Reload this Page >

new york on july 4th

Search

new york on july 4th

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:31 AM
rex

new york on july 4th

my wife and 2 teenage sons will be in the city for the 4th of July.any ideas on best ways to enjoy the celebration.this is our first visit to the city.Is a habor tour a good idea to see the fireworks?any ideas are appreciated as we have a few days to take it in .thanks,Rex

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:44 AM
Matt

It depends on the tour. The East River gets closed to boat traffic pretty early, and many small craft line up early in the afternoon. I usually don't see many party boats in the river by the time the fireworks start. I'd say watching from the FDR (closed to traffic) is probably a better idea, though it gets very crowded.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:55 AM
John K

Hi Rex,
I agree with Matt. A harbor tour is nice but not for the fireworks. You can stand along the East River on the FDR Drive and although it will be crowded you'll have a great time.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:14 AM
trivia geek

Interesting bit of NY trivia, every few years in the past Macy's would alternate their July 4 fireworks between the East River and Hudson River. However, when Macy's exited bankruptcy in the mid-1990's a clause was slipped into the settlement obligated Macy's to have the official display over the East River only.

Rumor has it that the bankruptcy judge had an apartment that just happended to overlook the East River.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:40 AM
Merilee

Another good idea is to watch the fireworks from Southstreet Seaport...the interior of the building can best be described as a mall (shops, restaurants and food court) and it does get crowded, but if you get there early enough you can get a seat on one of the levels overlooking the river or stand just about anywhere...I prefer it to the FDR Drive because (to me) it's easier to leave and you can always go to a restaurant, the food court, shop, or use the facilities...there's also entertainment throughout the day and of course into the evening.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:15 AM
suzanne

Last year they didn't have fireworks down by the Seaport. I know because I live directly across the river from there. Two years ago they had them. The locations along the East River might change from year to year.

There ARE boat tours to see the fireworks...I hear there is a great one on one of the "tall ships". Sorry, I don't have any further info on this.

I wouldn't recommend FDR drive. I did that once...it was the worst 4th of my life. The crowding was atrocious, you couldn't sit down for hours, and they barricaded the entry roads in such a way that you had to walk thru a mile-long maze to get up there.

It would be better to see it from the roof or high floor of a building facing the East River. Wish I could give you more info than that.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Sparkle

If you're talking about the 4th of July fireworks spectacular put on by the Brucci family courtesy of Macy's you can see them from the South Street Seaport because that's where I go with friends every year. All you have to do is look up at the sky. Good spot.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 08:11 AM
I love

You can also see them from the Brooklyn side of the river. Great time to be had there!