Search

Spring Break Impact in Florida Keys

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring Break Impact in Florida Keys

Hello,
I have a work trip tentatively planned for Miami the week of 4/14. We are thinking about having my husband joining me at the end and going down to the Keys for a few days. Have never been there and always wanted to go. I would like to know from the experts if the Keys gets crazy with kids celebrating spring break? Is this a time we should avoid the area? Is there any specific place we should avoid?

Thank you in advance for your help! - Deb
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 05:58 PM

The Keys are about hundred miles long so where are you going - Key West? Key West tends to be a little wild most of the times anyways and super crowded with the cruise ships are docked. Need a little more information on what you are thinking about.
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 06:47 AM

Accommodations' prices in Key West have hiked so much in recent years that it's no longer a favorite for spring breakers. In addition to the high prices, students' IDs are very carefully checked, so that eliminates quite a few prospective partiers. I wouldn't hesitate to drive down to Key West, but count on it being at least a four hour drive. The highway is two-lane in many stretches, and there's an area devoted to a key deer refuge where speed limits are lower, too.
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 06:53 AM

The Keys are the last place the college kids go to... the drinking age is 21... very few properties(if any) allow 10 kids sharing a room, and there are fewer wide beaches... also the room prices are in season and high...

You might see some kids with their parents, but that's harmless... you may run into groups in South Beach, but that's about as far as they go...
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 05:52 AM

OK, the Keys are not "Crazy" with spring breakers, but if you don't think spring break draws higher then normal numbers of college age kids bent on partying you are really out of touch. But don't listen to me...go to youtube and search for "Key West" "spring break" and contain the search for only the last couple of years and spend some time viewing the videos/picture collages. Again, it isn't anything like it used to be or is currently in the places more favored by spring breakers, but it is hardly non-existent. I think some people forget (1) not every college kid is under 21 and (2) not every college kid is on a severely tight budget.
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 07:22 AM

Debtogo, this site REALLY works better when we have a conversation. I don't like talking to a blank wall. Come back with some answers to our question so that we can give better information rather than guessing what you might be interested in doing.
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 08:26 AM

Another option is to check tripadvisor.com Some of their DEs live in Key West and I'm sure they have more personal experience than we visitors do.
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 09:14 AM

Our spring break is usually in March. Do spring breaks run that late into April?
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 05:15 AM

Most Florida colleges have spring break in March.