though(like New York!)

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 12:16 PM
jean

Since I live in N.Y. I would pick Paris . In fact we were there for 11 days in Nov. It rained for 9 of them and was windy and raw the other two!
Paris in nasty weather is no better than N.Y. in the same weather. Getting around by N.Y. subway and bus is easier than Paris and less pickpockets . Paris is certainly a beautiful city but bad weather is a big factor. Go for NEW YORK!!! You won't regret it!

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 12:35 PM
kk

I just got off the phone with the eurail company ordering my tickets. We both commented on the bad weather in Paris in the winter and said "SO WHAT!! I can't wait to go again."

The weather in Paris doesn't stop you just like rain in June doesn't stop a 6 year old in Disney world.

NY is so close, you could drive there on a long trip.